Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS View Post
GD Fing rock.
Seriously!!!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
ChadG

Well I followed the expert advice I got here at the forum and took my car to one of the most reputable body shops near me, Wagonwork. Known for high quality work, nationwide lifetime warranty, etc.

http://www.wagonwork.com/index.html

Got my estimate this morning, $730.70, which seemed a little higher than I expected - especially because they're just going to remove the bumper > sand the damage area > paint and blend > re-clear the entire bumper.

My deductible was $200, so USAA is covering the rest no questions asked so I'm going completely off of the reputation of this shop (which is widely regarded as the best in the Northern Virginia/DC area).

They answered all of my anal retentive questions with ease (they're going to remove the bumper so I shouldn't have any issue with the rest of the car getting overspray).

I told them I was very particular about washing my vehicle and they reassured me they wouldn't touch the rest of the car unless I told them it was OK - including washing it before I pick it up.

I'm inclined to tell them not to wash it to minimize anyone but me touching my car (yes, I'm that anal ), any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
RAWarrior

Drives: '11 CGM/IOM 2SS 'vert '02 GMC Envoy
I think that because it is such a bad hit, just fixing the gashes would not look right. It definitely needs sanding before repair to get rid of the divots, so I think you are making the right decision for the repair. I would ask them if they normally have the car detailed before it is returned to the customer, that answer would give you your answer. They will probably also wash it before so they have a clean surface to blend color wise, so I would wash it before you take it in. Then they might not be as tempted to do anything when the repair is complete. Good Luck!!
12/15/2010 - (2500) Order Preferenced Order
12/15/2010 - (3000) Order accepted
01/29/2011 - (3100) Order available to sequence.
01/29/2011 - (3300) Order Scheduled for Production
01/29/2011 - (3400) Order Broadcast
02/07/2011 - (3800) Order produced,
02/07/2011 - (4000) Vehicle available to ship
02/07/2011 - (4104) Bailment Invoice Created
02/07/2011 - (4B00) Your car is bayed
03/12/2011 - She's finally Home!!!!
RAWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
...I'm inclined to tell them not to wash it to minimize anyone but me touching my car (yes, I'm that anal ), any thoughts?
And you didn't have them write that on the work order???

Not only do I tell them not to wash it, I have the shop manager write that on the work order because I inform them that I want to compensated if they do wash it and create work for me. You can bet I don't come cheap! You need to have the shop manager put that on the work order. I guarantee you that if they do wash it, they will use a long handled scrub brush, one dirty bucket and a dirty scrub mitt that was made in China.

Hell, you think you are being anal? Hell no, you are protecting your investment. I would dare a shop manager to look at me cross-eyed because of that request. They don't need to wash the car to match the color, all they nee to do is wipe a clean spot off the BUMPER and match that.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
ChadG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
And you didn't have them write that on the work order???

Not only do I tell them not to wash it, I have the shop manager write that on the work order because I inform them that I want to compensated if they do wash it and create work for me. You can bet I don't come cheap! You need to have the shop manager put that on the work order. I guarantee you that if they do wash it, they will use a long handled scrub brush, one dirty bucket and a dirty scrub mitt that was made in China.

Hell, you think you are being anal? Hell no, you are protecting your investment. I would dare a shop manager to look at me cross-eyed because of that request. They don't need to wash the car to match the color, all they nee to do is wipe a clean spot off the BUMPER and match that.
I drop it off in one week, and will certainly heed your advice by making them put it on the work order.

When I told them about not washing it they didn't seem surprised at all, as a matter of fact they said they had a customer today demand the same thing today and they understood perfectly so that made me feel pretty comfortable. They even seemed sensitive to the "my car is black and it swirls if you look at it cross-eyed" remark, although the appraiser did touch my paint (only on the damage) and I had to restrain myself!

I totally hear you Junkman, I've put countless hours into trying to get my finish as close to perfection as I can for it being a black daily driver.

Very good suggestion about making sure it's in the work order, though, I'll definitely do that. How about a big sign that I put in the windshield that reads "DO NOT WASH ME!!!!" is that too much?!?!?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by ChadG; 09-02-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #20
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
...How about a big sign that I put in the windshield that reads "DO NOT WASH ME!!!!" is that too much?!?!?

Thanks guys!
It's funny that you say that. When I had some work done on my car once, I expressed in explicit detail what I wanted to happen and had everything wrote on the work order. I dropped by the shop a few days later and there was a big sign on the driver's side window that said,

"If you are not working on this car, stay away from it. Customer is anal."

I cracked up. At least the shop manager took my concerns seriously!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #21
ChadG

So I was thinking of putting on another coat of Machine Super Wax before I take it in to the shop, any reason why I shouldn't do this?
Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
So I was thinking of putting on another coat of Machine Super Wax before I take it in to the shop, any reason why I shouldn't do this?
Does it need it? It won't hurt but no need to waste product if it isn't needed.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #23
ChadG

It's been about two months since I did a full coat on the car so it's due. I was just thinking getting that layer of protection on there can't be a bad thing before I hand it off - unless for some reason the sealant would interfere with the repair somehow?

I wanted to hand it to them as pristine as I can, so hopefully it will be easier for me to spot any defects when I pick it up. I'll make them do a complete walk around to note the lack of damage anywhere on the car before I hand them the keys.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #24
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #25
ChadG

So yeah we've had nothing but rain this week, flooding everywhere so it's going to be wet and dirty when I drop it off today.

Going to still make them do a walk-around the vehicle with me in the rain when I drop it off to make them verify I'm giving it to them without any dents/dings/scratches other than the one they are repairing.

Printed out a "DO NOT WASH" sign to put on the dash . . . and going to make sure they put it in the work order.

Am I missing anything? I should be getting it back in a week or so, hope to report back with good news.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #26
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

I think you got it covered. Look the shop manager in the eye when you talk to him so that he knows how serious you are.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #27
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
This thread is great, I just had service work done last week and had it put on the WO, I also made a dashboard sign that said "NO Wash or wipe, owner is sick".....

They even called me to tell me they moved the car outside each day....lol
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #28
ChadG

So I'm "that guy"!

I called WagonWork today to make sure they're ready for me when I drop off the vehicle and asked for someone to be available to do a walk through with me when I drop it off and the receptionist said "no problem, and we know you don't want it washed!"

I guess I made an impression!