Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #113
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Another pic
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #114
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
look i was there. i remember... and I know numbers matching Z28's. i know exactly what they are meant for. i also know the name was used and a 350 was put in them later. (why, i have no idea).

this is a fauxe Z28. you wanna talk historical. ok, let's...

z28 should be LIGHT, have a 5 liter engine with 400hp. no frills, no nav, no 427, no irs, none of this stuff the fauxe Z28 is gonna hve.

chevrolet built a 427 hammer to bludgeon a 5 liter BOSS. just, there is no boss anymore.

call it a 427 camaro, and call it quits.the new car is NOT a Z28....in the original iteration.

You do realize the 302 came about because of a displacement cap, not because it was the ultimate racing engine, right? The displacement cap moved up, which is why the 70's went to a 350.

you bring up the original intent, not me. the 69 427 camaros were epic.

so, if i have a different opinion that is not lock step , you have a problem? ive been on C5 long enough to remember all of the fanboishness when the SS was introduced.

i have a right to display disappointment in being left out. i wanted a DAG-blamed 427 factory camaro i can never get. yes im on the right forum to post an opinion about the 2014 Z28. all of my posts are relevant just not ones you personally like.
You said the Camaro was a muscle car that never was intended to handle and I disagreed.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #115
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
look i was there. i remember... and I know numbers matching Z28's. i know exactly what they are meant for. i also know the name was used and a 350 was put in them later. (why, i have no idea).
SCCA relaxed the engine rule to permit 5.0L engines derived from production car engines of other displacements. IIRC, Pontiac even met the 5.0L limit with a really short stroke (2.8") version of their 400/428/455 engines (Google "Pontiac 303", which never existed as a production engine). So there actually is precedent for Trans-Am-legal engines being sourced from engines whose displacement numbers are associated with "big blocks".

Quote:
z28 should be LIGHT, have a 5 liter engine with 400hp. no frills, no nav, no 427, no irs, none of this stuff the fauxe Z28 is gonna have.
The fact that the 5th gen isn't light (and the 6th gen still won't be light enough) puts you in the position of needing more displacement. That you have a problem with the IRS leads me to suspect that you'd also be opposed to DOHC, so you'd still be into the over-5.0 displacement thing for at least a liter and a half - you need more than 6.2L just to get clear of the SS/1LE level. At least for the short run, you might as well use the 7.0 that you already do have.

Quote:
i have a right to display disappointment in being left out. i wanted a DAG-blamed 427 factory camaro i can never get. yes im on the right forum to post an opinion about the 2014 Z28. all of my posts are relevant just not ones you personally like.
Perhaps now you've had a glimpse of what it's like to be a corner-carving enthusiast, when the vast majority of emphasis on automotive performance is devoted to big power and straight line acceleration.

Don't expect a ton of sympathy now that the shoe is on a different foot.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #116
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
...i have a right to display disappointment in being left out. i wanted a DAG-blamed 427 factory camaro i can never get. yes im on the right forum to post an opinion about the 2014 Z28. all of my posts are relevant just not ones you personally like.
I don't understand why you're all bent out of shape and think you're a victim and acting like somehow you've been screwed over by GM. I'm guessing probably every Camaro owner on this thread has modified their car which is something pretty much every Camaro owner does. Guys add power in various ways including engine swaps all the time. It's no big deal. Since you already said you don't care what it's called, meaning the badge on the side is not an issue, why don't you just stop complaining and buy a 1SS or 2SS and get a 427 put in it?

There HAS to be good speed shops in Alabama that can do the swap. You could get all that done and still be under $50k which is the price point you said you wished the Z/28 was going to be at. Then you'd have your custom 427 Camaro.

You aren't being "left out" of the Z/28 experience because it wasn't and isn't intended to be what you want which is just a large displacement straight-line street car. The ZL1 is more like what you want but even then it's forced induction rather than a large cubic inch naturally aspirated engine. And it costs more than swapping a 427 into a 1 or 2SS.

Stop complaining and pretending that everybody has gotten exactly the Camaro they want from the factory; it's not that kind of car. It's a starting point for customization which is what EVERYBODY pretty much does with it. Change your attitude/view of it, get a car, modify it the way you want like everybody else does and join the fun. You're missing out on a great car experience and there's absolutely no good reason for it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #117
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
The concept Black ZL1 shown (2 created, potential COPO 9787 assigned but never factory-built) was Piggins' attempt to get more volume, but its likely $9,000 tag was the final killer.

COPO 9560 (ZL1 engine - 69 built) + COPO 9737 (Sports Car Conversion Pkg, created for Don Yenko but orderable by anyone) = the closest thing to a ZL1-Z/28. Exactly TWO of the 69 were ordered (#3 - Berger, #69 - Huebner). Z/28 15" Rally wheels/tires, suspension and 140 mph speedo were included. Curb Weight similar to Z/28.

http://www.camaros.org/9560list.shtml

Curiously, NO Black COPO 9560s were factory-assembled. Tuxedo Black was "restricted availability" before COPO 9560 "volume" production commenced and then discontinued after April 1st (no fooling).

Last edited by SEVEN-OH JOE; 08-08-2013 at 09:17 AM.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #118
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
The concept Black ZL1 shown (2 created, potential COPO 9787 assigned but never factory-built) was Piggins' attempt to get more volume, but its likely $9,000 tag was the final killer.

COPO 9560 (ZL1 engine - 69 built) + COPO 9737 (Sports Car Conversion Pkg, created for Don Yenko but orderable by anyone) = the closest thing to a ZL1-Z/28. Exactly TWO of the 69 were ordered (#3 - Berger, #69 - Huebner). Z/28 15" Rally wheels/tires, suspension and 140 mph speedo were included. Curb Weight similar to Z/28.

http://www.camaros.org/9560list.shtml

Curiously, NO Black COPO 9560s were factory-assembled. Tuxedo Black was "restricted availability" before COPO 9560 "volume" production commenced and then discontinued after April 1st (no fooling).

The great thing is now the 2014 Z/28 has the best of the best components.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 08-08-2013 at 01:38 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #119
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Loving the history lesson in this thread!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #120
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

???
Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #121
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
..talk out loud, speak your mind, we are all good here.....
Old 08-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #122
z28man2

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Coupe IOM
Al Oppenheiser can sure walk around every question that was asked super well. I never seen someone dance so well since micheal jackson recorded his thriller video.
z28man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #123
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28man2 View Post
Al Oppenheiser can sure walk around every question that was asked super well. I never seen someone dance so well since micheal jackson recorded his thriller video.
...spell check would help your cause somewhat....besides, you spew alot of vitriolic rhetoric for a ZL1 owner....things that make you go hmmmmmmm............
Old 08-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #124
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...spell check would help your cause somewhat....besides, you spew alot of vitriolic rhetoric for a ZL1 owner....things that make you go hmmmmmmm............
What he said!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #125
z28man2

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Coupe IOM
Quote:
KAT or CAT your right spell check would work if i used it..... You must be brainwashed by GM
z28man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #126
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28man2 View Post
KAT or CAT your right spell check would work if i used it..... You must be brainwashed by GM
...I am objective rather than subjective in my thought process, and thanks for siding with me on the spelling point. I am not brainwashed, and have been critical more often than not with the product. I will end saying I have worn the Bowtie for almost 40 years though. So, I am brand biased to a point. I am dyed in the wool Camaro!