Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #29
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
For us the Tahoes have been replaced with the explore PPV s
And apparently were getting those for regular patrol as well where as before it was for certain bureaus or for white shirts
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
The CHP is going to an all Explorer PPV fleet
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #31
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Maybe they will get you a 6.0 Caprice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I was going to say that. Why not Caprice?

Caprice PPV Procharged
None of the Chevy RWD cars were approved because they recommended premium fuel. Our department only has 89 octane. Sad. The department looks at it as requiring premium. I would've chose the Caprice also.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 AM   #32
DanSS24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
Yeah, my admin is not happy with the way our Chargers are holding up to the city beating they take. I hear now that they have ordered a few of the new Tahoes with the pursuit package. The state police here are buying a ton of them because they don't like the lack of room in the Caprices they bought.
Because the Caprice is being retired, our department is going with the last generation Fusion and Explorer Police Interceptor. I guess they got a better deal than the Chargers. However, we get to use our private vehicles as police vehicles. We get a subsidy every month to help with maintenance and monthly payments. Believe it or not, we have several different types of vehicles that are approved for police use that are not our City & County squad cars. I just wish the SS Sedans and Camaros were approved.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #33
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
Because the Caprice is being retired, our department is going with the last generation Fusion and Explorer Police Interceptor. I guess they got a better deal than the Chargers. However, we get to use our private vehicles as police vehicles. We get a subsidy every month to help with maintenance and monthly payments. Believe it or not, we have several different types of vehicles that are approved for police use that are not our City & County squad cars. I just wish the SS Sedans and Camaros were approved.
If you crack up your personal car while on duty does the department take care of the bill?
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #34
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post

Really? first off I didn't hear that the Caprice was being retired....and so quickly.....guess I am way out of the loop on that one.....and second I can't believe that a department would let you use personal vehicles....I take it that they have to be from some sort of approved list before they can be used
Not so sure I would want to do that........of course this is being said by someone who doesn't want a take home car at the house either..... although if I get promoted soon I will have an unmarked Charger to drive which will be a little better........don't want the "billboard" parked in front of my house telling everyone when I'm not home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
If you crack up your personal car while on duty does the department take care of the bill?

and yeah... what he said ^^^^^^

As far as the Chargers......I think they got an unfair review by our powers that be.........we got 2 to start off with.....after having the CVC for so long of course everyone and their brother jumped into both of them and ran the dog sh#$ out of them to see what they were like.....they got them equipped and gave them to the patrol supervisors which means they are running 24/7 for the most part....who after about a year wrecked both of them (actually into each other). So now they are "pieces of sh#$" because they weren't fixed properly. We got 3 more a year later, but the mileage on the CVCs wasn't high enough to get rid of any so they let the new Chargers basically sit for a year......which is never good for them. Then when the Chargers need service they take them to the local dealer and I guess under the state contract they won't put upgraded brakes on them so they get stock pads and rotors which under our city driving eats them up in no time flat .....so for that the car is considered junk......

Our patrol unit has to share about 20 marked cars between 36 officers....then there are officers on extra duty assignments that use them too......so after about 4 years and 60K to 70K miles they are all junk for the most part.

Overall I like them.....they have the power a police car should have.....for a decent sized guy I can actually get comfortable in the car even with a cage.....and I like the fact that I don't need to fumble with keys when trying to get the car started in a hurry or unlock it from the outside.

The only two downsides I really see over the CVC is that I don't have a lot of trunk space for my gear and some rear visibility but then again I am used to it because of the Camaro.

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 08-11-2014 at 08:01 AM.
SILVERHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #35
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Caprice isn't being retired until at least 2016.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #36
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
2015 Dodge Charger Pursuit

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/20...ails-and-specs

stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #37
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
They should offer it with the Hellcat motor.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #38
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
They should offer it with the Hellcat motor.
I can just see a 707HP police cruiser in a Michigan winter.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #39
DanSS24

Sorry guys, I meant to say Crown Vic.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #40
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
I can just see a 707HP police cruiser in a Michigan winter.
Offer it in the AWD version too. That would be even better. A four door GTR crime fighter would rock.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #41
DanSS24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
The department provides liability insurance, but we have to get comprehensive/collision on our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
Really? first off I didn't hear that the Caprice was being retired....and so quickly.....guess I am way out of the loop on that one.....and second I can't believe that a department would let you use personal vehicles....I take it that they have to be from some sort of approved list before they can be used
Not so sure I would want to do that........of course this is being said by someone who doesn't want a take home car at the house either..... although if I get promoted soon I will have an unmarked Charger to drive which will be a little better........don't want the "billboard" parked in front of my house telling everyone when I'm not home.
Yes, there is an approved list. I think we're the only state that does this. It actually helps keep the costs down for the County, with maintenance and insurance. In the past, only American cars were allowed for patrol use, but now the approved list consists of imports too. The most popular vehicles used are the Dodge Chargers, Chrysler 300 and Toyota 4Runner. But we also have the Ford Taurus, Explorer, Nissan Pathfinder and Altima. We even had Infiniti G35 sedans, but the current G37 sedans haven't been approved.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #42
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
You gotta be kidding me with this logic. The interior and the exterior alone on a srt>>>>>>>>>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
So you would rather look good rather than be good? Got it.

I'm continually amazed by people whom are swayed by a slick design and high hp and feel those things are all that matters in a performance car. The SRT Charger weighs 4365 lbs (3,975 lbs for the SS) and will never handle like the Chevy b/c of it's front-heavy unbalanced weight.

As I mentioned, the Charger's larger Hemi engine has the power advantage, with 55 hp and 55 lb-ft more tq than the SS LS3 415/415. The Dodge, on the other hand, weighs nearly 400 pounds more; with that, the power-to-weight ratio evens out dramatically. Brake specs are essentially identical. The Charger offers adaptive suspension. The SS has an extra gear in its automatic, a bit more tire, more standard equipment and $2,000 price edge.

The SS Performance sedan far outperforms the SRT Charger in nearly every single way and you say the Chevy doesn't compare?
Im just saying the SS looks like one of the worst cars on the road, ugly souped up malibu looking thing with fender vents.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote