Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
v6 CEL, shorties, IAT relocate, Flowmasters

I just recently stuck JBA shorties on my LLT, which when compared to the factory OEM manifolds, look like LTs. I have Flowmaster 44s as an axleback system and I stock my IAT sensor in the snorkel of the air box. Also of note is that the front o2 sensors are real close to where the factory ones would be, as that section of pipe had to be cut out. The rear sensors are exactly where they were before.

Here's the problem, I've got the CEL, and according to AutoZone its..
Post Catalyst
Bank 1
Rich mixture, or something along those lines.

I had AutoZone reset the code, didn't last a full day. It is cold here, right at 20*F, so I thought I'd mention that. The code originally appeared after a couple of 1/4 mile pulls in about 25*F weather, give or take 5*.

Anyone care to help me before the car goes to the dealer? Here is the actual code number, p2097, that the car is throwing.

I just attempted the fues pull, and now I have this code as well, p0603. The car runs fine though, so maybe this code will go away?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Josh @ Spartan LSX

Drives: A wrench
You're running rich (obviously). Try putting the IAT back in the stock location and see if it changes anything. That's really your only other option except a tune which can adjust your a/f mixtures, and delete your rear 02's so they don't throw check engine lights.
Josh @ Spartan LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Found this on a Saturn forum, although old, it may help.

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5...e-p2097-19660/
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
06MonteSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
your IAT sensor is separate from your whole MAF sensor???
06MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
I know you said this happened before the JBAs... did it also happen before you added the stand alone IAT? I would think if the IAT was the culprit both sides would be running rich and you would also get:

P2099 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich (Bank 2)

but you are only getting Bank 1... so i'm thinking O2 sensor or perhaps bad harness...

The other code is because you put the fuses back in in the wrong order....

P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

I believe it will clear after a few drive cycles... or if you pull the fuses and put them back in, in the correct order which escapes me for the moment...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
your IAT sensor is separate from your whole MAF sensor???
Yes, he added a stand alone IAT sensor... IMHO the stock IAT is very prone to heat soak... I've been running a stand alon IAT for quite some time now..
Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
mrray13

scrming, the first code ever thrown was due to engine temp sensor. First cold weather snap, I get a code that says the AC is off due to engine temp. Stays on for two days, goes away, no history of the code in the computer. This is after IAT relocation, which was done in warm weather.

Second code is after header install. Cold weather and a couple, total of 5, 1/4 mile passes. Two of those passes made in 20* weather.

I'm begining to wonder if maybe an o2 sensor wasn't plugged in right. Fuel mileage has gone down though, so it's definitely rich, or bad gas.

I did the fuse pull by pulling out 5, then 20 and putting them back in in the same order. Isn't that correct?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Ok.. you jinxed me!!!! My car threw a p2097 today!!!!

Here is the odd thing... it did NOT turn on the CEL! My Dashhawk monitors whether the car is in open loop, closed loop, modified loop, etc. Well after a couple of spirited take off I notice that the Dashhawk was indicating the car was operating in "Closed Loop with Problems"... What the... So any ways on a whim I decided to look for codes... sure enough it pulled up the p2097. I cleared the code and now I'm back to normal closed loop...

I did notice on a very hard accel and then if you left of the gas really fast the O2 will go to 0mv... wonder if that's what's tripping it... might want to ask your service guy?????
Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
mrray13

Maybe. I will ask them, as the the car as to go lean, and then it tries to correct it for more then 4 seconds before the code is thrown. Letting of the gas immediately might lean it out a bit and then the car tries to correct it?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Ok... more observations...

The LTSFT PID does in fact seem to be the rear O2 sensor. I noticed today that the rear o2 bank 1 sensor was reading quite a bit leaner at times than the rear bank 2 sensor. When this was happening the LTSFT was increasing. So that makes sense... computer thinks the rear O2 is lean and is calculating how much fuel needs to be added... HOWEVER this is simply monitoring, it does not actually add any fuel... it's just doing the calculation. Now when I seen this happening I flipped over to the front O2 sensors. They were in the expected range and bank 1 and bank 2 were the same readings.. Also the front sensors LT fuel trim were fine in the +/- 1.6% range...

Now I reset the LTSFT yesterday... now by this afternoon the LTSFT had climbed to 47%. I believe it triggers the P2097 at 54%. Then later today it warmed up and I noticed the LTSFT actually started going down! It's now at 43%. So when you hit 54% it give you a P2097 but not CEL. Drop below the 54% and then hit the 54% again the 2nd P2097 code causes the CEL to come on.

Now through all of this the front O2s were fine, values looked good and the fuel trims were acceptable... So at this point it appears the P2097 is a just really an annoyance... I'm thinking that with warmer temps this may go away... In the mean time I'll just reset my LTSFT when it gets close to 54%! LOL!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
mrray13

Awesome knowledge scrming!! I'll toss this post up the techs way and get their opinion. Also, since I jsut reset mine the oldfashioned way, the tempuratures here are climbing a bit, I'll post on when/if my CEL comes back on.

All this info from your DashHawk??
Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Awesome knowledge scrming!! I'll toss this post up the techs way and get their opinion. Also, since I jsut reset mine the oldfashioned way, the tempuratures here are climbing a bit, I'll post on when/if my CEL comes back on.

All this info from your DashHawk??
Yep, including fuel trim reset...
Old 01-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
mrray13

I gotta get one of those dang it, lol. Would go a long way in helping to get this car to 300^2, lol.