Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
How often to wax?

I was wondering how often you guys wax your ride? Is it possible to over wax? Once a month? I use the Adams products and love to detail my car. Sometimes, I like to get it dirty just so I can wash and detail it again.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I wax my car about every 3 months, or until the water does not bead anymore after a car wash.

I know what you mean though; with all the Adam's supplies I have, how can you not detail your car?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
=Stephens=

Exactly my point, with the daily specials. I am always adding more to my detailing arsenal.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
Tecca

Drives: ...
There are two many varible to answer this question this question the right way.

Where do you live, what type of weather does it see, is the car stored thoughout the day, how much do you wash it, and what type of concentration does the soap have. Lastly did you use a sealant or a carnauba.

I am going out on a limb and say every 3-6 weeks would be a good regiment for adams americana.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
=Stephens=

I live in Nebraska. I drive it everyday. I wash it about once a week. I use all Adams products for soap, wax, sealer. And its garaged every night. Rain or shine I am driving.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
There are two many varible to answer this question this question the right way.

Where do you live, what type of weather does it see, is the car stored thoughout the day, how much do you wash it, and what type of concentration does the soap have. Lastly did you use a sealant or a carnauba.

I am going out on a limb and say every 3-6 weeks would be a good regiment for adams americana.
Bingo! Everything has an impact so theres no 1 answer to the question.

The best way to define if you need to wax is while your washing... if after you complete the wash and you're rinsing the water goes flat your wax/sealant is failing or has failed... if it beads up and rolls away easily your wax/sealant is still doing its job.

If you're a 'weekly washer' which a lot of people are, pay close attention to how the water behaves on the car the first wash after you wax... thats your baseline for good wax protection. Each wash after that you'll likely notice less beading progressively until the water goes fully flat and 'sticks' to the paint.

On average heres what I'd say most people do (from my observations)

Buttery Wax - every 2-3 weeks
Machine Superwax - every 6-8 weeks
Americana - every 4-6 weeks

This isn't 'point of failure' type intervals, but a good schedule to maintain it without it going completely away.

Theres also no rule that says you can't go early on a reapplication... remember the wax is degrading a little every day so after a couple of weeks your're already at less than 100%.... putting a fresh coat down will build that back up just don't get carried away and start waxing every couple of days as that can lead to buildup and hazing/clouding.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Don't quit smoking and wax your car instead... 12+ layers of americana in a week is a pita to remove, don't ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
Don't quit smoking and wax your car instead... 12+ layers of americana in a week is a pita to remove, don't ask me how I know.

VIDEO GAMES DUDE!!! DISCOVER THEM....LOL
Old 06-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post

and that still wasn't enough to protect the paint.

You realize that you really didn't have 12 layers of wax right Ryan.

In general you cannot layer carnauba waxes. What happens when you add a layer of carnauba to an existing layer is the original layer sort of "reliquifies" and is spread around the car again.

There is a benefit to adding a second layer of carnauba - The second coat will even out the carnauba on the car and provide for better protection and a more consistent shine.

But adding more than two coats of carnauba is pretty much a waste of time and product.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Thats what hes getting at... at coat #12 he wanted to know why his paint looked cloudy... LOL... thats why its never a good idea to pick up detailing if trying to kick another addiction. You'll start to invent reasons to spend time rubbing your car.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
=Stephens=

Thanks Dylan for the info
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
RS1017

Drives: 2011 IBM 2LT/RS
noob question i know...dont hurt me

do i have to remove an old coat of wax before applying a new one?
RS1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS1017 View Post
noob question i know...dont hurt me

do i have to remove an old coat of wax before applying a new one?
Dylan provided a very solid answer above, but here's the quote again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Bingo! Everything has an impact so theres no 1 answer to the question.

The best way to define if you need to wax is while your washing... if after you complete the wash and you're rinsing the water goes flat your wax/sealant is failing or has failed... if it beads up and rolls away easily your wax/sealant is still doing its job.

If you're a 'weekly washer' which a lot of people are, pay close attention to how the water behaves on the car the first wash after you wax... thats your baseline for good wax protection. Each wash after that you'll likely notice less beading progressively until the water goes fully flat and 'sticks' to the paint.

On average heres what I'd say most people do (from my observations)

Buttery Wax - every 2-3 weeks
Machine Superwax - every 6-8 weeks
Americana - every 4-6 weeks

This isn't 'point of failure' type intervals, but a good schedule to maintain it without it going completely away.

Theres also no rule that says you can't go early on a reapplication... remember the wax is degrading a little every day so after a couple of weeks your're already at less than 100%.... putting a fresh coat down will build that back up just don't get carried away and start waxing every couple of days as that can lead to buildup and hazing/clouding.
Basically, no you do not have to remove wax before reapplication...I think
Old 06-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
usually ever two months for me, mine is an outdoor car, that tends to lead to earlier waxings! when beading turns to pooling, time to wax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
I wax my car about every 3 months, or until the water does not bead anymore after a car wash.

I know what you mean though; with all the Adam's supplies I have, how can you not detail your car?

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote