Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Getting water out of removed stock exhaust

I just installed a Corsa exhaust and I plan to keep my stock system in storage. The problem is that each of the stock mufflers must have 1/2 gallon of water in them. I don't know why this water didn't drain from the weep holes when it was on the car, but now that it's off it's definately not going to drain.

Should I worry about trying to get the water out now that the exhaust is in storage or should I just let nature take its course? If I need to get it out, how? I tried tilting the exhaust to try to route the water to the drain but nothing comes out. Weird.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Hey congrats on the exhaust huh thats a bit odd. Id try and get it out depending on what you wanna do w your exhaust but that is weird good luck
Old 03-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
The baffles inside will block the water from coming out. See if the weep holes are plugged with rust/scale. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it and just leave it out in the sun and let it evaporate on its own.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
Mine had water in them also. I just left it in them
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
That's bugged me since I bought the car last June. Dealer says that there is nothing wrong and not to worry. I've run mine for hours and they should dry out, but they don't. I hate to replace them just because of the water. Any ideas??
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
3BVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyss View Post
That's bugged me since I bought the car last June. Dealer says that there is nothing wrong and not to worry. I've run mine for hours and they should dry out, but they don't. I hate to replace them just because of the water. Any ideas??
I've always wondered about it. At the MTI FunFest last year, I noticed ours dripping from the stock drains but no one else’s was. Is it something inherent to the design of the stock mufflers? Are L99s more susceptible to it? I'm sure there were more LS3s at the FunFest. The Corsas don't even have a drain. (Edit: Yes they do. Thanks v6sonoma) During the install today (very humid), there was a lot of condensation coming out of the tips both before and after. Are the Corsas going to retain water or will their design not have this problem? I'm sure if it was an issue, they would have included a drain too.

As I said before... weird!

Last edited by 3BVert; 03-14-2010 at 03:28 PM.
3BVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BVert View Post
I've always wondered about it. At the MTI FunFest last year, I noticed ours dripping from the stock drains but no one else’s was. Is it something inherent to the design of the stock mufflers? Are L99s more susceptible to it? I'm sure there were more LS3s at the FunFest. The Corsas don't even have a drain. During the install today (very humid), there was a lot of condensation coming out of the tips both before and after. Are the Corsas going to retain water or will their design not have this problem? I'm sure if it was an issue, they would have included a drain too.

As I said before... weird!
look closer at your Corsa mufflers they have tiny drain holes. At least mine do. I noticed while I was installing them that they had them also. Oh and how do you like the new exhaust? How did your install go?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
The baffles inside will block the water from coming out. See if the weep holes are plugged with rust/scale. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it and just leave it out in the sun and let it evaporate on its own.
That's what I did too, left in the sun for a few days. One had at least a half a gallon by the sloshing sound. Weird.

Don O

Don O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
3BVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
look closer at your Corsa mufflers they have tiny drain holes. At least mine do. I noticed while I was installing them that they had them also. Oh and how do you like the new exhaust? How did your install go?
Well, I'll be damned! You're right. They do. Let's hope they drain better. The install went fine. I love it. The wife thinks it's still too quiet while crusing (gotta love her!). It took me longer than most (~3 hours versus 1.5) but I was taking my time and photos along the way. I worried about getting the grommets off of the hangers but they came off with ease (thanks to tips from Camaro5).