Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #113
mondain

Drives: toyota
Not sure why people are comparing prices to aftermarket shops like Pedders, SLP, Bergers et al.

These shops hand-assemble the supercharges onto the engines. GM has robots doing it. GM has the economy of scale, paying for parts when they turn out 100,000+ Camaro's and potentially tens of thousands of Z28's. These shops produce, what, 200 units per year?

It's a much bigger stick wielded by GM to call up Procharger and say "hi, we need 20,000 superchargers" versus "hi, I'm from Bergers, we need 12." You don't think the price points shift?

We're using these shops as a basis because, well, it's all we have right now. But we also have other logic to apply
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #114
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
Not sure why people are comparing prices to aftermarket shops like Pedders, SLP, Bergers et al.

These shops hand-assemble the supercharges onto the engines. GM has robots doing it. GM has the economy of scale, paying for parts when they turn out 100,000+ Camaro's and potentially tens of thousands of Z28's. These shops produce, what, 200 units per year?

It's a much bigger stick wielded by GM to call up Procharger and say "hi, we need 20,000 superchargers" versus "hi, I'm from Bergers, we need 12." You don't think the price points shift?

We're using these shops as a basis because, well, it's all we have right now. But we also have other logic to apply
I think there is a good point in bringing those tuners into the topic. For sure, the likes of LPE, SLP, etc. can add SCs to their cars, with some suspension and body mods' and crank out what is going to be relatively close to what Z28 is likely to be. For people like me, it's still not Z28. Also, the engineering behind what GM's likely putting into Z28 is just going to be more than what a lot of the tuners are going to be putting into their similarly priced products.

We'll just have to wait and see

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #115
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
As I explained earlier I wouldnt be so sure that the ironclad 5/100,000 will be on this SC. As I said before I know when I had issues with my turbo on a Ford they started jumping around the warranty and they did with my buddy his Roushe. Im not saying it wont be, maybe people with the Z06 can chime in. But I do know when it comes to factory installed SC sometimes the "wording" can be a little different.

I dont know if GM will upgrade all that stuff, the current brembos are more than enough to handle the extra horsepower, maybe vented rotors even if you go with larger calipers that is not a huge expense. Chasis isn't going nowhere its going to be the same, as far as suspension I can see an upgraded one, but yet again not a huge expense.

IMVHO I think all your going to see is beefed up SS with SC slapped on with probably a different front fascia with new badging, and probably a more unique interior. Its not going to be a totally new car. I think you will see this thing price out at 45, GM cant afford to have it cost more than the GT500 and they arent going to want it to encroach on its vette sales.
I kinda agree with this guy, ive been off and on about the Z28, its amazing to finally have that badge back but so far all ive seen is a supercharged SS, havent heard anything about what they're doing beyond that, which im not saying they wont go beyond that im sure they will, but still i need more to sink my teeth into if we're looking at $50k+. I agree it will most likely be aimed at $45k to undercut Ford and to give more incentive to get the SS guys to upgrade for return business, plus if they aim to price between GT500 and GT then they can hit GT500 performance and not have to worry about releasing another model to compete with the new Boss 302. I would enjoy seeing a Boss 302 rival myself but this is just speculation on my part =P

Im not a fan of forced induction though, id rather see an LS7 Z28, orrr make the Z28 with the LS9 and blow the GT500 out of the water, then put the LS7 in a Boss 302 rival >=} that'd be wicked as hell. Im really REALLY hoping GM and everyone else will pay more attention to the LSX454 crate motor, if they released a factory version of that in a Camaro id have a heart attack xD
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #116
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

The one that we all hope GM is making and the one I will hopefully be buying when I get back from deployment!

Hey - -hope you're doing OK - take care of yourself over there........

Z28 or not, we want you back in one piece!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #117
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I think there is a good point in bringing those tuners into the topic. For sure, the likes of LPE, SLP, etc. can add SCs to their cars, with some suspension and body mods' and crank out what is going to be relatively close to what Z28 is likely to be. For people like me, it's still not Z28. Also, the engineering behind what GM's likely putting into Z28 is just going to be more than what a lot of the tuners are going to be putting into their similarly priced products.

We'll just have to wait and see
I would rather have my custom hand built LPE car then any mass produced GM Z28. To me thats like comparing gas station coffee to starbucks. J/k The Z28 will be nice but I think they are way too late into the market.
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #118
SSTAT

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 1997SS NASA Road Racer
There is a thread somewhere on this site listing dealerships that were pledging to sell SS's only at MSRP. I am going to be calling them soon, and the one in my hometown to see if any will be doing the same with the z28. If so I will post on that thread what I find. Everyone else should do the same in their home town and if they find one report it here - help each other out.
SSTAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #119
jayman

Drives: 09 dodge ram
Pat Clemons in Boone Iowa will not mark up cars...no matter what. But the question is if they will be able to get a z28 the first year it comes out.
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #120
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

you know. . .you never venture into these threads. . .and all of a sudden you start appearing more in the z28 threads. me thinks you're keeping an eye on what's going on. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #121
Masta T
coco puff power yo!

Drives: 2005 350z tt, 2010 bmw 328i
hey if were lucky it might be around the same price as the ss maybe low 40s high 40 wishful thinking

dub or scrub
Masta T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #122
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2010 View Post
I would rather have my custom hand built LPE car then any mass produced GM Z28. To me thats like comparing gas station coffee to starbucks. J/k The Z28 will be nice but I think they are way too late into the market.
Without a doubt, you have a totally bad@$$ car BUT... I just don't think that's a completely fair comparison. Your car is probably significantly (relatively) higher in price to duplicate. Though, there is the argument that many aspects and parts of your car are probably going to be stronger and put up with the power you're making better than Z28 will. It's my humble opinion the tuner you've used is probably at the top of the pile in my mind, and though, on the whole, you're likely going to have a car superior in performance to Z28, it's just still not the same. If a mod'd SS, at the same performance level (maybe even a little higher) is the same price as Z28 (the way I'm thinking we're going to get it), I'd still get Z28. Now, if performance wasn't at least close, and the price was a lot higher than I think (and HOPE) it will be, that might be a different story (let alone the fact I'd be priced out anyways, lol).

I still firmly believe Z28 is going to be at least as good a value as the rest of the established CAMARO like has been thus far. To think we're just getting started just makes me

JMVHO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #123
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
ALWAYS "Keep the Faith" --

If you don't - well - -

I have been "keeping the faith" since 2006...... Im not going to give up now

Quote:

I will take care..... and as for the Z28 or not, I hope there is not a not
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #124
BRKLYN
Account Suspended

Drives: 98 C-5, Chev/Venture, VTX1300
I personally think it's crazy for that price. Just for the Z badge.
BRKLYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #125
jayman

Drives: 09 dodge ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN View Post
I personally think it's crazy for that price. Just for the Z badge.
Same thing is being said by some v6 people about the ss. It is not just a badge.
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #126
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
Same thing is being said by some v6 people about the ss. It is not just a badge.
Big difference between spending 4-5k more for a SS and spending 15-20k more for a Z-28