Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
thompson2224

Drives: 2014 camaro 2LT RS
Clear coat problem

Hello,

My 2014 camaro 2LT has a spots all over that appear to be solvent popping. It has 13500 miles on it so pretty much just outside of the warranty for paint unless that is still covered by the bumper to bumper til 36000 miles. So first, do you think I could get GM to replace this or give me some money towards the repair? If so how do I get them to pay for it? How would you fix this? New clear coat on whole car?

Second,how much should I expect to pay to get the car repaired?

Third, at the same time when I have this done I figured it’d be a perfect time to get some racing stripes done and painted on, so how much would it be to do a design like this? http://uniqueautofilms.com/2013-chev...racing-stripes

How much would the racing stripes and full body clear coat run?

Attached are pictures that show what the problem looks like. Mines the black car. Look in the flashlight area. The teal I found online and that's what it looks like on my car
Attached Images

thompson2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6+17'Tesla Model S
From my understanding, you can't just 'clear coat' the vehicle. It needs to be sanded and prepped, then resprayed
Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
thompson2224

They can't just wet sand the whole clear coat off and respray clear coat?
Old 03-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
thompson2224

How can this be fixed? Does it need new full body clear coat? Whole new paint job? Or is there a simpler cheaper permanent fix that will make it look new? I'm freaking out about this
Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
The defect should be covered under the 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty. See your dealer and you may even need to open a case with Chevy CS.

That looks like random marr marks that could be taken out with polishing IMO. Take a small micro fibre and rub a small area with a swirl mark remover to see if it alleviates the spotting. If it does then I'd advise you to have the car detailed to see if it resolves the spotting. If not then take it to the dealer.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
^^^ I'd take this advice and see where it gets you. If having the car properly detailed doesn't remedy the issue then elevate it to a warranty issue, and lastly look into having the car repainted.

In terms of a respray Explit is correct - you can't just spray clear over clear. Not how it works. To do the job right it will need to be sanded and prepped properly and sprayed from the base up.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
thompson2224

When I first saw them I thought it was water spots so I took it to be detailed and 20 minutes after dropping it off they called and said they wouldnt be able to get the spots out because it was clear coat damage. As you can imagine I'm pissed. I bought it this weekend used at a chrsyler dealership so will the warranty still cover it? I know it transfers to the new owner if its still within the miles so I'm hoping Chevy will foot the bill on this

So what needs to be done to fix this? Its on the hood and trunk mostly
Old 03-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson2224 View Post
When I first saw them I thought it was water spots so I took it to be detailed and 20 minutes after dropping it off they called and said they wouldnt be able to get the spots out because it was clear coat damage. As you can imagine I'm pissed. I bought it this weekend used at a chrsyler dealership so will the warranty still cover it? I know it transfers to the new owner if its still within the miles so I'm hoping Chevy will foot the bill on this

So what needs to be done to fix this? Its on the hood and trunk mostly
Warranty does transfer.

People have already said above what needs to be done to fix this.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
thompson2224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
Warranty does transfer.

People have already said above what needs to be done to fix this.
People said that detailing would fix it and the detail shop told me they couldn't do anything about it.

Would I be dumb to have maaco do the clear coat and racing stripes?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
JTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
In terms of a respray Explit is correct - you can't just spray clear over clear. Not how it works. To do the job right it will need to be sanded and prepped properly and sprayed from the base up.
^ This is what I'm talking about.

A detailing shop typically has nothing to do with respray.

I have never used maaco, so I wouldn't know. Although if I recall they have poor customer ratings.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
thompson2224

Yeah, so about how much would it cost to have the clear coat sanded and redone? And then adding those racing stripes at the same time?

Yeah it looks like most of the complaints with maaco is from there super cheap paint package where they basically just spray over the existing clear coat with a color and then clear coat on top of that. It looks like there most expensive paint package ($2000) holds up pretty well but if anyone has experience I'd like to see how its doing or looked
Old 03-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #12
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Before you decide on Maaco, I would take the advice given to find out if you can get it done under warranty. Take it to your local Chevy dealer first, and see what they say.
If your not satisfied with what they offer, open a case with GM. If the clear coat is deemed to be defective and they cover it under warranty, you would be eligible to get a repaint that meets factory standards, you could get a much better job than you would at Maaco.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #13
thompson2224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Before you decide on Maaco, I would take the advice given to find out if you can get it done under warranty. Take it to your local Chevy dealer first, and see what they say.
If your not satisfied with what they offer, open a case with GM. If the clear coat is deemed to be defective and they cover it under warranty, you would be eligible to get a repaint that meets factory standards, you could get a much better job than you would at Maaco.

Oh right I'm going to try for the warranty first. Just trying to get a back up plan going in case

Realistically what's the chance that I Gm Wil pay for the repair or do anything?
Old 03-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
JTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson2224 View Post
Oh right I'm going to try for the warranty first. Just trying to get a back up plan going in case

Realistically what's the chance that I Gm Wil pay for the repair or do anything?
It's more about the dealership than GM. Some dealerships (most) will probably to push you off and just ignore you. See what response you get from your dealership first. If it is not satisfying, then get in contact with the Chevy CS guy (William) here on the C5 forum, he seems to get the ball moving pretty fast.