Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
DRKnight1SS
The Dude

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Different options here.
I usually wash the car afterwards. Dry the proceed to waxin or applying a glaze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
Yes, I believe you should always wash after claying. Then apply glaze and then the wax. Best of luck! PM me for questions!
I've been looking into claying and waxing my car recently and have looked up a few videos and tutorials on the best way to go about it. However in the few that I have watched, neither of them mentioned the step of "glazing" that a few of you have mentioned in this thread. I'm just curious what this step entails and what products are used for it. Thanks guys in advance, I'm a noob :p
CAE intake, Borla Type S exhaust, TSP LT headers, stage 2 CMS cam tuned by Ryne, MGW short shifter, Carbon fiber Anvil trunk spoiler, Havoc rear diffuser with carbon fiber insert, GM GFX side skirts, ACS T4 front lip spoiler, 20" MRR 228 Gloss Black Wheels wrapped in Nitto INVO rubber, carbon fiber radio fin, Wilpak black rear window louvers.
DRKnight1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
If Using Adams Polishes, the process after polishing is Sealant, Glaze, and Wax. Most all others is Glaze, Seal and wax.

Glazing is using a product that will "fill in" some of the minor imperfections (small scratches and swirls) on your clear coat and "hides" them and the Sealant and Wax keeps them protected.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
If Using Adams Polishes, the process after polishing is Sealant, Glaze, and Wax. Most all others is Glaze, Seal and wax.

Glazing is using a product that will "fill in" some of the minor imperfections (small scratches and swirls) on your clear coat and "hides" them and the Sealant and Wax keeps them protected.

Hope that helps.
Still have yet to figure out how Adam's thinks their glaze is going to penetrate the sealant to fill anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Didn't say I knew that; only the recommended process. I think I'm going to try the Glaze, Seal, Wax next time I need wax to see if it makes a difference.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
Didn't say I knew that; only the recommended process. I think I'm going to try the Glaze, Seal, Wax next time I need wax to see if it makes a difference.
No I wasn't implying you did. I'm just commenting on their recommendation. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me, never has.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Why would one want to use a glaze after polishing?

I was under the impression that glaze was to be used to hide minor imperfections that only polishing could remove..?
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post

I was under the impression that glaze was to be used to hide minor imperfections that only polishing could remove..?
It's a preference. It does fill minor imperfections (which you ultimately would rather remove altogether) but if you didn't want to remove more clear coat, and add's more of a gloss to the paint. It's a technique though by all means not required.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #22
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
No I wasn't implying you did. I'm just commenting on their recommendation. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me, never has.

I agree with you. How can glaze impact/fill and adhear to a properly paint sealed car makes no sense to me.

I have never used a sealant on my paint nor do intend to until my paint is near perfect. Hence the glaze to fill in my minor imperfections prior to waxing my Z.

I will probably opticoat once I get this thing corrected but I am not ready to tackle that now....... I have been checking out the rupes polishers as of late however.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #23
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post

I look at it like this. Are you 100% sure you got every single bit of every swirl on your car? Glazing should help hide the bits you may have missed. I haven't personally used glaze on my car but I can certainly understand the theory behind it. As with many parts of detailing, it's preference. It certainly won't hurt anything besides your wallet and waste a little bit of time.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
I agree with you. How can glaze impact/fill and adhear to a properly paint sealed car makes no sense to me.

I have never used a sealant on my paint nor do intend to until my paint is near perfect. Hence the glaze to fill in my minor imperfections prior to waxing my Z.

I will probably opticoat once I get this thing corrected but I am not ready to tackle that now....... I have been checking out the rupes polishers as of late however.
You can still use sealants before your paint is perfect as not all sealants/waxes are as permanent as OptiCoat. Most are like waxes and you can expect 2-6 months of protection (based on what type of environment your car sees, daily driver, parked inside/outside, etc...)
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #25
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post

Do you have another polisher? If you don't, I wouldn't recommend the rupes as the only polisher to own. The reason is that the throw is huge! It's hard, but not impossible, to use in cramped areas where you need something with a small throw and small pad.

If you already own one of the basic trio: PC, GG, or Megs, then the rupes is a perfect upgrade

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #26
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Do you have another polisher? If you don't, I wouldn't recommend the rupes as the only polisher to own. The reason is that the throw is huge! It's hard, but not impossible, to use in cramped areas where you need something with a small throw and small pad.

If you already own one of the basic trio: PC, GG, or Megs, then the rupes is a perfect upgrade
I own no machine as of now hence the glaze to fill in my slight imperfections. I will buy the rupes I just don't know which model or when ill pull the trigger. I'll let you gentlemen know before I order one.