Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
sting39

Drives: 2007 ss cobalt
Smile about getting 20" all season tires

This information is for all the people that might be interested in being able to get 20" all season tires. I just talked to GM Chevrolet division. I asked them about being able to have a choice of 20" summer or all season tires with the RS package, they told me things could change by the start of production.

I think if enough of us inqury about this, they might consider this.

Their phone number is 1-800-950-2438
The E-mail is Chevrolet.com, go to help center, then go to contact, then to E-Mail division.
sting39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting39 View Post
This information is for all the people that might be interested in being able to get 20" all season tires. I just talked to GM Chevrolet division. I asked them about being able to have a choice of 20" summer or all season tires with the RS package, they told me things could change by the start of production.

The E-mail is Chevrolet.com, go to help center, then go to contact, then to E-Mail division.
I really doubt it. I ak by phone and email. My email answer was, in so many words, "This is the way we are building them, take it or leave it". Sooooo, I told my dealer to take the RS package off.
Anybody still wonder why GM is in trouble???? Even of you live in Alaska you got to have summer tires.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
I really doubt it. I ak by phone and email. My email answer was, in so many words, "This is the way we are building them, take it or leave it". Sooooo, I told my dealer to take the RS package off.
Anybody still wonder why GM is in trouble???? Even of you live in Alaska you got to have summer tires.
Good point. GM should start listening to the customers and stop thinking that everyone has accept what GM offers. GM or any other company should ever think they are untouchable and this crises should prove it to them.
i am sure they can make a deal with tire makers so that they can get them exchanged for a set that would make sense to the customer. It sounds silly for some living in Alaska to purchase a car that has equipment for a hotter climate. What next, a car with only air conditioning, no mattter where you live? Even worse a car with only a heater! :(
Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:

I doubt they will. GM already has a contract with Pirelli for so many summer tires and they most likely have already made and shipped them. Do you really think Pirelli will allow GM to go "Hey we no longer want all these thousands of summer tires you specially made for us. Can you make us some all season tires instead and you can have all the summer tires back. Unfortunately this means that you will be stuck with them for who knows how long causing you to lose ten's of thousands of dollars." Yea I don't thank so. This isn't like some of the other things GM has changed based on our feedback where GM already had the materials available for other trims. This scenario is imo out of GM's control atm. If you want all season tires for your 20's, you're better off waiting till next MY.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I doubt they will. GM already has a contract with Pirelli for so many summer tires and they most likely have already made and shipped them. Do you really think Pirelli will allow GM to go "Hey we no longer want all these thousands of summer tires you specially made for us. Can you make us some all season tires instead and you can have all the summer tires back. Unfortunately this means that you will be stuck with them for who knows how long causing you to lose ten's of thousands of dollars." Yea I don't thank so. This isn't like some of the other things GM has changed based on our feedback where GM already had the materials available for other trims. This scenario is imo out of GM's control atm. If you want all season tires for your 20's, you're better off waiting till next MY.
GM and Pirelli like many other companies uses an on time logistics system, so those tires are not sitting in a GM warehouse waiting to be mounted. They are being produced and shipped in on a daily basis. Being that this tire is not specific to the Camaro, while doubtful, it would definitely be possible for Pirelli to change the tires they ship in if need be. On any given day GM (or whoever is doing the wheel assembly for GM) probably has 2 days worth of backlog of tires at most.

PS I absolutely agree, I NEED all seasons....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
sting39

about 20" all season tires

I see where some of you agree with me. So lets all let GM know, some of us would like 20" all season tires.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
In some environments, all-season tires would be adequate, but they don't work in areas of extensive dryness, wetness, or snow. Just because they can be used in every season doesn't mean that they will grip they way that they should to be safe.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
Barry626

Drives: 2012 Audi A6
Sting39

Forward this thread to GM & who knows might help?

I ordered a 2LT & 2SS both with RS package.
I would also prefer 20 inch "All Season" tires!
Barry626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
sting39

Smile about 20" all season tires

I did some checking on different cars , I found out that Chrysler standard tires on the SRT8, is a P245/45ZR20 all season tire; the dodge challenger offers as a option P245/45ZR20 all season tire, but I don't know the brand of the tire. As you can see their are 20" all season tires available.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #10
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
I have a 2LT RS on order and all season will not help me. I will need 4 winter rated tires after Oct 1 to April 15th. It just became law (in Dec ) in Quebec thay all 4 wheels must be WINTER rated. TOO many dead bodies from preventable accidents with "all season" tires. If you can't afford the tires you can't afford the car.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
sting39

Smile about all season tires

Quote:
I did some checking on different cars , I found out that Chrysler standard tires on the SRT8, is a P245/45ZR20 all season tire; the dodge challenger offers as a option P245/45ZR20 all season tire, but I don't know the brand of the tire. As you can see their are 20" all season tires available.
Firelli tires do make a 20" all season tire, which is called Scorpion Zero, asimmetrico, but they list it as a suv/light truck tire, but they offer in in P245/45ZR20 and P275/40ZR20.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #12
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
Quote:
Firelli tires do make a 20" all season tire, which is called Scorpion Zero, asimmetrico, but they list it as a suv/light truck tire, but they offer in in P245/45ZR20 and P275/40ZR20.
$295 each...I'm thinking about getting these.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
CamaroUser

Drives: TrailBlazerSS
Tires

Quote:
The problem is that even the perilli all season tires are not the best in the winter. Plus if you look at the performance numbers for summer driving they are really sub-par. Check our this thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30194

Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroUser View Post
The problem is that even the perilli all season tires are not the best in the winter. Plus if you look at the performance numbers for summer driving they are really sub-par. Check our this thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30194

Yeah I decided against this and picked up a set of the LT 18" aluminum wheels on Ebay. I think that's my best bet and I got the set for under $1000 so that's pretty fair in my eyes.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote