Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #43
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Viper is great no doubt, but?

I am really answering an honest question here. The ACR is great no doubt.

But why does the Corvette win all the big races, Lemans, 24 hour Daytona and many of the smaller races and petit lemans

Am I missing something.

Jim
Old 07-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #44
762CAT

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post

But why does the Corvette win all the big races, Lemans, 24 hour Daytona and many of the smaller races and petit lemans

Am I missing something.

Jim
Outside my expertise a bit here but I believe mostly it has to do with factory backing of the race teams or in the Vipers case a nonexistent one. Uncle Google will tell about the Vipers not getting into Le Mans. Corvettes are monsters in that race and have to take performance penalties so the Fords can be competitive.

https://www.torquenews.com/106/chevr...ans-qualifying
762CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #45
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post

Am I missing something.

Jim
Jim

To be sure, track records are not winning races. It is about how fast are your pit times to win races. We are not talking about racing in races. It is the individual cars is the topic and track records.

Below is an excerpt.

"And sure enough, two of the Ford GTs did post faster lap times than the Corvette, as did one of the two new Porsche 911 RSRs. But races aren’t just won with speed on the track – sometimes speed in the pits can make up for a lot, and the Corvette’s last pit stop was exceptional, putting the car out in front of the rest of the field, and driver Antonio Garcia, who shared the car with regular driver Jan Magnussen and guest driver Mike Rockenfeller, drove a very fast final stint."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/imsa/cor...#ixzz4oFVMjCAD

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #46
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762CAT View Post
EDIT… I know the 918 is approaching that power level I just like the Lambo. My iconic childhood car was the Countach.
The Lamborghinis are definitely unique, I don't know anyone as a kid who didn't dream of owning one, including me. I'd be willing to bet that if we took a poll on this forum more than half had a Countach poster in their room as a kid.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:31 AM   #47
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
The Viper ACR Extreme is the fastest production car on the planet Period! It went to 13 tracks and set 13 records I would like to see any other production vehicle duplicate this, it will never happen. It currently holds the Laguna Seca record beating out the 918 spider. Not sure where it finishes at the Ring and I don't care.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:41 AM   #48
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
That driver was the sh**!! Despite that, he missed at least 2 shifts. Don't get me wrong, he has an amazing set. Make those shifts and maybe go sub 7.

RIP, Viper SRT ACR. World Class Supercar.
I've never been a Mopar guy, but what an amazing machine.
I've never driven one but have taken a spirited ride in the right seat.
I raced a built Suzuki 850 Water Buffalo in the late 70's, that's the only other time that I had to post ride/drive check my BVD's. Dad and Gramps have had some very special late 50's and 60's Vettes, Pop's still has a sweet C6 ZR1, they are nothing like that Viper.

Funny... For what it's worth (my $0.02) Still some Chevy guys whining about the ride in the ZL1 1LE and Z28 with DSSV.
Take a ride in that beast! (Viper ACR).

You wanna go fast?
It's going to rattle your bones and jumble your guts.

I'm a Chevy guy, still hoping to get me some of that DSSV.
waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #49
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Yes, but

[QUOTE=unavailablezl1;9841402]Jim

To be sure, track records are not winning races. It is about how fast are your pit times to win races. We are not talking about racing in races. It is the individual cars is the topic and track records.

Below is an excerpt.

"And sure enough, two of the Ford GTs did post faster lap times than the Corvette, as did one of the two new Porsche 911 RSRs. But races aren’t just won with speed on the track – sometimes speed in the pits can make up for a lot, and the Corvette’s last pit stop was exceptional, putting the car out in front of the rest of the field, and driver Antonio Garcia, who shared the car with regular driver Jan Magnussen and guest driver Mike Rockenfeller, drove a very fast final stint."

Surely some great points about factory backing and pit crews, but there is also the Corvette's getting performance cut backs from the sanctioning bodies just so other can be competitive. Also, it's been a lot of years that corvettes have been blistering the track.

You see my point is that Chevy doesn't build a car dedicated to just setting records. Even the Z06 is designed to be street daily driver with all the comforts that it brings with it. Maybe that's why Corvettes sell and Vipers don't.
You see what happens when chevy takes a step and puts out a less street tractable car in the ZL1 1LE and how the times dropped compared to the normal ZL1.

One clear point about the Vipers accomplishments though. Any time you can beat a four wheel drive partially electric Porsche 918 at anything you are certainly doing something very right.

It's absolutely incredible what these cars can do today.
Jim