Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Mustang originally targeted woman

Interesting article. The ads back then were hilarious!

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-manly-...y-meant-women/

"The Mustang. Perhaps more than any other car, its name calls to mind things like power and motor oil and pure manliness. (Why is manliness always so dirty and gross?)

I'll pause while a certain segment of Cracked's readership rushes to the comments to argue the timeless "Ford vs. Chevy" debate while the rest of us wish you'd all take public transportation and just stop talking about everything.

Out of your system now? Great. Anyway, quality or style issues aside, you have to admit that the Mustang is a quintessential guy car. Even Top Gear, the most testosterone-driven show in the world, is desperate to love it. So, I'm sorry if this news shocks you, Mustang owners, but your $30,000 penis extension was originally intended to be a car for ladies.

Wait, What?

OK, obviously car companies would sell to every person on Earth if they could, regardless of sex or gender, so they could make all the money. But in 1964, when the first Mustang hit the sales floor, there was a concentrated effort to sell it to women specifically. As part of their initial campaign, Ford put Mustang ads in the "women's" section of 2,600 newspapers on a single day.

But the first Mustang had already been sold, two days before it was supposed to be available, to, no surprise, a lady. Gail Brown was a 22-year-old teacher and the car's first-ever buyer. As of 2013, she still owned it.

Even a few years after its debut, Ford was still telling women how a Mustang was perfect for their lifestyle. This hilariously dated commercial from 1966 promises "single girls" that the car is not only "all you could ask for on a secretary's salary" but at the end implies that owning one will help you do the only important thing in life -- find a husband.

Honestly, Google Image search is so full of these early women-oriented ads that I have had to be really selective about the ones I'm including. But I have to throw in this final one that seems to promise women with young children ("Life was just one diaper after another until Sarah got her new Mustang") that if they buy one, their husbands will be so turned on by it ("Suddenly there was a new gleam in her husband's eye") that they will want to have more sex with them ... or the car; it's not really clear.

Soon, though, the ad campaigns changed to the manlier fare we're used to, and the Mustang went on to be known as a guy's car, hitting the peak of cliche maleness in 2007 when it starred as an evil police cruiser in a Michael Bay explosion-fest about boys' childhood toys."
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Yeah, that's how the name Pony Car got it's thing.

Horses are for the men, Ponies are for the women.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
At one of those restaurant classic car gatherings, the guys there said the GTO was originally a girl's car. The GTO owner said it as well.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
lol knew there was a reason I didn't care for the aesthetics.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
My ****** hurts.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
My ****** hurts.
Hangs like sleeve of wizard.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
My brother Bilo, one day he break out of cage, and he get it!

It very funny, we all laugh.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #8
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Yeah, that's how the name Pony Car got it's thing.

Horses are for the men, Ponies are for the women.
Fail...Pony Car comes from the name of the Mustang which was tagged by a magazine writer in the 60's.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
Fail...Pony Car comes from the name of the Mustang which was tagged by a magazine writer in the 60's.
His explanation is better.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Maybe the Mustang was for girls until Carroll Shelby got hold of it.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #11
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Good looking girl with a Mustang, yeah I would do that. Good looking girl with a Pogo stick, I'd do that too. I really don't think the car is all that important when it comes to men and sex.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
They still look like more of a womans type car to me without even knowing the history behind it. Doesn't take away from it but the design overall reminds you of a girl.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
His explanation is better.
Mine was also satire, but it's hard to convey smartassititude on the intarwebz.

Quote:
Old 02-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
And the Camaro is also considered a pony car.

And since the Camaro was supposed to compete directly with the Mustang, does that mean it's also a lady's car? Or were we late enough to the party to only target men?
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote