Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Name:  ronnie sox.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  7.0 KB If he was still around he could teach you. Just watch and listen to his videos of how to shift, RIP Mr. 4 Speed.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #16
HollyVenus
The girl with the 2 Danes

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post

Is your car a manual or automatic?
Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I know ill get flamed for this but I can't. resist, get an automatic. Lol

all is Good no hurt feelings... I don't tend to get offended easily
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #17
Rob3D

Drives: Car
I've watched video after video and there seems to be no way anyone has ever smoothed it out.... I guess that answers the question....
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
Rob3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVenus View Post
Manual

all is Good no hurt feelings... I don't tend to get offended easily
That's because you have rubber gears...
Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #19
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
I've watched video after video and there seems to be no way anyone has ever smoothed it out.... I guess that answers the question....
Thus the reason for my original comment. LOL

It's just the mechanics of a manual shifter/transmission. It has to be taken out of one gear to go into the next, I've never tried in a newer trans, but in the old days you could grab a handful of shifter and make the shift without using the clutch but it was only good for the 1st/second shift and 3rd/4th shift and miss-shifts could be catastrophic for the transmission.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #20
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Yours is automatic though huh?

Yup! Wanna race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
His is. That's why he has so many feminine features.

Always so mean...
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
No-Lift-Shifting!!! Gotta Love It. Failed my first and second attempts. Knew what to do in my mind, but as I punched it and hit the clutch I automatically lifted, twice. But like they say"third times a charm" and sure enough I hit the clutch and kept her Wide Open!!! After red lining fourth I just did a normal shift and a U Turn so I could try it again......and again...... I used like a quarter tank in fifteen minutes, probably was getting 3 or 4 miles to the gallon at Wide Open Throttle! Sure was fun!!!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #22
Rob3D

Seriously.... I wasnt talking about no lift shifting... Thats easy.... Just trying to see if theres anyway possible to make shifts any more seamless....
Old 01-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #23
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Seriously.... I wasnt talking about no lift shifting... Thats easy.... Just trying to see if theres anyway possible to make shifts any more seamless....

A fellow ZL1 driver I see. Since the ZL1 is the only Camaro with the No Lift Shift feature you gotta admit it sure is fun to do. Not good on the mpg's but definitely worth the excitement keeping it in Boost!!!...
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
He has a 9 second SS? I think he would annihilate you. Probably just like he annihilates probably most everyone else.

On topic. I have the V6 and the associated manual and I finally got it to shift smoothly after changing the transmission fluid twice. I used Lucas (75w90, not sure if the Tremec takes gear oil or what) and it cleaned it right up. And cleaned out the clutch / brake reservoir with clean fluid. That's my advice.
I would recommend draining that out and putting in proper transmission fluid. These new transmissions do not take gear oil. They use transmission fluid.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #25
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
A fellow ZL1 driver I see. Since the ZL1 is the only Camaro with the No Lift Shift feature you gotta admit it sure is fun to do. Not good on the mpg's but definitely worth the excitement keeping it in Boost!!!...
Any SS with a tune (2010+) can have no lift shifting exactly the same as it works in a ZL1...mine has for 2 years now.

I'm running the Redline fluid in my TR6060, it shifts very smooth...I haven't noticed a pause or anything when I yank it from 3 to 4 as hard as I can...(or 1 to 2 for that matter)...I feel the blocker rings engaging as I'm moving it, but I just keep moving it until it's all the way into whatever gear I'm going for...I dunno man.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #26
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Are you shifting very quickly (IE: pulling back on the stick with relative gusto at the same time you are pressing in the clutch), or are you being more slow and methodical about it (IE: press clutch entirely to the floor, then apply pressure to the lever)?
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #27
Rob3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Glint View Post
So just because I have an automatic you consider me a woman or gay? Sorry dude, but you aren't going to end up with any friends this way lol... tbh doesn't really hurt my feelings, just shows how big a tool you are.

Yeah...but I still drive a manual like a real man.. LMAO. And by the way, your post clearly shows hurt feelings. Have a tissue. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Are you shifting very quickly (IE: pulling back on the stick with relative gusto at the same time you are pressing in the clutch), or are you being more slow and methodical about it (IE: press clutch entirely to the floor, then apply pressure to the lever)?
I figured it out. The new shifter just needed to be broken in.. It now shifts as quickly as I possibly can...
Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #28
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I just shift as fast as I can. I don't really specifically think about each step of the process.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote