Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
REVERSE GRIND???

The last three days my car has all of a sudden developed a grinding sound when backing up in reverse. The first time I thought the car was not all the way in gear, after checking and double checking I found it was all the way in gear. The last two days it has done it again but not as bad a day one.

When backing up at a low rate of speed (3-5mph) and depressing the clutch to reduce speed I hear a grinding sound, like as if the gear shift has popped out of place, but it has not. I thought yesterday it was just a coincidence but after this morning it's three days in a row....can not be a coincidence.

Has anyone had a problem with reverse? Yes, it's an LS3 aka manual aka M6.

Last edited by CHMSC; 11-28-2012 at 10:40 AM.
CHMSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
The last three days my car has all of a sudden developed a grinding sound when backing up in reverse. The first time I thought the car was not all the way in gear, after checking and double checking I found it was all the way in gear. The last two days it has done it again but not as bad a day one.

When backing up at a low rate of speed (3-5mph) and depressing the clutch to reduce speed I hear a grinding sound, like as if the gear shift has popped out of place, but it has not. I thought yesterday it was just a coincidence but after this morning it's three days in a row....can not be a coincidence.

Has anyone had a problem with reverse? Yes, it's an LS3 aka manual aka M6.
If you feel like you may be experiencing an issue, you may want to get in touch with a dealership to set up an appointment for a proper diagnosis. Please let us know if this is what you decide to do.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

It seems to be intermittent so it would Be difficult for a dealership to service the problem. Hence the reason why I'm asking on the form if anybody else has had a problem like this.

Thank you for the response though.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Just a little advice, take it to your dealership and have them check it out, the y helped me in Jan when I had this noise issue when backing up slowly, and turning corners at slow speeds finding that me clutches in the rear were hanging up, 3rd time there, replaced the entire diff and all is good, was also just there for a auto trans issue, found it had to be rebuilt due to some bad parts in it, so don't wait until you can't drive it. Check it out and have a piece of mind.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Just a little advice, take it to your dealership and have them check it out, the y helped me in Jan when I had this noise issue when backing up slowly, and turning corners at slow speeds finding that me clutches in the rear were hanging up, 3rd time there, replaced the entire diff and all is good, was also just there for a auto trans issue, found it had to be rebuilt due to some bad parts in it, so don't wait until you can't drive it. Check it out and have a piece of mind.

Thanks for the reply but it only did it for three days in a row....now nothing and the dealerships near me are worthless. I would have to take it to one that is a few hours away. Right now I don't have the time between working full time and school....finals coming up in a few weeks.

Just trying to see if anyone has had any problems like this to get an idea of what it might be so when I do have time the dealership I trust can possibly check that area of concern out.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Camaro84

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I was having the same problem. There is a TSB out for that issue. Brought it to my dealer and they changed out all seals and gaskets per the TSB. Grinding is gone!!
Camaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote