Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
1LE stock dampers or coilovers?

I have Pedders Xa coilovers and love them. I plan on ordering a 1LE as soon as I list my car for sale and sell it. But first I need to determine one important thing. Should replace the coilovers on my 2010 SS with stock damper/springs and install them on the 1LE or just leave everything as is? It is a lot of work and I suppoose I could ask a littler more for the 2010 SS with coilovers.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Personally, I would remove the Xa's from your 2010 and reinstall the OEM struts. It's not that difficult. And you will never get what they're worth by attempting to sell them on the car. Sell the Xa's separately, perhaps here on Camaro5 to get the most out of them. But I wouldn't install them on the 1LE (just my opinion).
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Take the XAs off and sell them separately. I would advise against modifying the 1LE suspension. I say this because if you have any issues with the car, such as blowing air bags because of hard cornering GM will not cover it. I can tell you first hand their out is the fact you modified the car. Your dealer can't help with that situation no matter how tight you think you are with them. And if you want to fight GM on it, be prepared to hire a lawyer.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
toehead93

All good advice, looks like I will be scouring over the classified threads for struts.

2010 2SS A6 - sold.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Personally, I would remove the Xa's from your 2010 and reinstall the OEM struts. It's not that difficult. And you will never get what they're worth by attempting to sell them on the car. Sell the Xa's separately, perhaps here on Camaro5 to get the most out of them. But I wouldn't install them on the 1LE (just my opinion).
I'd ask Pete.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
Depends what you do with the car. If you're actually going to use the track package on the track then get coilovers.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
snickerdoodle

Drives: 2013 1LE AGM 2SS RS M6
I would put the XA's on the 1LE. I spoke from Rob from Wretched Motorsports (he's on of Pedder's best installers) and he explained why it is a better shock. Don't forget you able to adjust them while with the stockers you cannot!
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
I would put the XA's on the 1LE. I spoke from Rob from Wretched Motorsports (he's on of Pedder's best installers) and he explained why it is a better shock. Don't forget you able to adjust them while with the stockers you cannot!
I absolutely agree you can make the 1LE even better than factory. In another thread comparing the 1LE to the Boss, the 1LE pulled a 1.27G on the skid pad.

I run XAs lowered, 20x10 wheels with 285/35-20s, solid subframe bushings, front and rear bushings, racing sways, and rear control arms. I recently blew my side air bags due to hard cornering. GM pulled the data from the computer and I peaked at 1.5 Gs while still maintaining control.

Unfortunately the computer thought I was rolling over. So what I'm saying about not modifying the 1LE yet is everyone who plans on really tracking this car better find out what GM's stance is on installing mods and having something like this happen. I can tell you GM turned my claim down because quote, " the car has been modified and a rollover was eminent." You guys can call this a defect and GM should pay, but I will tell you if they find you modded the car, you'll be eating the repair cost. You can fight them, but be prepared to lawyer up and spend more on that than the repair. Initially I asked for a copy of the computer report and was told it's GM proprietary and I would have to subpoena GM to get it. How's that for customer service.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
toehead93

I am down with installing the but now i am worried about being too low. I see and hear a lot of issues with blown axles on lowered cars. D you think the 1LE axles are up to the task?

2010 2SS A6 - sold.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
VR1LE
lighten up Francis

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I am in the same boat as I will be using the car for track days and more track days. I am sure that with the coilovers the car will perform better but the above post is scaring me about Chevy as they are saying this is a track car and then when something is their fault they calim we modified it.
VR1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1LE View Post
I am in the same boat as I will be using the car for track days and more track days. I am sure that with the coilovers the car will perform better but the above post is scaring me about Chevy as they are saying this is a track car and then when something is their fault they calim we modified it.
Yes...if you modified it then...you...modified it. Think about their liability if you did roll it and they didn't go off. Unfortunately it's a real touchy thing that happened to him.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I am down with installing the but now i am worried about being too low. I see and hear a lot of issues with blown axles on lowered cars. D you think the 1LE axles are up to the task?
I've never heard of this. From a design standpoint I don't see how the 2 relate?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
Synner

Uh they're height adjustable, so don't adjust it that low.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I've never heard of this. From a design standpoint I don't see how the 2 relate?
You're increasing the angle the joint on the axle sees, that means more heat and more risk of failure. If it were a solid axle you'd be correct.