Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Tuning custom turbo

I am looking at all the options for forced inductions for our LLTs, and I am thinking of going for a custom turbo or twin turbo for that low end torque compared to the IPF. But what are my tuning options for this?
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
I am looking at all the options for forced inductions for our LLTs, and I am thinking of going for a custom turbo or twin turbo for that low end torque compared to the IPF. But what are my tuning options for this?
You should read into DEI nitrous kit for our cars, a simple plug in kit with some extra safety features you can run very respectable numbers at the track, great HP and TQ numbers.
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
djrasras

thanks, but my car is going to stay a daily driver for a while
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Quote:
thanks, but my car is going to stay a daily driver for a while
our internals aren't forged like in the V-8s.. nitrous just gets a bad rep due to "fast and furious" where kids would put huge shots with no research... with safety and proper tune you don't expose the engine to daily beatings from constant boost. guys have ran 12 seconds on nitrous alone.. but thats just my 2 cents,good luck on the turbo
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
We are all waiting for the final release of HPTuners for this platform. There are a few shops that seem to have cracked the ECU enough to do what you want, but I have seen them offering remote tunes. Hang in there, I think a tuning solution will be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
our internals aren't forged like in the V-8s.. nitrous just gets a bad rep due to "fast and furious" where kids would put huge shots with no research... with safety and proper tune you don't expose the engine to daily beatings from constant boost. guys have ran 12 seconds on nitrous alone.. but thats just my 2 cents,good luck on the turbo
Actually we have forged crank and rods. Out engines are surprisingly tough. The crank is massive and only have one rod per journal (V8s share a journal for two rods). I think I'm the only person to break a rod and that was at about 726 HP at the crank. On a per-cylinder basis, that would be the equivalent of almost 1000 HP in a V8. Most of the guys at that level are forging their internal parts as well...especially if they beat on it at the track/strip.

However, I agree that a good nitrous kit with all the safety features is a great setup for our cars. You will have to swap tunes or run at reduced power on the streets, but at the track nitrous V6s occupy most of the top spots on the fast list.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
LLT engine is pretty solid for what it is. We have forged Rods but not Pistons. Myself and Gretchen have taken the LLT engine to 500rwhp + before, Hunter is up there also. With a good tune a reliable FI kit the engine can last. Also no FI kit keeps the engine in constant boost. I've driven many days without entering boost, it's all about how you drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
LLT engine is pretty solid for what it is. We have forged Rods but not Pistons. Myself and Gretchen have taken the LLT engine to 500rwhp + before, Hunter is up there also. With a good tune a reliable FI kit the engine can last. Also no FI kit keeps the engine in constant boost. I've driven many days without entering boost, it's all about how you drive.

Try that with a 4000 stall LOL. The only day mine doesn't see boost is when I don't drive it.

Seriously, the LLT and LFX engines are tougher than most people imagine. The block and crank are unbelievable. The pistons are like most pistons today--thin ring lands and brittle material. Combine an 11.x:1 CR ratio with a lot of extra air and you will break them with the slightest knock. However, we are talking 500+RWHP levels for that to happen unless the tune is crap or you have bad gas. The 6L50e transmission can take a heck of a beating. The heads haven't lifted on 23 psi with stock bolts and my TINY valve springs look fine despite the beating my car has taken at the track revving up to 7200 RPMs. GM put a lot of time and money into designing their global V6s, that's for sure.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Try that with a 4000 stall LOL. The only day mine doesn't see boost is when I don't drive it.
Lmao yeah good point or if running gears also.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
djrasras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post

Exactly, I am just wondering where I gotta look for these "good tunes" cause it seems the ones out there now aren't that great and I gotta wait for HP's tune. I heard the IPF tune is good but is that only for their supercharger?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #10
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
IPF also has tunes for your N/A setup also. I have already seen two N/A LLTs tuned with the beta HPT suite. They have said there were gains and the old butt dyno felt the gains.
IPF is really the only proven one out there with real numbers.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
djrasras

So nothing out their for a custom FI setup? What do people who go this route do?
Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #12
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Quote:
So nothing out their for a custom FI setup? What do people who go this route do?
I would say wait for hp. Trifecta has tune most llt turbos the only problem is customers service or the lack there of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #13
djrasras

So how are there people who are already running something from HPT. Is it all just betas?
Old 07-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #14
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
So how are there people who are already running something from HPT. Is it all just betas?
If you find a shop that is skilled enough to tune the LLT with the beta your golden. That's what has been happening. The beta is still missing some tables last reported, but a good tuner can work around it. My local tuner has tuned a LLT already on NOS and is charging a little extra since it was a pain to do. I also set up a locally SC CTS LLT for tuning with the beta and will report how it goes.