Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Line lock

Anyone on here running the Hust roll control line lock kit? Thinking about picking it up but wanted to hear what people thought of it. Seems easy enough to install and use.

More wondering about how useful it actually is. Is it worth doing it?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have no line loc and my car seems to burn out fine. Rear brakes are still ok as well.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Denis

Well I'm wondering when I add the drag radials if it'll still be okay. I mean I can breakstand the pZeros or Invo's without much of a problem. But sticky drag radials might be something different.

That and I was thinking about using it for launches as well. Seems like a pretty easy way to get consistent launches.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Well I'm wondering when I add the drag radials if it'll still be okay. I mean I can breakstand the pZeros or Invo's without much of a problem. But sticky drag radials might be something different.

That and I was thinking about using it for launches as well. Seems like a pretty easy way to get consistent launches.
I don't think you're supposed to use the line loc as a trans brake. I don't see it reacting fast enough.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Denis

Says it reacts in 1/100,000 of a second and the installation/operation instructions say how to use it to launch the car.

This is the main thing I'm curious about, if anyone is actually using it for that purpose.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
jbrown13

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
I have the Hurst "Roll Control" line lock on my 2011 SS L99. It works as advertised and I like it for burnouts on DRs. I'm a novice and I had issues with burnouts w/o the line lock, so it gives me a level of comfort I didn't have with brake stall burnout. I do not use it for launching and have never tried it.

Having said that I had a couple of issues with the kit during installation that you should be aware of. The kit came with the wrong size adapters, and it took a month or more to get the right ones from Hurst (they admitted a number of kits were shipped with the wrong adapters). The second issue was with grounding the arming switch. We tried what we thought were grounds inside the driver's compartment and everyone of them blew the 4 amp switch sent with the kit (apparently something attached to those grounds was drawing amps). We had to route the switch ground back into the engine compartment and ground it on an empty threaded post next to the positive battery post in the engine bay.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Says it reacts in 1/100,000 of a second and the installation/operation instructions say how to use it to launch the car.

This is the main thing I'm curious about, if anyone is actually using it for that purpose.
I've never heard of anyone using it like that. Just bring the rpms up with the foot brake. That should be all you need.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
I have the Hurst "Roll Control" line lock on my 2011 SS L99. It works as advertised and I like it for burnouts on DRs. I'm a novice and I had issues with burnouts w/o the line lock, so it gives me a level of comfort I didn't have with brake stall burnout. I do not use it for launching and have never tried it.

Having said that I had a couple of issues with the kit during installation that you should be aware of. The kit came with the wrong size adapters, and it took a month or more to get the right ones from Hurst (they admitted a number of kits were shipped with the wrong adapters). The second issue was with grounding the arming switch. We tried what we thought were grounds inside the driver's compartment and everyone of them blew the 4 amp switch sent with the kit (apparently something attached to those grounds was drawing amps). We had to route the switch ground back into the engine compartment and ground it on an empty threaded post next to the positive battery post in the engine bay.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I've never heard of anyone using it like that. Just bring the rpms up with the foot brake. That should be all you need.
Yea I get that. I just figure it was an idea. And wasn't sure if anyone was using it for that purpose.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I have the SJM line lock, and I think it's absolutely GREAT for burnouts (both on and off the track ). I have not ever used it off-the-line as you described, but I can sorta understand your theory behind using it that way. I had no issues at all with installation....but I will say that mine is not quite as "pretty" as the Hurst unit!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Denis

When you put the quotation marks around pretty it makes me worry about what the SJM unit looks like lol
Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
When you put the quotation marks around pretty it makes me worry about what the SJM unit looks like lol
Here's what mine looks like....it's installed in a totally different location than the Hurst Unit. I kind of like the fact that there is nothing really "displaying" what it is......kinda incognito!!
Attached Images

blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
Denis

I like it. Definitely looks a lot better than I was expecting lol
Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Line locks can be used to launch when tranny brakes aren't allowed, but you see them on stick cars more than anything, brake stands in manuals are a little tricky.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I have/ had the Hurst unit on mine (came with the wrong adapters as was mentioned above). I had an issue with the brakes not releasing immediately after releasing the switch, which is not what you want to have happen in the staging lane. It turned out that my solenoid malfunctioned and it had less than 8 passes on it at the track. When I contacted the vendor I was told that the warranty is only 90 days and that maybe Hurst could rebuild it for me at a cost. I purchased the unit last fall and was planning to use it at the last few track days of the season but after getting the wrong adapters that plan was shot. So I had to wait until this year and the solenoid goes bad, and I find out that it's out of warranty! A replacement solenoid is $150. I haven't decided what I want to do yet, but I am not really happy with this (it just happened last week). Debating on whether I want to try another brand or just forego the line lock since Hurst doesn't stand behind their products- at least this one. When it worked, I liked it, but I should not have to worry whether it's going to work or not.