Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #29
mainecobra

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS 6 speed
Has anyone tried a srt8 challenger compared to the ss?
mainecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #30
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecobra View Post
Has anyone tried a srt8 challenger compared to the ss?
Test drove the Hellcat before buying my '13 Camaro; IMO it's a great 'straight line' car, but, as you can see, for overall performance, handling & comfort, I preferred the SS. Test drive one & choose the one you like best
Old 09-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #31
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Actually after the first year of the 7.0 they were supposed to have fixed the heads. And engines have progressed so much over time That making the decision for the quality of the ls3 engine is a no brainer if you want to make power and have room. The c-5 vettes and those from later 70s on can be had for cheap and are after pouring over them just not the fit and finish of the 6th gen and the early cars, and at one time I was a auto upholsterer way back in the 80's. And was always kind of disappointed by the Plastic and cardboard the way things went. I like many owners wanted a classy looking cruiser from my Camaro and that's what it is.

I had a 2011 2ss/rs l99 vert first then traded for what I wanted in color and a manual and enjoy having the better suspension, the nicer rear view, the dual power seats, the my link, the back up camera, and leather on the dash along with the other tweaks they came up with. I am not the only one on here who has upgraded, and I won't be the last as the looks are a modern classic. Since buying my car where I work many others have bought Camaros.
And we have vette owners too, 3 c-6 owners, I would say there are probably just less than ten Camaros I have seen over time where I work from co -workers , and about half are v-6. And less than half daily driven. I feel maybe I helped inspire them along with my fellow Camaro owners and the deal to drive modern muscle. Have fun and enjoy the drive, I also enjoy the electric power steering and my NPP exhaust, and with headers it can sound awesome with a good cams lope.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #32
memphisrider

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS/1LE
Thats a tough decision for sure, the z06 would be better i believe if you are looking for a pure toy. If you are wanting just a fun commuter car I would go with the Camaro!!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #33
SacraMaro

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, M6, NPP
...if you NEED space then get the Camaro.
However if you just WANT space, and do not need it, I would get the Corvette and worry about the rest later.

2002 Black on Black Convertible Z/28, M6 History
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic Z/28, M6 History
1981 Gold Berlinetta, Auto History
1976 C10 Stepside, History
SacraMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #34
Z06Vette

Drives: 2009 Z06 ..sold
I've had a couple Z06's, the last being a 2009 3lz Z06...All bought new & babied by me. I sold the '09 after 4 summers of driving it with 2800 miles on it. I truly miss the C5 the most. LOVED that car & really would like another one. I've found several low mile examples but all seemed pricey based on the age of the car for one thing..I will pay for a nice car but wow!

I've since been looking at Challengers and SS Camaros, I prefer the bowtie over the Challenger although it is a very nice car. I have found some really nice Gen 5 SS cars & I'm currently in a holding pattern until I see/drive the new car. In your situation, I would go with the SS.

Best of luck to you in your search!
Z06Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #35
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I would only pick the Camaro if it was a 1LE. If not, I imagine the handling of the older Vett would still trump a regular SS. Its with you, and congrats on the future child!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #36
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Kids here and throughout their lives I've had 3d, 4th, and a 5th gen cars. When they were small climbing in the backseat was never a big deal. Now that they have become teens they hate being stuck in the back. I end up using the truck to cart them around. I guess my point being, if you are buying the camaro strictly for a back seat keep in mind that eventually your kids may revolt
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #37
mainecobra

So I was all set to take new ownership of the 13' SS then I get a text message today stating I got offered $1500 more for the car so I sold it today. Wow to say the least I was pissed. What a jerk. So the z06 that I was torn on getting or not I've decided today to buy it. I have such a bad taste in my mouth for the Camaro after this deal that I'm thinking I'm really supposed to get the z06. So I'm set to drive down Friday and if the car is what it should be I'm taking it. Hey I'll be saving some money the z06 has lower miles, it's faster and will probably hold its value better. I can use my daily driver or our Yukon to haul the kids around. The vette is for pure driving pleasure no for kiddos in the back lol.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #38
mainecobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
Kids here and throughout their lives I've had 3d, 4th, and a 5th gen cars. When they were small climbing in the backseat was never a big deal. Now that they have become teens they hate being stuck in the back. I end up using the truck to cart them around. I guess my point being, if you are buying the camaro strictly for a back seat keep in mind that eventually your kids may revolt
So yes I agree when I had my 10" Ss my daughter never wanted to ride in the back. And yes that was the main reason to get the 13" Camaro and it was a great deal. But that fell through and the more I think about it the c5z I'm getting is more of a value and probably a better car to fit my needs in a sports car.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #39
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Hey shop around a little more look at autotrader.com
Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #40
mainecobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
I'd go C5, but I wont have a kid for another 10 years lol. Make sure you drive the 5.0 and the Challenger, too. All are fun cars
5.0 motor is full of problems , cam tensioners failing, ect. Its a shit motor compared to the ls3. Also the tranny is weak in the 5.0 and the motor is near maxed out from the factory. No thanks. Im a chevy guy for a reason. And the challenger is a huge whale of a car. Awful on gas and the hp just isnt enough for the weight. Looks great, mechanically great, but at the end of the day it doesnt fill my hp void. Im picking up a mint low mile c5z end of the week. Im do a few mods be in it alot cheaper than a stock ss and smoke most cars on the road. 👍🏿
Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #41
mainecobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Hey shop around a little more look at autotrader.com
Where i live bud there are not alot of clean good condition cars. Im getting a great deal on the c5z. I had a 10' camaro ss and its just wasnt fast enough or handled well enough great car just not enough. I would need a 1le and dont want to drop that much on a car i dont drive much. The c5z makes more sense and actually doesnt drop in value as much as the one im getting has such low miles and is a 50th anniversary edition.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #42
mainecobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecobra View Post
Where i live bud there are not alot of clean good condition cars. Im getting a great deal on the c5z. I had a 10' camaro ss and its just wasnt fast enough or handled well enough great car just not enough. I would need a 1le and dont want to drop that much on a car i dont drive much. The c5z makes more sense and actually doesnt drop in value as much as the one im getting has such low miles and is a 50th anniversary edition.

I was really set on the 13' ss but that didnt work out and i wont find ine for the price i was going to get it for.