Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Upgraded BMR suspension creaks (Install Issue?)

Last weekend I added outer Trailing Arm Bushings to my suspension build. While doing that I found the source of the creaking sound I have been hearing. So I recorded a video:

The squeaking was there before I did the Trailing Arm outer bushings.

Any theories? The rides seems a bit stiffer after all the bushings.

Could it be they were not "timed"? (I did not do the install.)

Could it be they were not lubed?

Also after my test drive it seemed to me the suspension compliance suffered a little. I wonder about binding....

As to the outer Trailing arm bushings I did this:

1. I Loosely tightened the 4 outer through bolts on the jackstands. I needed to also unbolt the Lower Control Arm on both side and raise the trailing arm to pull out the TA bolts.

2. I put the wheels back on and drove the back end up a set of ramps.

3. Since I could not get my prehistoric torque wrench in there I pulled on an 8 inch box end pretty hard. Think I could over shoot 80 lbs? I do hit the gym on a regular basis.

4. Even if i did overshoot a little doesn't the outer link bushing design preclude binding?

Loving the handling and the overall neutral feel of the car. And no more wheelhop or step-out with the outer TA bushings.

But creaking and worrying about binding? :(

Last edited by Fraxum; 07-10-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
If greased properly, a poly bushing doesn't even need to be timed. The OE rubber bushings need it because the inner sleeve of the bushing is bonded to the rubber so it must actually twist the rubber to rotate. Poly bushings have a free-floating internal sleeve so they can't bind. It sounds like you just need more lube. If you said the noise was there before you installed the outer bushings (at the spindle), it must be the front trailing arm bushings. I would pump more grease into the front bushing. If they were installed without any grease on the outer surfaces it will take a few pumps and some suspension cycling to lube those surfaces. Our bushings have internal flutes that direct grease from the inside to the outer thrust surfaces so it will take a few pumps to get the grease out there plus some cycling to spread it onto the thrust surface. If you still have some noise just lower the trailing arm and re-grease the outer bushing surfaces.

Let us know how it goes!
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
If greased properly, a poly bushing doesn't even need to be timed. The OE rubber bushings need it because the inner sleeve of the bushing is bonded to the rubber so it must actually twist the rubber to rotate. Poly bushings have a free-floating internal sleeve so they can't bind. It sounds like you just need more lube. If you said the noise was there before you installed the outer bushings (at the spindle), it must be the front trailing arm bushings. I would pump more grease into the front bushing. If they were installed without any grease on the outer surfaces it will take a few pumps and some suspension cycling to lube those surfaces. Our bushings have internal flutes that direct grease from the inside to the outer thrust surfaces so it will take a few pumps to get the grease out there plus some cycling to spread it onto the thrust surface. If you still have some noise just lower the trailing arm and re-grease the outer bushing surfaces.
Let us know how it goes!
Oh I forgot to mention that before I installed the OTA bushings with grease I had "professionally" installed:

BMR Pro Cradle bushings
BMR Pro Diff bushngs
BMR Adjustable sways
BMR Toe rods
BMR Trailing Arms

So which of these are possible culprits? I can get grease in those culprits without taking things apart? What kind of grease?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Make sure your sway bars are lubed properly, mine creaked a little then I re-lubed them and all better!
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
I'd vote sways too.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Oh I forgot to mention that before I installed the OTA bushings with grease I had "professionally" installed:

BMR Pro Cradle bushings
BMR Pro Diff bushngs
BMR Adjustable sways
BMR Toe rods
BMR Trailing Arms

So which of these are possible culprits? I can get grease in those culprits without taking things apart? What kind of grease?
I would re grease everything except the diff. The pro that installed didn't grease properly. Take it back.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
Make sure your sway bars are lubed properly, mine creaked a little then I re-lubed them and all better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
I'd vote sways too.
Sways. Thanks, I will try that first.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhog View Post
I would re grease everything except the diff. The pro that installed didn't grease properly. Take it back.
It's just a pain. The shop is a reputable engine builder, but I suppose they do not get a lot of suspension work. They did put the rear sway on upside down. But that was an easy fix. I wanted to adjust them to max anyway.

If the diff has to come out I will take it back.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Lube the parts that are simple to get to first. I would start off lubing the trailing arms, toe rods, and sway bars. After you get these lubed up see if the noise is still there or not. If it is move on to the more difficult stuff. I have a feeling that it is more than likely the sway bars will be the culprit. Let us know what you find.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Fraxum

After lubing the rear sway bar and giving it some time I still have the squeaky rear. Will I have to drop the differential to get at the bushings? Or should I try to back to my installer. That was a year ago.

Any one else have bushing squeak?

I also now have occasional popping sounds from the rear. End links?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
After lubing the rear sway bar and giving it some time I still have the squeaky rear. Will I have to drop the differential to get at the bushings? Or should I try to back to my installer. That was a year ago.

Any one else have bushing squeak?

I also now have occasional popping sounds from the rear. End links?
The front trailing arm bushing should be simple to enough to lube without a lot of disassembly. Before disassembling anything just put a few pumps of grease into the front trailing arm bushings. If it wasn't the sway bar, I would be willing to bet it is the front trailing arm bushings. Either they didn't get enough grease in there or they used a non-silicon grease that has washed out and needs re-greased. As for the popping sound, I would definitely check the sway bar end links. Loose end link bolts are a common issue with these cars...
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
The front trailing arm bushing should be simple to enough to lube without a lot of disassembly. Before disassembling anything just put a few pumps of grease into the front trailing arm bushings. If it wasn't the sway bar, I would be willing to bet it is the front trailing arm bushings. Either they didn't get enough grease in there or they used a non-silicon grease that has washed out and needs re-greased. As for the popping sound, I would definitely check the sway bar end links. Loose end link bolts are a common issue with these cars...
Okay, Upper TA bushings are next. And while I am under there I will look at the end links.

First, I gotta get that old Forester out of the garage. Fixing it up to go off to college.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
RaiderSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 DeadBLK
Quote:
Okay, Upper TA bushings are next. And while I am under there I will look at the end links.

First, I gotta get that old Forester out of the garage. Fixing it up to go off to college.

Did you find the cause of the rear squeaking?

I have the following BMR pieces out back:
Solid Cradle mounts
Poly diff mounts
Adjustable Lower Control arms
Racing sways
spherical toe rods
spherical end links
spherical rear control arms
poly outer control arm bushing
inner upper control arm bushing

Re-Lubed the outer control arm bush and Lower control arm bushings but squeaking still there.

Re-lubing the sways tonight but I'm starting to think its the upper control arms or the cradle mounts didn't seat properly...

What cured yours?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderSS View Post
Did you find the cause of the rear squeaking?

I have the following BMR pieces out back:
Solid Cradle mounts
Poly diff mounts
Adjustable Lower Control arms
Racing sways
spherical toe rods
spherical end links
spherical rear control arms
poly outer control arm bushing
inner upper control arm bushing

Re-Lubed the outer control arm bush and Lower control arm bushings but squeaking still there.

Re-lubing the sways tonight but I'm starting to think its the upper control arms or the cradle mounts didn't seat properly...

What cured yours?
No cure. I greased every place I could grease. Still squeaking. I ended up keeping that Subaru mentioned above. Maybe ill just drive that until the next generation of PonyMuscle cars come out and dump the Camaro.