Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #393
MTMTE

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Transformer Edition
Maybe it was mentioned, but why was the GT500 about 8K more than its base?
MTMTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #394
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Awesome video!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #395
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Finally the video

Very impressive performance from both cars. They are both so different in performance delivery/execution and styling but so close in performance and price it should make it really easy for consumer to decide between the two. I'm personally gonna wait until that new IRS makes an appearance under the GT500 and is tested before I make my decision.

Last edited by Truck Norris; 06-28-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #396
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMTE View Post
Maybe it was mentioned, but why was the GT500 about 8K more than its base?
SVT Performance and Track package $6,490
Recaro seating $1,595

The rest is all electronics and audio stuff

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #397
MTMTE

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
SVT Performance and Track package $6,490
Recaro seating $1,595

The rest is all electronics and audio stuff
Thanks
MTMTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #398
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
The things that make the 5th gen the best Camaro ever and the zL1 an even better Camaro also make it heavier.
The Camaro has a more solid body structure, IRS, etc.
the ZL1 has a 9.9" rear end, etc. etc. to make it track ready.
I just wonder how well the mustang is going hold up?

The items that I would change or are easily changeable on the Camaro
Would be a pulley swap and tune, I would still have less in the ZL1 than a GT500 with a track pack-oddly named since the car is not track ready if the brakes go away.
1 thing the Camaro needs that would also help it on the track would be to get the redline
Up another 500 rpms with an attendant hp increase. Being able to hold a lower gear a little longer and to have a little more power would help its track times a bit.
To me the Camaro is the more well rounded and sorted out car, the mustang just has an amazing engine that makes up for its mild deficiencies.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #399
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
^ According to the video handling wasn't the GT500's problem at all, it was it lack of braking performance. Fix that and its gonna take a lot more then a pulley/ tune on a ZL1 to beat it, especially after watching what Torq's pullied, long tubed, tuned and DR's ZL1 did against a X-pipe, tune'd, and DR'd GT500 in the 1/4.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #400
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Great read. A true dog fight.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #401
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
"I'm in car guy heaven right here"
"A little smoke never hurt anyone"
"Oh that's minor"

Seems to me all the 'Stang needs is a pad upgrade. I also found it interesting the way the editor keep trying to get Randy to acknowledge flaws in the Shelby. It was pretty obvious the reviewer favoured the Camaro. And it was equally obvious that Randy respected and appreciated the Camaro but his racer heart belonged to the Mustang. I've said it before, the current battle of the pony are is a tie, an individuals bias or preference will decide it as much as skill. Buy the one you like, respect the other. Or if you can buy both and really piss the lot of us Ford vs Chevy guys off. Great video, thanks.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #402
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think the Ford guys on this site just want to see some respect that the GT500 is a very formidable opponent for the ZL1 where ever the meet.

It has done just about everything either GM said it wouldnt be able to do, or the hype machine for the ZL1 said that the GT500 couldnt do.

AL O. ZL1 will be faster to 60. Nope
GT500 wont be able to put power down- Obliterated the ZL1 in the 1/4, and IIRC Probst said it puts power down better than any LRA car should be able to.

Then its the GT500 is a one trick pony and is only good for 1/4 mile blasts, it handles like a brick and can't turn to save its life so it won't be able to touch the ZL1 on a roadcourse.

Its posted faster lap times on two different tracks, tied with it on another and lost on one by 7/10 of a second. I would say thats more then hanging with, I would say thats right there with it, on a outdated chassis, outdated suspension, and as we have seen now in the mag reviews suspect brakes. Now I agree the ZL1 will be the more track ready/friendly vehicle bc of the advanced suspension, brakes etc. And I also understand why the mags gave the nod to the ZL1, its a fantastic car

Then I hear oh put that extra money into the ZL1 and see what happens, well if GM had option packages Im sure they would have. these are stock cars being compared here, so toss that argument out.

Then I see compare the ZR-1 to the GT500, totally different class of cars, price range etc etc.

I even saw in a different thread that its not fair to compare the GT500 to the ZL1 bc its not a production car I don't even know what to say to that haha.

I know this is a GM forum and there is a natural hatred for Ford hahaha, but stop calling the GT500 a straightline only vehicle. I think the tests have shown it can more then hold its own on a roadcourse,

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #403
Knight_Rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The last comment from the video sums it up. "Because you don't drive everywhere a quarter mile at a time." Although the Ford is a fair competitor they clearly pick the Chevy as the better car. Not my words theirs. Second thought those are my words too!
Knight_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #404
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyroche View Post
Thats debatable. With Fords decision to go for max HP... they essentially put the GT500 in a higher class. So really the GT500 should be facing say a Z06 or ZR1. Ford tried to make a super car, well the ZL1 is not a super car. Its a supercharged muscle car you can take to the track. The Z06 is a track/racing supercar. And the ZR1 is Chevy's top dog. If your going to put the GT500 up for fair competition, well it won't be against the ZL1
So 4 place stick axle high centre of gravity car should be tested against a 2 place, 4 wheel suspended, knee high sports car? Seriously, didn't the Camaro have enough of an advantage in tech for you?

Last edited by Fenderaddict2; 06-29-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #405
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
^ According to the video handling wasn't the GT500's problem at all, it was it lack of braking performance. Fix that and its gonna take a lot more then a pulley/ tune on a ZL1 to beat it, especially after watching what Torq's pullied, long tubed, tuned and DR's ZL1 did against a X-pipe, tune'd, and DR'd GT500 in the 1/4.
I'm not a ford engineer, so take this for what its worth, but the current theory is that the reason there is no brake duct option is because it would effect aero. It might cause lift at high speed. It needs experimenting, testing and such. If it were simple it would be a standard option.

I'm not saying it can't be done. But if you mod the brakes on the gt500 then what does the zl1 get to mod?

Now you've entered the infinite mod loop zone.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #406
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Rider View Post
The last comment from the video sums it up. "Because you don't drive everywhere a quarter mile at a time." Although the Ford is a fair competitor they clearly pick the Chevy as the better car. Not my words theirs. Second thought those are my words too!
Not last comment in video. Watch the credits.