Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Review gripe prediction: light clutch

I was looking at a review from Edmunds of the G8 GXP and I noticed something that sounded familiar...

"We're not as convinced about the clutch, however. The engagement point is easy enough to detect, but the pedal effort is too light."

I remembered back to Jamey's thoughts from when he got to drive HeatherR's red 1SS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey View Post
The clutch is very easy. I got used to it immediately. I let the clutch out in Bryans gravel driveway almost at idle so I wouldn't throw any rocks, and the car didn't sputter or start to stall. Once you get a feel for where it starts to grab upon pedal release, you're golden. Very much like what my 2002 Z06 felt like. Just for reference purposes, my wife learned to drive the Z06 in about 10 minutes and then drove it all the time without any problems. Shifter throw is smooth and relatively short. The clutch pedal is very light, actually lighter than my preference. I'm more used to the one in my 71 Vette, which takes a lot more pedal effort. I like it a little heavier, but as long as it bites good, I can live with the lighter pedal.
Just a heads up on what we can expect. If that's all the gripes (they didn't have much more for the GXP and loved it overall) I think they're going to be madly in love with the Camaro SS.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I have to agree completely about the above points, at least to the V6 camaro I sat in, but I absolutely loved it about the car. It was very easy to tell when the clutch engaged, which is good, and yet light enough to where it wouldn't kill your leg in heavy traffic...

I saw it as a good thing.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yea, being that I've not driven a stick much (never owned one) this sounds like a good thing to me; at least as long as it's not super light. I guess the reviewers see it differently though.

Can someone enlighten me as to why this would be a bad thing?
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Too light of a clutch and it becomes difficult to judge when its engaged, and slipping the clutch becomes a bit trickier.

Not so good for a performance car.
- Xanthos

Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #5
TheCavalry
Here it comes

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS, '02 Lancer OZ
This may be a dumb question but i'm not the most car savvy guy around, anyways. Will the clutch feel hydraulic or more like a cable? The reason i ask is because on my lancer it feels more like it's pulling on a cable as opposed to my mom's S2000 which feels needs a little more force to push. it would be perfect if it feels in between. i realize i sound like a moron by the way lol

Ordered IBM 1SS 20" Polished Wheels

You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy? - Jason Kavanagh
TheCavalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Yea, being that I've not driven a stick much (never owned one) this sounds like a good thing to me; at least as long as it's not super light. I guess the reviewers see it differently though.

Can someone enlighten me as to why this would be a bad thing?
IMO light clutches are a lot harded to drive then medium feedback clutches. I'm sure it's more of an opinion than a fact, though.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCavalry View Post
This may be a dumb question but i'm not the most car savvy guy around, anyways. Will the clutch feel hydraulic or more like a cable? The reason i ask is because on my lancer it feels more like it's pulling on a cable as opposed to my mom's S2000 which feels needs a little more force to push. it would be perfect if it feels in between. i realize i sound like a moron by the way lol
I doubt that 90% of the forum has ever driven a cable clutch. It's a whole different animal. For one, it's harder than a hydraulic clutch. So I think you might be thinking of it backwards. Cable means you are personally doing the work to operate the clutch. Hydraulic means you are being assisted.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
TheCavalry
Here it comes

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS, '02 Lancer OZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I doubt that 90% of the forum has ever driven a cable clutch. It's a whole different animal. For one, it's harder than a hydraulic clutch. So I think you might be thinking of it backwards. Cable means you are personally doing the work to operate the clutch. Hydraulic means you are being assisted.
yea maybe i did have it backwards. thanks for the info though

Ordered IBM 1SS 20" Polished Wheels

You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy? - Jason Kavanagh
TheCavalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
All very subjective judgments and everyone might see it differently, but I'm encouraged by the reviews so far showing light effort but good feedback and feel.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
my Festiva had a cable clutch, if i remember right, & was a bit heavier than the one in the GMC. i never had a problem feeling either, but it's definitely easier on my left knee with the lighter pedal, especially in traffic.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Like I said, I liked it.

I don't think you'll have a problem with it.
- Xanthos

Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
As long as it give good feedback to the engage point I don't see any problem.

No two cars I have ever owned the Clutch felt was the same on, and even when I replaced them they felt different than what they did before.

Right now it's just based on someone elses perception. You need to wait and judge it to your own liking if you listen to others, Heck someone that that is used to a really light clutch may think the Camaro's is heavy yet someone that is used to a heavy clutch may think it is too light...
Old 01-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

True dat.

The first lesson my step-dad taught me when teaching me to drive stick is "clutches are like living things. No two are alike."
- Xanthos

Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I dont want it to be like trying to smash a brick and am glad thats how it will be. The clutch in my cav is perfect(for me) but as everyone else said it is still different after the clutch was changed. The one in my old porsche had an adjustible spring to assist you to make it like a feather all the way to heavy, I kept some weight to it.
I drove a friends WRX and that clutch was HEAVY. I got in my car a little while afterward and was slamming the clutch down accidentially because I still had the motion of driving the other car lol.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote