Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #29
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbob View Post
doh
C'mon guys lets not let the get too deep here.. No way the 02 ZO6 made that run stock... NO WAY
Although very impressive.. Now lets see if our new SS's can lay down some 11's w/o too many mods.. So I'm guessing NOS, or 410 gears on those runs if the LS6 or LS7 is stock... C'mon fess up
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #30
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Well most of those runs were done by Ranger and very well respected member in the corvette forum community. Hell he sells a instructional video to improve your times. Maybe you do drive your GT500 better than your Z06.

Honestly if I had a Z06, I would be on the Corvette forum trying to learn something about my car and what it can do. In all respect.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #31
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbob View Post
Excuse me? On my GT500 all I had to do was install a CAI, 2.4" metco pully, and download a new tune.. Instant 600hp dyno'd for proof. Actually, thats the most common upgrade used on the GT500's from Evolution performance. No disrespect intended here but... Who in their right mind would spend 5k on Supercharger for a measly 60hp? TVS, Ken Belle, Whipple, all make supercharger for the 5.1 GT500 engine that bolts on 100to 300 hp. I went with the FRPP TVS, and am pushing 800hp with a factory forged lower end that came from the factory able to handle the power.. Thats a lesson GM needs to take note.
Sorry to burst your bubble sir.
As I will reiterate below, you are correct. I am aiming really low on horsepower numbers. At the same time, you're parts are an exception. Superchargers amplify power to other parts. Spending $5000 doesn't just stop at the supercharger. A more reliable kit is more expensive usually, and performance parts play off of one another. The fact that your car came supercharged means that any other mods would be amplified by that supercharger. You are an exception to the rule. In most cars, expect much less horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koru View Post
You're really good at downplaying HP ratings.
The numbers companies will quote you generally aren't at the wheels. Expect less than quoted for most applications. For example, my Magnaflow on my Cobalt was quoted at 14 hp but the actual benefit was about half of that. It depends on other modifications. If you have an exhaust by itself, it will not give you as much benefit as an exhaust with headers and an intake. By itself, my numbers are correct. When added together, you can expect more. I'm aiming low with the numbers because the real power in most engines needs to be unlocked by opening up the internals. That means you'll need to bore and stroke your engine; swap the cam and crank; get new pistons and other internals. Bolt-ons are the most cost-effective means of horsepower, but you'll never get big numbers with bolt-ons. Thinking that you'll beat everything out there with stuff that costs under $3000 is a ricer mentality. Expect to pay for real performance.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #32
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverghost View Post
Funny how that mustang site is using the white trash photoshop pictures as "the production version shown here" pictures.

http://www.themustangnews.com/carnew...8camaro121.htm
it still looks better than the current mustang
Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #33
Captainbob

Drives: 69 Z28, 71 vette,01 ZO6,GT500
yep!
Hoping GM will do the right thing. Super charge the new SS.. So it will compete with the big dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnevMoEut_E vs. ZO6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2l25Q5AHc4 10.97 run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vML-dKHCcLg dyno vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtQEdfN-CA hole shot
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #34
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The fact that your car came supercharged means that any other mods would be amplified by that supercharger. You are an exception to the rule. In most cars, expect much less horsepower.
I dunno, I bolted a TRD Supercharger and 2.2" pulley on my 2002 Toyota 4Runner (3.4L V6) and gained 100HP at the WHEELS. I have dynos as proof as well.

I'd think a SC on a larger engine would net more power.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #35
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I dunno, I bolted a TRD Supercharger and 2.2" pulley on my 2002 Toyota 4Runner (3.4L V6) and gained 100HP at the WHEELS. I have dynos as proof as well.

I'd think a SC on a larger engine would net more power.
As I said before, I'm aiming really low because I'm considering all manufacturers and am not speaking only for V8s. Add 10 hp to all of my numbers for V8s and 20 hp if you have forced induction. Tuning a supercharger less conservatively will yield more.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote