Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

View Poll Results: Which is the your supercharger of choice as a bolt on for a 100% bone stock L99 A6 ?
Kenne Bell 52 16.30%
Magnuson TVS2300 129 40.44%
Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger Kit 28 8.78%
Magnacharger Intercooled Supercharger 19 5.96%
L99 ProCharger High Output Intercooled P1SC Kit 23 7.21%
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Street Legal Kit 45 14.11%
My choice is not listed. I will post my choice on the thread. 32 10.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #43
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer778 View Post
Wow I'd like to get mine dynoed and tuned for Free. my other dyno numbers are posted on the thread Maggie install (easy). Taking it to the track Saturday. Granatelli do you carry smaller pulleys as well? BB I will post my numbers from the track after this weekend for you. Any other questions let me know. I am not a professional tuner installer by any means. Air Force
Yes we can supply you with small blower pulleys
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #44
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Maggie install video

I wanted to to take the time to thank everyone who answer my questions.

Here is a video of a maggie install on horsepower tv for all those still learning like myself-

http://www.spike.com/full-episode/20...n-camaro/35955

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #45
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
I wanted to to take the time to thank everyone who answer my questions.

Here is a video of a maggie install on horsepower tv for all those still learning like myself-

http://www.spike.com/full-episode/20...n-camaro/35955

Under normal conditions at 80-85 mph I am getting 23 mpg on hwy. Driving through town I am at around 16 mpg. I am around 13 lbs of boost with a 2.75 pulley and I also have 3.70 rear gears. I truly believe that my mpg have improved with the maggie with normal driving habits. Of course when I am on the gas hard then there is nothing economical about it. You can't beat the looks of the maggie.
Attached Images

2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #46
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'm sorry but I have to chime in here. I don't think any supercharger is as quiet as my procharger. Maggies are quiet, but they don't suprise the techs who dyno them as they can hear the Maggie.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #47
2010 Bumblebee

I called a place that installs superchargers. They said they only put them on new cars and they would have to do a leak down test on a "used" car, my 2010 camaro.

So I'm wondering how long is it before a supercharged street engine starts to get blow by? 36,000 miles?

My 2010 Camaro Review

Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #48
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I hated the maggie on my corvette hated the procharger on my 2002 SS... LOVED the KB on my 03 cobra.. it was incredible..

KB FTW
Old 05-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #49
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you all again !! More questions of course.

It seems the Magnuson TVS2300 is the most popular and the Edelbrock E-Force is too new for popularity at this point. What are the major differences between the two?

They share the same Eaton rotors, but about everything else is different on the assembly. Edelbrock claims greater torque numbers, and from my recollection, it looks spot-on, but it's still a little early, IMO, to make definative judgments. Either one will do you good

I was reading in the forum that the Edelbrock E-Force starts to build back pressure in its self after 5000 RPMs which would lead me to believe there is no more potential than what it is. That being said, it seems the maggie has more boost potential into the motor, but would be irrelivant for my goals. However you know that people always wany more and more HP.

Well, if you're keeping the rest of the car stock, there's probably not too much to really worry about. I kinda' tend to think the straighter the path to the intake port, the better, for the most part. If the runners are tuned, though, there's potential for improvements, though, it would seem. The question I have for Edelbrock is if these runners are tuned for torque, is that only given a particular configuration (i.e. only at the boost level the kit comes with, or is it tuned from the stock psi through X psi)? Having headroom is great, IMVHO, and I think you have plenty with either of these (or any others mentioned in this thread for that matter).

The Maggie has a jack shaft, right? That is the side shaft the goes to the belt in the back, right?? The Edelbrock E-Force does not. Are there problems with jack shafts ?

I believe there could be harmonics that jackshafts could add, however, I remember reading Magnuson went to a carbon fiber shaft to prevent that from happening. Also, a jackshaft would enable a straight shot right into the mouth of the SC. I know that KB has been really focused on keeping intake restrictions down, and their Mammoth inlet flows like 1800 cfm, so my point about a straight shot is likely moot. I don't have a dyno or data to support any claims - just humble opinions from research.

Also I read the Edelbrock E-Force has a boost bypass valve to keep the pressure low during normal driving. I guess that would be like a kind of waste gate. They say it's better for fuel milage. Is it? And is it better for logevity?

I believe I read the Maggy has the same valve that KB uses, and has had them for a long time. I'm sure it's even the same as the Edelbrock unit. It will help mileage and longevity because it relieves boost when it isn't needed, and the SC doesn't end up fighting itself, for the most part.

Does the Maggie have a boost bypass ?? or is it pressure all the time ?

See above.

Whats the fuel milage on the maggie (6psi) and the Edelbrock E-Force (6psi)??

It would seem mileage wouldn't be adversely affected so long as you could keep your foot out of it. Actual owners are going to have to comment on this though.

What about the stock torque converter? Can it handle it ??

I'm sure it can. I'd be careful, though, as there are ways one could fry a stock converter if you really try, even without a power adder. A good tranny tune would help out here also. As long as you stay with the canned SC tunes, I'm sure it'd be fine.

Thank you.
My comments are purely based on opinion and data that I've found over the years. I'm not pretending, nor do I pretend to be an expert.

Also, I'd suggest you keep your eyes open in this thread. There are more products coming out too, which means there are going to be more opinions and experiences posted. I think those are going to be really valuable and I'm sure you (and me) will learn a lot from them.

JMVHO.
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #50
dracer98
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
I hated the maggie on my corvette hated the procharger on my 2002 SS... LOVED the KB on my 03 cobra.. it was incredible..

KB FTW
But the cobra has no bottom end as compared to the other 2 - the blowers should have made the Chevy’s feel great down low - even with a KB it is still lazy down low unless you pop the clutch - NO?
dracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #51
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2010 View Post
Under normal conditions at 80-85 mph I am getting 23 mpg on hwy. Driving through town I am at around 16 mpg. I am around 13 lbs of boost with a 2.75 pulley and I also have 3.70 rear gears. I truly believe that my mpg have improved with the maggie with normal driving habits. Of course when I am on the gas hard then there is nothing economical about it. You can't beat the looks of the maggie.
I'm jealous. I have the Kenne Bell on my L99 and try as I might, I cannot break 20.5 mpg on the fwy. Not even close. I'm usually at 18-19 mpg. And that's even going 70 mph with not allowing the tach to go beyond 2000 rpms. If I go 80 mph at like 2050 rpms, that drops to 17.5-18 mpg. City driving I'm the same as you.

What am I doing wrong?
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #52
2010 Bumblebee

Maggie, Edelbrock, or Kenny Bell that is the question!

Hi,

OK, I've been doing my reading about superchargers for my L99 camaro now for a while. I keep moving from the center the maggie to the left the edelbrock and to the right the Kenny Bell.

The maggie is the most popular and I hear nothing negative about the product. I like the look. The setup looks easy. The only thing is that shaft with the belt in the back are basically extra moving parts.

The Edelbrock is just starting out and I guess there were a few glitches along the way, but that's to be expected. The claim that the Edelbrock gets a little more low end power is interesting, but why is the internal psi climbing after 5000 RPMs like I saw on someone's dyno sheet? It seems like it's building pressure inside itself and not releasing it anywhere. At first I thought the thing was ugly but it grew on me and I changed my mind. It really looks like a well put together and complete kit. It also resembles the factory GM superchargers alot.

The Kenny Bell they say runs cooler. It makes sense to me if you use something that has a larger capacity it will work less at a lower capacity and make less heat. Less heat makes more power. Everyone say billet is stronger than cast so the KB has the advantage there, but remember even billet was cast into a block. This is all good, but the KB basically starts out at around 8PSI according to their web page. The problem with that is my research here on this thread tells me that 6PSI is the safe number for a stock L99 with no other mods. See the KB page for their specs;

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...aro/Camaro.htm

I suppose that if I add long tube headers & larger exhaust pipes the boost might drop down to 6-7PSI. Does anyone know how much the Kenny Bell drops from 8PSI with the starter set of pulleys and long tube headers? But this was not my orignal intention. Remember that I wanted to just put a supercharge on a 100% bone stock L99 and still do.

So I've gone left, right, and center. Each one of these superchargers has it's pros and cons, but it seems the maggie still is the one in my mind that will work the best. The Edelbrock may work just as good as they perfect their product. Either the Maggie or the Edelbock would be great on a stock L99. The KB seems to me to be better if you want more than 6PSI of boost, put it on a higher output modified engine or a larger displacement like a 416 stroker or a LS7 because of the higher CFMs.

My 2010 Camaro Review

Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #53
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Hi,

OK, I've been doing my reading about superchargers for my L99 camaro now for a while. I keep moving from the center the maggie to the left the edelbrock and to the right the Kenny Bell.

The maggie is the most popular and I hear nothing negative about the product. I like the look. The setup looks easy. The only thing is that shaft with the belt in the back are basically extra moving parts.

The Edelbrock is just starting out and I guess there were a few glitches along the way, but that's to be expected. The claim that the Edelbrock gets a little more low end power is interesting, but why is the internal psi climbing after 5000 RPMs like I saw on someone's dyno sheet? It seems like it's building pressure inside itself and not releasing it anywhere. At first I thought the thing was ugly but it grew on me and I changed my mind. It really looks like a well put together and complete kit. It also resembles the factory GM superchargers alot.

The Kenny Bell they say runs cooler. It makes sense to me if you use something that has a larger capacity it will work less at a lower capacity and make less heat. Less heat makes more power. Everyone say billet is stronger than cast so the KB has the advantage there, but remember even billet was cast into a block. This is all good, but the KB basically starts out at around 8PSI according to their web page. The problem with that is my research here on this thread tells me that 6PSI is the safe number for a stock L99 with no other mods. See the KB page for their specs;

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...aro/Camaro.htm

I suppose that if I add long tube headers & larger exhaust pipes the boost might drop down to 6-7PSI. Does anyone know how much the Kenny Bell drops from 8PSI with the starter set of pulleys and long tube headers? But this was not my orignal intention. Remember that I wanted to just put a supercharge on a 100% bone stock L99 and still do.

So I've gone left, right, and center. Each one of these superchargers has it's pros and cons, but it seems the maggie still is the one in my mind that will work the best. The Edelbrock may work just as good as they perfect their product. Either the Maggie or the Edelbock would be great on a stock L99. The KB seems to me to be better if you want more than 6PSI of boost, put it on a higher output modified engine or a larger displacement like a 416 stroker or a LS7 because of the higher CFMs.
To answer your question that I put in bold, boost increases with RPM. The higher the RPM, the more boost. That's why if you drive your supercharged car around and do not press too hard on the gas pedal, you will not use very much boost, and you will not force very much air into your engine (relative to what the supercharger's capabilities are) and you will not drop your MPG very much. Again, that's relative from car to car.

Centrifugal superchargers make more boost at higher RPMs. It's pretty normal for a Vortech supercharger to make around 2-3 psi of boost at 2500 RPMs and then make 7.5 psi at 6000 RPMs.

You asked where the E-Force's boost is going as the RPM's climb? Well, apparently, it's going right to the rear wheels, which is a good thing.

I looked at an E-Force dyno sheet and the rwhp increased by 75 hp from 5000 RPMs to redline. So, the E-Force is making really good linear power as well as gobs of low end torque. Sounds like a good thing to me. And it's doing this with 6-8+ psi. I've seen someone's E-Force thread state that his boost got up to 9 psi. That seems on the high side, so I'm not sure about those numbers.

Remember, your L99 will not make as much power as the LS3's.

The Kenne Bell on my L99 with just a Corsa exhaust makes 470 rwhp at just under 8psi of peak boost, but average boost is around 7psi. That's what I'm told by my tuner, as I still have not seen my dyno sheets. APF's Kenne Bell L99 made 10 more hp with less than 8psi. Of course, our tunes are different.

If you want 6 psi on your completely stock L99, then you need to ask for a very large pulley. And then you will probably have issues with it rubbing on your hood. Remember, if you want max 6 psi, then that will be peak psi. And your car will be averaging like 4-5 psi, which isn't much at all. It will be safe but not very powerful for the money.

Hope this helps a little bit.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #54
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
To answer your question that I put in bold, boost increases with RPM. The higher the RPM, the more boost. That's why if you drive your supercharged car around and do not press too hard on the gas pedal, you will not use very much boost, and you will not force very much air into your engine (relative to what the supercharger's capabilities are) and you will not drop your MPG very much. Again, that's relative from car to car.

Remember, your L99 will not make as much power as the LS3's.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Very well covered. One thing not mentioned is the fact that it all comes down to the "air pump"! How much air the engine in its configuration can physically pump through. It is the main restriction in the equation and determines final HP output. Exhaust done to an extreme will play its part (FULL 3 inch w/ longtubes) but again will be limited by the engine/internals.

That is whey they make "blower cams" and "heads". To enable the engine to "breathe" better....

The internal pressure of the E-Force is rising cuz it is hitting the restriction(s) in the system (engine, exhaust). It is still being spun hard and building pressure against that restriction...
Old 05-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #55
dracer98
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange
When you started this post there were no "real" turbo systems out there. Now there are a couple and perhaps should be considered. Granatelli being one and Hellion the other.
dracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #56
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracer98 View Post
When you started this post there were no "real" turbo systems out there. Now there are a couple and perhaps should be considered. Granatelli being one and Hellion the other.
What's your definition of a "real" turbo system? VRE put out their system back in Dec. and Fastlane has had one out for a while now too. Both put out similar numbers which were in the 600+whp range at just 7psi. Unless i'm mistaken, both were using a top mounted 67.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote