Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 05-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
Synner

Drives: cars
Thats pad or fluid failure, not the lines. Lines would be a bit more travel to get the same degree of braking while feeling a tad soft.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
jamesc1123

Drives: CGM 2SS RS w/ white stripes
You are probably using a good enough fluid for now, but you should bleed it before every track day and flush it once a year. As for pads...I didn't have problems with HP+ As my first track pad, but that's for you to decide. I would definitely upgrade to stainless steel brake lines. It improves the feel, and when they really heat up, the rubber ones can really expand. Unless you are way way faster than me, I would say your brake issues were from not bleeding or flushing your old fluid. You can always step up to the old standard or castrol SRF at twice the price.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #17
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348705

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesc1123 View Post
You are probably using a good enough fluid for now, but you should bleed it before every track day and flush it once a year. As for pads...I didn't have problems with HP+ As my first track pad, but that's for you to decide. I would definitely upgrade to stainless steel brake lines. It improves the feel, and when they really heat up, the rubber ones can really expand. Unless you are way way faster than me, I would say your brake issues were from not bleeding or flushing your old fluid. You can always step up to the old standard or castrol SRF at twice the price.
Yea, next track day I'll have fresh DOT4 Motul fluid and I'll probably get titanium shims for the front pads for a little more heat shielding.

I didn't detect any brake fade in the HP+ pads at all. It just lost all pressure right there at the end. It was my first day on a dry track, so I don't think I was faster than anyone here I'm holding off on the steel lines for now. Well, I'm holding off on just about all upgrades for now, other than a Driver Skill Upgrade. Plus, maintenance alone is expensive enough.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post
The pedal went to the floor, with almost no pressure. I had plenty of bite on the turn less than 10 seconds before. I went through turn 10, brakes were fine then the checkered flag came out so I went to back off a bit for the cooldown lap and tapped the brakes. That's when I noticed that there was almost no pressure.

I'm very interested in the oil temp algorithm vs real temp. I read that in another thread as well. If that's the case I'll have to look into an aftermarket oil thermometer.
I would say pedal going to floor is fluid. Air in the lines if you already had DOT4. At the track my stock pads faded, so I had a sensation of not slowing down, but my pedal was still firm.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #20
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post
The pedal went to the floor, with almost no pressure. I had plenty of bite on the turn less than 10 seconds before. I went through turn 10, brakes were fine then the checkered flag came out so I went to back off a bit for the cooldown lap and tapped the brakes. That's when I noticed that there was almost no pressure.

I'm very interested in the oil temp algorithm vs real temp. I read that in another thread as well. If that's the case I'll have to look into an aftermarket oil thermometer.
Re: oil temp: I saw that thread and there was a factory electrical diagram posted that indicated there is a temp sensor in the oil level sensor, implying that the gauge reading is actual, not a derived value. Therefore reliable.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #21
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Something that helps with engine & oil temps is a lower thermostat & for the fans to kick on sooner. the fans can be adjusted to come on earlier by a tune. keep all temps as low as possible, longer engine life & more hp.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #22
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Re: oil temp: I saw that thread and there was a factory electrical diagram posted that indicated there is a temp sensor in the oil level sensor, implying that the gauge reading is actual, not a derived value. Therefore reliable.
I hope this is true. There's just too much speculation that I'm seeing and that's why I'm doing the test. I'm running an external oil cooler so I'm hoping to see lower temps on my gauge. And I hope the gauge corresponds with the physical temp.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #23
Synner

Drives: cars
I saw significantly lower temps after my external cooler so I don't think its derived but still have plans to put in my actual gauge with warning light since the stock location is useless when trying to check temps at 120+mph. I just don't have time to do the last of my mods.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, fatt, hpde, oil cooler