Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #43
RAP2011RSRAGTOP

Drives: 2018 ZL1 CONV. & 2011 2LT RS CONV.
I HAVE THE SAME LARGE WRINKLES ON MY SAIL PANEL, I AM WORKING WITH GM TO GET TOP REPLACED. I HAVE HAD THE 5th BOW REPLACED, BUT NOW THE SAGS STARTED AND MY TOP IS SLAPPING THE BACK MOLDING WHEN IT IS DOWN.

IS IT STILL UNDER WARRANTY ?
YOU BETTER GET IT IN TO A CHEVY DEALER TO GET THE PAPERWORK STARTED.

GOOD LUCK !
RAP2011RSRAGTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #44
PDILLON

Drives: GMC Slycone - 2011 SS Camaro conv.
waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAP2011RSRAGTOP View Post
I HAVE THE SAME LARGE WRINKLES ON MY SAIL PANEL, I AM WORKING WITH GM TO GET TOP REPLACED. I HAVE HAD THE 5th BOW REPLACED, BUT NOW THE SAGS STARTED AND MY TOP IS SLAPPING THE BACK MOLDING WHEN IT IS DOWN.

IS IT STILL UNDER WARRANTY ?
YOU BETTER GET IT IN TO A CHEVY DEALER TO GET THE PAPERWORK STARTED.

GOOD LUCK !
THANKS lets us know what happens about replacement.
PDILLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #45
REValie

Drives: 2011Vert 2SS/RS RJT
Will do
REValie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #46
REValie

Going in next week to get replaced. Sure hope it turns out.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #47
PDILLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by REValie View Post
Going in next week to get replaced. Sure hope it turns out.

GOOD LUCK !
Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #48
Kreamsicle FreightTrain

Drives: 2012 2ss convt m6
I concur, good luck. My 12 was built 7/11. It too has rub marks and flaps around. Totally unacceptable. I really don't understand how this car was released with known top problems. How did the people driving the ctf cars not see these this? In light of the recall fiasco's going on right now...I understand.

Anyhow I took my car into two different dealers, one tech stated that concern was seen (flapping and rubbing) but no known fix. Both dealers suggestions were to use the factory cover. A major inconvenience but oh well. If that was a requirement, it should be stated in owners manual and or an automatic cover should have been engineered. But I digress. It has been documented and customer service knows.

Im going to enjoy my car, ignore the flapping (very hard to do and embarrassing), and if a hole develops, ill take it back in. Thats my only complaint with this car. Id take a coupe, but i'm a ragtop man. I'm an engineer so i'm going to examine this top closely to see what I can figure out to stop the rub marks. I had two mustang convertibles (00,01) and never had a top problem.

I looked on the NTHSA web site for camaro problems and found several top complaints for the 11 and 12 model years.

I love GM and they are by far my favorite car company (hell, I bought stock again though I lost it the first go round ....bk) and I really want to see them do well. I just want them to do their best....@ all times. This recall situation will no doubt make sure that all future GM cars and in particular, the 2016 Camaro will be top notch.

Now i'm going to drop the top here in Chicago as soon as the temp goes up from the current 42 degrees!
Kreamsicle FreightTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #49
REValie

New top install complete. All looks good!!! Noticed a difference walking up to the car. The old top use to brush up on the trim of the car. The new top there is about an inch of clearance between the top and the body/trim of the car. The top also seems to sit a bit lower. Have not driven it with the top down yet, but it seems that would reduce the flapping.

Kudu's to the dealership and the service department
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #50
gtoimpulse

Drives: 2012 SS 45th, 2020 ZL1 1LE
Sorry to revive an old thread. Took my car in for the rubbing on the trunk molding area on both sides. Dealer had a vert on showroom floor that the top was nice and tight and about 3 inches from the trunk molding area. Mine only has 10,000 miles warranty is up on February and I want to be done with this problem. Dealer is going to send mine to an upholstery shop for adjustments. Hopefully this will fix the flapping and prevent me from tucking the top in everytime I put it down.

Has anyone had success with adjusting the top fabric to prevent rubbing?
gtoimpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #51
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoimpulse View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread. Took my car in for the rubbing on the trunk molding area on both sides. Dealer had a vert on showroom floor that the top was nice and tight and about 3 inches from the trunk molding area. Mine only has 10,000 miles warranty is up on February and I want to be done with this problem. Dealer is going to send mine to an upholstery shop for adjustments. Hopefully this will fix the flapping and prevent me from tucking the top in everytime I put it down.

Has anyone had success with adjusting the top fabric to prevent rubbing?
gtoimpulse,

My apologies regarding your convertible top rubbing. Although I understand your displeasure, it's great that you've proactively reached out to your dealer for an official diagnosis. Keep us in the loop and updated on your service visit. If necessary, I can contact the dealer's Customer Experience Managers if you have additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #52
gtoimpulse

At the request of my dealer, I took my car to an upholstery shop to adjust the top. The upholstery guy was very knowledgable and had a plan to keep the top from rubbing. He said he fixed about 30 Camaro's tops which was encouraging. He adjusted some elastic pieces that pulled the fabric closer when going down.
His repair worked for a few cycles but now it is back to the same old situation. The top still rubs unless I get out of the car and tuck it in or put the tonneau on.

I am going to have to bring it back...again..... :(
Old 12-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #53
PDILLON

rubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoimpulse View Post
At the request of my dealer, I took my car to an upholstery shop to adjust the top. The upholstery guy was very knowledgable and had a plan to keep the top from rubbing. He said he fixed about 30 Camaro's tops which was encouraging. He adjusted some elastic pieces that pulled the fabric closer when going down.
His repair worked for a few cycles but now it is back to the same old situation. The top still rubs unless I get out of the car and tuck it in or put the tonneau on.

I am going to have to bring it back...again..... :(
I have same problem keep us posted
Old 12-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #54
phk36

Drives: 45 th 2ss convertible
I also have the same problem mine is on the drivers side I bet if we all post photos it looks the same way . I also push the part in that rubs but due to this I lower the top less because every time you lower the top you have to get out and tuck it in. All it takes is one time of forgetting and the bad white rub mark comes back I think Chevy should put 2013 tops and carriage on our cars. And done at a dealer. My car has never seen rain and has not a mark on it and after reading about all the problems of the incompetent people replacing tops you have to be afraid to have any work done. Chevy knows they have a problem thats why the changed the material and the carriage. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418227308.386676.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  290.5 KB
Old 12-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #55
gtoimpulse

We do have the same car phk36 and same exact problem. I was really hopeful after taking it to the upholstery guy. I will take a picture to show what he worked on.

At the very least GM should extend the warranty on the top for a few years. My car has 11,000 miles and the warranty is up in February.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #56
phk36

Drives: 45 th 2ss convertible
Send William R a pm and ask for it