Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #127
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ditto, though I'll be 25 in fall of 2010 so I'd probably buy a Camaro in spring of 2011. Oh and I don't care about a dual clutch tranny. But gen V engine
I'll be 24 in 2010, but I'll have been saving up for a huge down payment. I could wait longer if I knew more about the next generation engine.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #128
neo2227

Drives: 2007 Chevy Tahoe sittin on 22'
I personally feel that a muscle car at hart is a V-8 with a manual transmission!!! If I wanted to get a V-6 then I would get a 350z or a Q35 coupe which A. Weight less and B. are proven performance cars! Now if some one out there can tell me how to make the Maro weight as mush as a 350z with out compromising any safety issues then I am sold! That’s why the have an after market sales force out there. To help you get the performance you need and want out of your v-6 or 8!!!
neo2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #129
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejbyrd View Post
Aren't we a little negative about the V6 Camaro? I mean, it's still a Camaro. Give the little guy a break.
I like the V6 Camaro. I think it'll kick ass for what it is. I just get carried away when I see people assuming it'll kick the ass of proven performance cars like the 350Z. Perhaps the Z isn't the best car out there but we know that car can do low 13s stock and the Camaro V6 won't do that. I suppose I'm spoiled by V8 performance. So if I were to buy a Camaro it'll have to be a V8. But yeah, I did sound harsh. Sorry bout that.

I just think the Camaro will have a hell of a time trying to keep up with a 350Z considering the performance numbers that I've seen.

Although the Z car starts at around 30k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Just need a box of tools and an engine hoist.

Pull out the V6 and sell it on ebay lol. Then Slap in a 383 stroker and some longpipes. Some custom wheels.

BTW Anyone know if this V6 is 2 or 4 bolt mains?
I'm going to guess it's 6-bolt mains. All the new LS motors are, and I'd assume a V6 putting out 300hp would be too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo2227 View Post
I personally feel that a muscle car at hart is a V-8 with a manual transmission!!! If I wanted to get a V-6 then I would get a 350z or a Q35 coupe which A. Weight less and B. are proven performance cars! Now if some one out there can tell me how to make the Maro weight as mush as a 350z with out compromising any safety issues then I am sold! That’s why the have an after market sales force out there. To help you get the performance you need and want out of your v-6 or 8!!!
I'm with you. I mean, I like manual transmissions but I know there are some guys out there who will want automatics because they want to be able to turn off the cool when they're in traffic. Expecting their paddle shifters to be like having their cake and eating it too. The manual will still have the control. Until they get a SMG trans it won't happen. But that's another story. And yeah, the V6 in the 350Z and G37 are both good engines and in those cars they'll get through the traps in low 13s or so. So yeah, if I were going to get a V6 car I'd get one of those too.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #130
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo2227 View Post
Well this isn't a muscle car. Its a pony car. The G8 is a muscle car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
I'm with you. I mean, I like manual transmissions but I know there are some guys out there who will want automatics because they want to be able to turn off the cool when they're in traffic. Expecting their paddle shifters to be like having their cake and eating it too. The manual will still have the control. Until they get a SMG trans it won't happen. But that's another story. And yeah, the V6 in the 350Z and G37 are both good engines and in those cars they'll get through the traps in low 13s or so. So yeah, if I were going to get a V6 car I'd get one of those too.
I want a manual, but sadly due to a recurring knee injury that doesn't seem to be as temporary as I thought it would be it looks like I'll have to go with the automatic. At least the paddle shifters partially make up for it. As it is even driving an automatic for a few hours will make my knee get pretty stiff and sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
You really think so? I am the same age as you and I would wait if I knew you could get a DCT in the Camaro. I just don't see it though since GM hasn't even rolled them out in Cadillac's yet.
Well it isn't anything near confirmed, but a number of sources have sustained rumors of a GM DCT in the near-ish future, and some leaked supplier documents seem to back that up. I would expect it to debut in a Cadillac and the Corvette, but I don't think the Camaro would be too far behind. As it is the Camaro is debuting with the most advanced powertrains GM currently offers to the public. They're not exactly skimping in that area.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #131
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Well it isn't anything near confirmed, but a number of sources have sustained rumors of a GM DCT in the near-ish future, and some leaked supplier documents seem to back that up. I would expect it to debut in a Cadillac and the Corvette, but I don't think the Camaro would be too far behind. As it is the Camaro is debuting with the most advanced powertrains GM currently offers to the public. They're not exactly skimping in that area.
I will have to keep an eye out for news, if this is confirmed I will wait for this new rumored powertrain. I just hope offering the DCT doesn't raise the price.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #132
neo2227

[QUOTE=stovt001;121019]Well this isn't a muscle car. Its a pony car. The G8 is a muscle car.

The Camaro name is known as what !?! A MUSCLE CAR!!!!! When I think of Mustang , Camaro , Firebird, GTO, Cutlass 442 these are Muscle cars I do not think of them as a 4 banger or a 6 banger. I would not buy a V6 for a Muscle car! If I wanted a High performance V6 that camaro or any current American made car is not my first choice!

FYI the term PONYCAR was a nick name for the Ford Mustang!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #133
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
The 6 cyl engines. Both straight and V6's have been part of the Fbody legacy.

I doubt this car would even go into production if it was not for the lower priced V6 base.

In addition if you really want a V8 they will make you one so it's not like when you go in the chevy salesman will hold you at gunpoint till you buy the V6.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #134
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
The whole reason I want a V8 is that burble and the low-end torque. Those things are what really excite me about a car. The 6cyl sounds like a great option, and yes my perception about it has changed since the numbers came out, but it still isn't what I want in MY Camaro.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:04 AM   #135
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
[QUOTE=neo2227;121629]
Quote:

The Camaro name is known as what !?! A MUSCLE CAR!!!!! When I think of Mustang , Camaro , Firebird, GTO, Cutlass 442 these are Muscle cars I do not think of them as a 4 banger or a 6 banger. I would not buy a V6 for a Muscle car! If I wanted a High performance V6 that camaro or any current American made car is not my first choice!

Sorry, actually pony car is the term for the sporty RWD compact coupes, including the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger, as well as the original Cougar, the Barracuda, and some other debatable ones. And they've always been primarily V6 powered, with V8 options legendary with the enthusiasts, but not the primary sales drivers.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:28 AM   #136
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
[quote=neo2227;121629]
Quote:

The term: Ponycar has been used for 40+ years to refer to Camaro, Cuda, Challenger, Cougar, Mustang, Firebird, AMX (Javelin), etc.... Musclecar has refered to Charger, Road Runner, Chevelle... etc
both pony and muscle cars have had SIX cylinder engines in the base cars... V6s came after the early horsepower wars of the 60s and early 70s.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #137
Vash

Aye even wikipedia has Fbodies listed as "Pony Cars". I know it does not make sense but it's more of an era. Back in the day they where everywhere and regular cars where just boxes.

Nowdays your typical box car is much more modernized and influenced from the sports car sector. Fbodies had features such as low drag bodies and modern interiors before more common cars got improvements.

There was a much more dramatic difference in vehicles in the late 70-s to the early 90's.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #138
neo2227

Ok well then maybe I stand corrected. But my view still stands. Mustangs , Camaro what ever f it's a 6 to me t's not worth it. To each his own right!?!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #139
Vash

You have to also consider they want to sell to Females as a daily driver. For work, school etc.

The V6 gives them the look and some of them will never even pop the hood for 5 years (outside of oil changes at lube shop).

Ladies, in general, have much better credit than men. As they tend to actually pay there bills (not always true). But the ones that did good in school normally will have a higher FICO score just from actually writing checks on time. Vs young men who want to party like it's 1999 and wait till the bill collector rings. I realize that's a rough generalization it's just my observation.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #140
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
If the Camaro only offered the DI 3.6 V6 I would still get one loaded and add 50hp somehow. BUT I HAVE TO HAVE THE LS3 manual.

The LT/RS V6 manual Camaro will kick A$$.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote