Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Drove a Challenger. Quick Review

I decided to rent a Dodge Challenger V6 for a long trip.

I have a fully loaded 2LT/RS and this was a base model V6 but I will keep it apples to apples.

Interior:
When I got in, I immediately felt like I was getting in my car's cousin. The Challenger's interior is made out of soft elephant skin plastic instead of our hard elephant skin plastic. The seats are much softer and more supportive and had lumbar support. The engineering font gauges were actually pretty cool but the radio was something from the early 2000s. The radio controls on the steering wheel were in the back of the wheel but made sense once you got used to it.

It has more back seat room to where two adults were actually comfortable in the back. So much that this could be the "family sedan".

Visibility is slightly better except for the c-pillar which is a "forgedaboutit".

What's really nice is the door windows are not at shoulder height and are a bit bigger. Going to the ATM? Drive through? No problem.

Exterior:
It is a simplistic design and the straight lines make this look really, really wide! I love the back of it l and the trunk was very retro. When you open it, it felt like you were opening an early 70's big car. I got more looks only because there aren't many challengers around that city but the camaro population is higher than expected.

Drive and performance:
The suspension is much softer to where I felt like it was a driving a family sedan. Pretty smooth but not sporty. MPG was pretty much the same as the V6 camaro but better in the city, which matched EPA numbers of 18/27.

One thing is for sure, this V6 is not slow. Power is more than adequate. Very low end torque felt more than the camaro but on the mid/high end, my camaro can beat it.

Overall, it was like your girlfriend's cousin came over. She doesn't look better but has some of your gf's features like hair and cheek bones. You converse and enjoy her company. Makes you laugh. But she's more tame and not too deep of a person. After she leaves, you look at your gf and you start to appreciate how she looks and how wild she is.

It was fun but I'm happy with what I have.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
....Nice...thought about Challenger myself before getting Camaro....The Dodge I wanted was way pricier than the Camaro at the time...

...Glad I didn't try one out, though....May have spent more than I should have...lol...

Wasn't for the Camaro, I'd have a Challenger in a heart-beat....

....Good review...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
SeriouslySinning

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT 3.6 V6
SeriouslySinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
With the offers they have on the Challengers, it is really tempting to get one. If it wasn't for the Camaro I would definitely be saving some cash for the R/T. The torque on it is really although it is missing some HP compared to the SS.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
I decided to rent a Dodge Challenger V6 for a long trip.

I have a fully loaded 2LT/RS and this was a base model V6 but I will keep it apples to apples.

Interior:
When I got in, I immediately felt like I was getting in my car's cousin. The Challenger's interior is made out of soft elephant skin plastic instead of our hard elephant skin plastic. The seats are much softer and more supportive and had lumbar support. The engineering font gauges were actually pretty cool but the radio was something from the early 2000s. The radio controls on the steering wheel were in the back of the wheel but made sense once you got used to it.

It has more back seat room to where two adults were actually comfortable in the back. So much that this could be the "family sedan".

Visibility is slightly better except for the c-pillar which is a "forgedaboutit".

What's really nice is the door windows are not at shoulder height and are a bit bigger. Going to the ATM? Drive through? No problem.

Exterior:
It is a simplistic design and the straight lines make this look really, really wide! I love the back of it l and the trunk was very retro. When you open it, it felt like you were opening an early 70's big car. I got more looks only because there aren't many challengers around that city but the camaro population is higher than expected.

Drive and performance:
The suspension is much softer to where I felt like it was a driving a family sedan. Pretty smooth but not sporty. MPG was pretty much the same as the V6 camaro but better in the city, which matched EPA numbers of 18/27.

One thing is for sure, this V6 is not slow. Power is more than adequate. Very low end torque felt more than the camaro but on the mid/high end, my camaro can beat it.

Overall, it was like your girlfriend's cousin came over. She doesn't look better but has some of your gf's features like hair and cheek bones. You converse and enjoy her company. Makes you laugh. But she's more tame and not too deep of a person. After she leaves, you look at your gf and you start to appreciate how she looks and how wild she is.

It was fun but I'm happy with what I have.
Love the wording of your conclusion lol
Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
It's still a Dog, I mean Dodge!!!

J/K!!!

I love the Challenger, and would own one in a Heart Beat!!!!

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
IncrediblyX

Drives: Red
Good review. The Camaro is the biggest car I have ever owned, yet the trunk and interior space is severely lacking because of the way its designed. I would take beauty over function any day. With these two cars, its like comparing a perfect 10 chick with an 8, but the 8 knows how to cook.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
IncrediblyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
ryanyoung1768

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Excellent review. My sister has the '11 Challenger 6 cyl and I've driven it as much as she's driven mine. We each like what we have, but can appreciate the attraction to the other's car. It's a matter of what caught your eye and stole your heart first.

The trunk is amazing. We packed a scary amount of stuff back there, and 2 adults and two teens were comfortable on a 5 hour drive last Christmas.

No one calls it "The Batmobile" however.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
I test drove the Challey back when I was looking at the different cars, I didnt even drive the Mustang because even if I liked it better than the other two brands, it still is a Ford and it STILL will break down on me, no matter how nice a Ford is, it WILL always let me down.
I liked the Challey, at least until I test drove a Camaro, then I was like "What Challenger?" I completely forgot about it. At the time I was test driving I was having a little sticker shock, for the same price on a Challey RT V6, I could have gotten a 1SS Camaro, so ultimately I went with a V6 Camaro and saved a bundle of cash over the Challey.
I like the Challey for a few things however, the trunk was huge, the back seat was huge, but those were reasons that caused the disadvantages- the think felt like a barge compared to the Camaro, and it just had no sporty feel to the suspension, the Camaro feel very responsive and feels more sporty than the Challey, I really like looking to the side and seeing the small door window outline thus giving me the feeling that the car is a chopped hot rod, I get the same feeling peering out the front windshield and gazing over the large hood of the Camaro, and best of all I really like looking out the side mirror and peering over the rear hips of this car, it is so reminiscent of my old 68 Camaro and brings back many memories I had with that car.

To me the Camaro is all about styling....
Old 06-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Thumbs up Great Review!!!

Well written!

On a related note, can't you just see the cousin on the sly???? You know, just keep it between you two?

No?

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Chi-One

Drives: 2013 DUSK Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
Well written!

On a related note, can't you just see the cousin on the sly???? You know, just keep it between you two?

No?

Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
WildcatSS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
Well written!

No?
Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. Why not keep both?
WildcatSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
supercharged zl1

Drives: '13 camaro zl1 '08 daytona charger
My brother has a challenger it feels like a boat inside.
supercharged zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncrediblyX View Post
Good review. The Camaro is the biggest car I have ever owned, yet the trunk and interior space is severely lacking because of the way its designed. I would take beauty over function any day. With these two cars, its like comparing a perfect 10 chick with an 8, but the 8 knows how to cook.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
r
Well, heck you can keep the 8 because I can cook myself , you'll always wish you had the 10 and therefore would die every time you see her.

I'm with ya! 10's. all day
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
challenger, comparison, rent, review