Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Vararam no-tune versus tune-only pics?

I supposedly have one of each, but can't tell the difference between them. I know it's only the tail section that is different, but if there is a difference it's very subtle. There appears to be a slight variation but it's so small that it may only be minor inconsistancies in the molds. Anyone have a picture of them together?

Here is my two.
Attached Images

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
do you has a tape measure?
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
do you has a tape measure?
Yes but it's really so close to the same and with the curves, getting a good comparison is tough. Based on their description I thought the difference would be obvious.

She is only memory now.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Nasty1970

Drives: 2011 Red 2SS RS Convertible
i thought the air filters were different....
[/IMG]

1970 Camaro ,2011 Red Convertible 2SS,2008 Saturn Sky,2012 Jeep Wrangler
Nasty1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty1970 View Post
i thought the air filters were different....
No they are using the same filter.

She is only memory now.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I'm going to guess that your "tune" version is the bottom one in your picture?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I'm going to guess that your "tune" version is the bottom one in your picture?
Correct. What are you seeing that I'm not, other than a little dirt at the bottom of the seal on the top one?

She is only memory now.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

I thought that I had read that the tune version had some volume removed to keep the car streetable without a tune. I swear I've seen how much volume was removed somewhere, but I can't recall...

Looking at the picture I can see that the tune version appears that it may have a bigger volume than the no tune version. Key things that jump out at me are...

1) on top of the opening the sides appear to stick in slightly farther, have less of a radius, and it's squared off, where as the tune version appears to be much more of a larger radius, not sticking out as far, and a large radius above the inlet.

2) It may just be the picture angle but the on bottom of the inlet on the tune version seems to dip down and have a large radius, where as the no tune bottom appears to be more flat.

3) It appears the "back wall" on the tune version seem to head to the inlet at a steeper angle, but hard to say.

Overall the inside of the tune version appears to be more rounded with large radii everywhere, which would probably make it flow better.

A picture from the top down of both units may show more of what I have noticed. The differences I see in the pieces do indicate a different mold.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 08-10-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I thought that I had read that the tune version had some volume removed to keep the car streetable without a tune. I swear I've seen how much volume was removed somewhere, but I can't recall...

Looking at the picture I can see that the tune version appears that it may have a bigger volume than the no tune version. Key things that jump out at me are...

1) on top of the opening the sides appear to stick in slightly farther, have less of a radius, and it's squared off, where as the tune version appears to be much more of a larger radius, not sticking out as far, and a large radius above the inlet.

2) It may just be the picture angle but the on bottom of the inlet on the tune version seems to dip down and have a large radius, where as the no tune bottom appears to be more flat.

3) It appears the "back wall" on the tune version seem to head to the inlet at a steeper angle, but hard to say.

Overall the inside of the tune version appears to be more rounded with large radii everywhere, which would probably make it flow better.

A picture from the top down of both units may show more of what I have noticed. The differences I see in the pieces do indicate a different mold.
Good eye! Patrick is confirming

She is only memory now.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Good eye! Patrick is confirming
You know me... Always analyzing, trying to build a better mouse trap. Please post what Partick has to say, I'm interested to know if I am correct about the volumes being different, or if it's purely from a flow change stand point.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
IndeedSS1

He said first you could take a taylors tape and measure around the neck. There is more of a lip as it approaches the neck on one versus the other. There is also smoother transtions and volume. The way these are made I was expecting more and overlooking the little things that I thought were just inherent.

She is only memory now.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
He said first you could take a taylors tape and measure around the neck. There is more of a lip as it approaches the neck on one versus the other. There is also smoother transtions and volume. The way these are made I was expecting more and overlooking the little things that I thought were just inherent.
Upon second glance, the tune neck does appear to be slightly wider, possibly more oblong than the no tune? The "lip" at the neck of the no tune section seems more pronounced than the tune.

Thanks for the pic, and info. I'm sure it will be helpful to others in the future actually being able to see what the diff is between the two pieces.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
It's really hard to tell the difference for sure! It may just be the angle at which the pics were taken but the top pic looks like the opening is not centered while the bottom one is.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
It's really hard to tell the difference for sure! It may just be the angle at which the pics were taken but the top pic looks like the opening is not centered while the bottom one is.
Mike, you are right pictures are distorting the view. Holding them in your hands, holding them side by side, it's even harder to tell the differences. I'm going to datalog tomorrow and then put the tune-only version on. While both are off I'm going to have another look, now that I know what to look for. VR did say that new employees initially have trouble identifying them, so I don't feel so bad.

She is only memory now.