Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Yumacamaro

Drives: 2013 2ss
Splitter problem

I won't list the company name but I'm having a problem with keeping paint on my splitter.. It's flexible (rubber) I have had to have it reprinted 3 times now. They have done everything to stop bubbles from popping up. They have used adhesion promoter everything was done right but nothing stops the bubbles. I think that because it is rubber and living in the desert southwest that its too hot and the rubber has some type of oil in it and it comes to the surface causing the bubble? After the first install and following the instructions perfectly it came off. Double sided tape is not what you use to put a part on with that much pressure. A the body shop used screws.... Anyone experienced this bubble problem?
Yumacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Might be bubbling if you have waxed it 30-90 days prior to the new paint job. New paint gases off for 1-3 months after it has dried, and waxing a new paint finish will trap gases in the paint, causing it to bubble.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Yumacamaro

Problem

It was new with no paint.. So now I have no paint nothing I'm back to the original finish..
Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
What kind of splitter is it? Rubber doesn't typically accept paint that well, which is probably why you're having adhesion problems.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Yumacamaro

splitter

im leary to post the vendor. sometimes its good to ask about an item before i say bad things.. when i first installed it as per instructions and even added another screw or two it came off withinthe first mile and it went under my car. i was very pissed. the top is supposed to be put on with double sided tape. double sided tape is not good for automotive use especially in the desert... its a friends shop right now. we are going to try bondo infused with fiberglass. its a hobby! it sucks but im not going to take it off and toss it. im going to work with it till i get it the way i want it..
Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergunner View Post
im leary to post the vendor. sometimes its good to ask about an item before i say bad things.. when i first installed it as per instructions and even added another screw or two it came off withinthe first mile and it went under my car. i was very pissed. the top is supposed to be put on with double sided tape. double sided tape is not good for automotive use especially in the desert... its a friends shop right now. we are going to try bondo infused with fiberglass. its a hobby! it sucks but im not going to take it off and toss it. im going to work with it till i get it the way i want it..
That sucks, man. The only splitters I'm aware of that use double sided tape include the street scene splitter and the RKSport splitter, and sadly I always see the tape lifting on people who have them installed. Contrary to your post, however, I'm pretty sure they're made of urethane and not rubber. If your splitter is actual rubber, I can tell you now you'll never get paint to adhere to it so forget that. Too much flex. All the ACS splitters and the SLP splitter I think use just plain ole' hardware to install, so it can't be one of those. Not to mention they're very high quality and I haven't heard of any installation horror stories for either of them.

I feel ya' on getting a mod you always wanted and having a shitton of trouble with it. If it's that hard to install and if it's taking that much modifying your car to get it on there, I'd throw it in the trash it and try falling in love with a different splitter that installs with less invasive methods. Because if it messes up again after you do all that work at the body shop, you'll not only have to give up on the splitter, but you'll be out a bumper because it was molested to get the splitter to fit.

I hope it works out for you. Settling with something other than your vision on how you want your car to look because of a low quality aftermarket part is always a huge bummer. It's happened to me a couple times.

Keep us posted on your progress.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Yumacamaro

Splitter

@nuclear... I was trying not to say who it was who sold it to me! Lol it is urethane.. I can't give up on it! Lol it's a challenge now... Me vs splitter.. Lol at $400 I'm not throwing it out! Wait, after it came off originally I did walk out to the dumpster, but couldn't do it... I get it back tomorrow so we will see how it turned out..I believe that some items that are mass produced cannot be perfect every time...

Last edited by Yumacamaro; 09-04-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
For $400 it better be perfect... you can get splitters for way cheaper than that.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
AWSME SS

Drives: 2015 Cummins
SLP splitter FTW! (If you like to spend $$$)
AWSME SS is offline   Reply With Quote