Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Fire extinguisher mount?

So I tested a bunch of locations for an extinguisher when I have my race seats in, and found that it is really hard to reach anything when I am strapped in. This is the only place that worked really well (plus, passenger could reach it too if necessary). Whaddayathink?

Clamps holding it to the e-brake are recycled from when I removed the T-junction in the radiator hose I love recycling parts.
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Your not serious?
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
Your not serious?
Why not? I can grab the brake easily either way, with it on or off.

Got other suggestions for an accessible spot?

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
heres what i did for LS fest last year bubba. they wont let you run without one fixed mounted within reach of the driver with his belts on. i dont usually put it in for track days but i probably should. i went out there today and layed it in the floorboard so i could post you a few pics. i bolt it to the seat rails when im leaving it in.
i made this one out of flat bar i had laying around the shop. it lays flat to the floor and does not get in my way at all. it also hangs on one of my shelves very cool like i planned it that way.
Attached Images

JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Strap it to the front of the drivers seat.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
heres what i did for LS fest last year bubba. they wont let you run without one fixed mounted within reach of the driver with his belts on. i dont usually put it in for track days but i probably should. i went out there today and layed it in the floorboard so i could post you a few pics. i bolt it to the seat rails when im leaving it in.
i made this one out of flat bar i had laying around the shop. it lays flat to the floor and does not get in my way at all. it also hangs on one of my shelves very cool like i planned it that way.
Hey JR - thanks for the post. Yeah, that does look like a sweet solution. My problem is that when I am strapped in I can't actually reach the release post, if I mount the extinguisher in front of the seat. Remember I am running Kirkeys and a 6-point harness; if I leave my door open by mistake I have to unbuckle to get the handle. I guess the question is whether or not you need the extinguisher within reach if you are buckled, or within reach unbuckled. I am thinking that if there is a fire the first thing I want is the extinguisher. What do you think?

Old 09-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
"I am thinking that if there is a fire the first thing I want is the extinguisher. What do you think?"

First thing I would want to do is stop!
You have eliminated the usefulness of a key safety feature. The "Emergency" brake.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
First thing I would want to do is stop!
Wow Trackman, did you learn that in driving school? Would never have occurred to me. Hang on, going to write that one down.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
i found this on an scca forum.

In the case of fire-systems, the rule in section 17.22.1.B includes the
following "The release mechanism shall be within reach of the driver when
belted in the car."

they discuss the rule meaning as far as whether being able to barely reach the release latch is legal or not. most do agree that it should not too high for safety reasons. one guy told a story about one mounted to the b pillar hitting the driver in the face in a wreck.
im doing my seats and harness bar this winter so ill probably leave mine in at point.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote