Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 09-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #43
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
It's probably used for handing out tickets, rarely used for high-speed pursuit. Even the occasional street racer.

Last edited by Epitaph; 09-08-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #44
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
why what a waste of taxper money!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #45
ricku1967

Drives: sold it
i wonder if they are going to put "to punish and enslave" on it instead of "to serve and protect" oh wait, that was on the mustang......sorry

1100: 2/23/09
2000: 8/7/09 (finally)
3000: 8/11/09 (TPW 9/14)
3300: 9/14/09
3400: 9/14/09
3800: 9/22/09 car # 48156 has been born
ricku1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #46
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
And what about the fact that the tickets issued by this car will likely surpass the cost?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #47
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Now they'll need to raise the ticket quotas to pay for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
this is not a department issued camaro...this is a personal vehicle modified by a police officer and I am assuming their policy allows them to work off duty details in their personal vehicle with the proper emergency equipment. Many cities and counties ALLOW employees to use their government automotive service centers at a COST ..Personally I wouldn't touch my camaro with anything involving work. It's me time with the Camaro..

but don't worry, you get to keep your extra 3 cents in tax increase this year, or the ZERO increase you see with many drug trafficking forfeitures that result in "unusual" police vehicles
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #48
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
I can tell you that i would not pull over for this "unmarked police car". I would go to the nearest police station before I pull over, or at least where there are tons of people. In western PA we have had all kinds of crazies pretending to be in 'unmarked' police cars in the past few years. The local/state police tell us that if we are in doubt, don't stop until you are at a police station or a crowd of people. Thats what i'd surely do if i didn't know this car existed.
My opinion is that police shouldn't be allowed to use unmarked cars for pulling folks over for traffic violations on a regular basis. Use it to snare them, then let a marked car pull them over. Public Visibility(marked cars) is much more important for traffic duty in my opinion, at least that's what our local police tell me. There are plenty of other good uses this car could do being unmarked.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #49
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
The tint on it is ILLEGAL AS HECK.
Law Enforcement vehicles do not have restrictions on tint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
this is not a department issued camaro...this is a personal vehicle modified by a police officer and I am assuming their policy allows them to work off duty details in their personal vehicle with the proper emergency equipment. Many cities and counties ALLOW employees to use their government automotive service centers at a COST ..Personally I wouldn't touch my camaro with anything involving work. It's me time with the Camaro..

but don't worry, you get to keep your extra 3 cents in tax increase this year, or the ZERO increase you see with many drug trafficking forfeitures that result in "unusual" police vehicles
Actually, yes, this is a department issued Camaro. Outfitted by Southwest Public Safety (SWPS) for Zavala County, Texas.

Read the first post.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #50
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Actually, yes, this is a department issued Camaro. Outfitted by Southwest Public Safety (SWPS) for Zavala County, Texas.

Read the first post.
If this is not a seizure or donation from a local dealership then I completely agree this is a waste of tax payers money ...extremely disappointing....and this is from the mouth of a law enforcement officer.

The crown vic or impala supply us with plenty of the necessary requirements and equipment to "get the job done". I would love to see this car on the road for LEO, but NOT when it is in high demand in this economy. Maybe next year when the demand and supply shift, but right now the demand far out weighs supply of this vehicle regardless if it is V6 or V8.

The wrong message has been sent to the Texas tax payers.

The reason I said it was probably a personal vehicle is because a majority of my friendships from out of state LEO is through Texas and Florida troopers...both which were under the impression the vehicle hasn't been supplied. There is no police package for this vehicle ...yet....and the message this sends me is "the camaro is cool, lets get one regardless of price and budget". There are departments in TX who can barely afford to higher another officer or purchase a crown vic and this is being picked up?
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #51
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
Looks Great!

It's cool that they are using a V8/SS car but that seems a little wasteful!
An LS auto V6 would do just fine and look "nearly" the same and cost $1,000's less and GET BETTER MILEAGE and it's still got more power than the last generation V8 LT1's that the police used as interceptors! Just a thought...
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #52
m1tankr

Drives: '69 Camaro RS LM-1
Looks pretty nice. It'll be very effective. We have a blacked out Charger w/silver side stripes, hood stripes, & dark tinted windows dedicated to traffic enforcement/DWI. I'd probably prefer the Charger as I can transport my own prisoners. It was purchased w/grant money. Any cop that's used a car like this knows the value for traffic enforcement. You can sit in traffic & target drunks & aggressive drivers all night long without being spotted. Saying it's a waste of tax money is ignorant. It's like saying SWAT, drug task forces, boats, K-9's, 800 mhz radios, etc are a waste. They are specialized tools for specialized tasks, or improvements. The Camaro is more effective & can still respond to regular calls for service. In the long run, if the budget can afford a traffic car, it's a good $/performance deal. They aren't much more than Crown Vics. I'd guess about $5K difference between the 2. You aren't spending for a cage & both cars still use the same gear/set-up costs. Just the difference on wholesale cost between the vehs & I'd be surprised if they didn't get a deal/sponsorship from a local dealer. With budgets these days, no dept is throwing around money.

BTW Believe me, those strobes are plenty bright. For those that said they wouldn't pull over, yes you would. All you are gonna see at night is blinding strobes to the rear view. If you don't, enjoy your prison time. Most people I've pulled over when using the Charger, didn't know the difference, unless they blew right by me in traffic. Amusingly enough, most comments from my stops in it, have actually been neutral or positive. 1st time that's ever happened on stops. Car guys seem to think it's amusing that they didn't spot it. Although the best ones have been the ones that complain that they never would have been driving like an idiot thru traffic if they new I was a cop. I usually tell them, that's the point. To get those that drive like that normally.
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #53
sdsguy

Drives: 2001 Toyota Corolla S
i think undercover cars are a great idea to pull people over. in cali, crown vics are still used and i can spot one off in the distance easily, same with chargers. the more "regular" cars departments have in their arsenal, the more lives they can potentially save.

i've heard stories too of cops pulling up in mustangs outfitted similarly. they pull up to a light and rev it, when the guy next to him takes off racing, he gets pulled over. brilliant idea to rid ourselves of street racers.
sdsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #54
Memphis

Drives: Bucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
The tint on it is ILLEGAL AS HECK.
Of course, just like talking on a cell can get you a ticket but you see them on the phone all the time
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #55
F4st1DiO

Drives: Peugeot 208 e-HDI Allure
Send a message via MSN to F4st1DiO Send a message via Skype™ to F4st1DiO
Wow my post is on homepage! LOL
Here in Italy police cars are Alfa Romeo 156, FIAT Grande Punto, and FIAT Brava and some Subaru... the other cars are all old FIAT/Alfa Romeo equipment... All in White/Blue color.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #56
CamaroTransAmFAM
DIE HARD G.M.FAN 4 LIFE

Drives: 99 TransAm WS6,00 TransAm WS6,05GTP
thats the dumbest thing somebody could do 2 a beautiful car like the 2010 Camaro SS i hate this let a trash company like ford keep making police cars if u like this idea u stupid
#1 DIE HARD GM FAN SSuperior MotorSportz "the SSpirit of Championz,The Attitude of Winnerz,"TEAM FBODY WE LIVE AND BREATHE PERFORMANCE"General Motors 4 Life "CAMARO & TRANS AM RACING ORGANIZATION" THE STREETZ IS A JUNGLE,ONLY 2 BEAST REIGN AS KING:THE PONTIAC TRANS AM WS6/FIREHAWK & CAMARO SS/Z28
CamaroTransAmFAM is offline   Reply With Quote