Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Dacannon

Drives: 2010 ABM 2LTRS, E46 330XI
First App Radio Install pics

Hello all I have just completed my install of the new Pioneer App radio personally I love it for what it offer simplicity for those of us that live of our iPhones. Having an unlimited data plan sure helps and eliminates the need of on star nav services or the need of discs to update. Having live traffic and up to date maps was a no brainer paired with bluetooth and ability to play netflix. Enjoy will upload more as soon as possible.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dacannon; 10-08-2011 at 01:54 AM. Reason: new pics
Dacannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
MikeGstayUp

Drives: 2013 SS in the future
Very nice, I've been curious about this unit. Give us a review of it once you use it for a bit. Pros...cons...
Old 09-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
Dacannon

OK so i been playing with it all week and here is what i have so far.
Pros:
1). Integrates well with the iPhone for calls, Navigation based upon preferred app I use the maps app that comes with the iPhone however there is also apps that give you turn by turn navigation. You can also run the map and pandora,radio, or iPod playback big plus for me.
2). Pandora shines in here in my opinion based on how you have your pandora set up I hardly have to change songs.
3). Option to view rear back up camera whenever you please if installed.
4). Ability to read see preview of incoming text therefore eliminating the need to stop and look at phone.
5). Always a plus when future apps will be added makes it somewhat future proof.
6). Jailbreaking the phone allows you to play video without having to do a bypass.

CONS:
1) Limited to Iphone 4 and iPod touch current version.
2) Ability to customize the look as far as background you are only limited to two. (However there is a way to add your own back ground when updating new Firmware)
3) RCA connection only has one makes it difficult for a simple integration with the BA system.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
kenkartasasmita
COTW [4/23/12]

Drives: Camaro Of The Week.
may i know the total price of that thing include install plus how many hours to install? please?
kenkartasasmita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
Dacannon

App radio

I bought the app radio off locally not retail but the cheapest I've found it was on amazon as well as the metra kit if you decide to add the back up camera it will be under 700 for entire set up. Around 550 with no camera. Time to install depending on how familiar you are with your interior and the wiring may take 8 hrs total I'd say. Reason it took me this long was due to removing parts of the interior that the instructions said to but were not necessary.
If your looking for a cheap metro kit I have one that I got when I bought this set up. Pm if interested
Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
macc24

Drives: IOM w/racing stripes black matte
Where do you connect to the iPhone? Does it stream the apps over bluetooth or is there a hard connection only. I'm currently looking at this set up too.
IOM Black Racing Stripes Current Mods: CAI Intake, Solo Catback Exhaust (thanks to my awesome wife! 10 year anniversary), Solo Hi Flow Cats. Future Mods: Ported Throttle body, Tune (by a player to be named later) Miniature Arc Reactor.

macc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Dacannon

There is a hard connection that has enough slack to wire it through either A) your glove compartment B) center console where arm rest sits C) Route through arm rest and have it connected to the USB using what another member here suggested D) route the cord on a iphone mount that will allow you to still see the phone and mess with it arm distance. Basically you have plenty of options as far as streaming I dont think you can do that. However remember this is just the beginning as it has already received one update and who knows what other or future updates might be added. You can actually use a jailbroken iphone to display anything your phone is displaying
Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
macc24

Drives: IOM w/racing stripes black matte
Thanks! Keep us posted!
IOM Black Racing Stripes Current Mods: CAI Intake, Solo Catback Exhaust (thanks to my awesome wife! 10 year anniversary), Solo Hi Flow Cats. Future Mods: Ported Throttle body, Tune (by a player to be named later) Miniature Arc Reactor.

macc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Now they need to make one for Android!! Sweet setup.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Dacannon

Had a member ask some questions here are my responses.

1. The steering wheel functions are retained through the metra kit therefore you would not need another wire for the app radio in order to retain steering wheel functions and yes I am able to make phone calls via hands free that is if you still use onstar. The only thing you will loose is the functionality of the usb in the center console it will still charge the phone or whatever device you connect to it but it will not be read through the app radio.(I don't know if that makes sense).

2. The app radio comes with an external mic that I mounted on the driver side and I have programmed the app radio via bluetooth to be able to receive and make calls. you have to sync your phone book in order to avoid having to dial each number individually.

3. The issues that I have since install are sometimes I have a frozen screen and forces me to re start the unit. Which then resets the whole unit loosing radio stations time and custom settings. Not a big deal to me. The other issue I have right now is that I am attempting to connect two amps which in the case of this radio there is only one channel so now have to go a different route. Other than that I do not regret this radio I use my Iphone frequently and appreciate the screen size for my maps and ease of use of Pandora and with the new IOS I hope they come up with an update to use SIRI on this radio it would make things so much better having everything accessed through voice commands.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Not to bring back a dead thread but so from what I read in your initial review, if my iPhone is jailbroken, I'd be able to stream videos from Netflix, YouTube, or the iOS video app itself onto the radio without having to do a bypass of the unit?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Dacannon

If you have a jailbroken iphone there is an app from the cydia market well not an app but a package called app radio extensions that allows you to control the app radio in a fashion not allowed through the regular app all it does it integrates with the app required to use the radio and allows you to use the app radio as if it was your iphone on the screen. If you are familiar with the jailbreak community then you can understand what I am trying to explain. The other method is to use the jailbroken Iphone to mirror everything on your iphone screen to your app radio display so with this youll be able to use netflix at any time without having to be in park or needing to do a bypass. However the down fall to that is that you must have your iphone mounted in a manner where the display wont switch from horizontal to vertical because it will also do that on the app radio.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Dacannon

I seen your other post asking about this and I for one love it with the additions of new apps and support from developers it shows the potential of this device I commute a lot and use my Iphone heavily so this is a convenience for me another source for you to refer to is appradiocentral.com
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks great

Tags
app radio, iphone 4, metra kit, pioneer