Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #183
Bocephus

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona, BBP, 3.73
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
I'm not trying to argue with you I'm just not very sure ford can keep the weight down like they want. even if it gains 100 lbs it's still gaining weight. and that's my point. I just expect it to gain weight. believe me I have a lot of friends that are mustang owners. I even went to mustang week in myrtle beach sc. and I respect the mustang it's just not my thing. I also say if ford keeps the weight down and all it will be close and I wouldn't mind that at all. I like competition.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #184
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
funny thing about expecting things. they tend to change. . .look at what most people were expecting the camaro to come in at for weight. . .3700ish. Soo. . .with the new safety standards and a bigger engine you expect weight to be lower? that's cool. let me know how much it weights when it gets here.
IF it gets here.....

get it?
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #185
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
Well I'm not 100% sure if I'm buying a 2011 Mustang or if I'm switching to a Camaro. That's why I'm hanging out over here, I'm not here to cause problems. I'm waiting until the new models come out before I make my decision. I love the Camaro(really!) but I'm also looking forward to see what Ford does. They are being very tight lipped about it, unlike Chevy. I'm getting my info from a Ford insider that has been very accurate in the past. I'm not just pulling this info from my ass like you guys probably think. If he's right I will be getting another Mustang. If not I may just get a Camaro.
Actually chevy was very tight lipped waiting on what dodge would do and now they have come out with a great product. It's what all smart companies do. DAMMIT FORD WHY NO BOSS ENGINE!!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #186
kevin2323

Quote:
the safety features side are bags are going to be required in 2011 along with increased support in the side of the car. both those increase weight. so does a bigger engine. to expect the weight to stay the same is like expecting to win the lottery. but that's just my view. for your sake I hope your right but I just don't see it.
Dodge had to stick a giant piece of steel across the side of the challenger for side impact BS and that added alot of weight.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #187
chevys

Drives: 03 Mach 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
A lot of guys on this thread are a little fumed about these types of challenges. I don't like them either, but I'd be glad to see what your Mach 1 does at the track after I get my SS. I'm not saying anything about winning or losing. You've got a great ride—one that Ford worked hard to make right. GM is doing the same thing with my SS, and that 2 ton beast is going to outperform most cars on the strip. Weight is not the only thing to consider in performance, so please don't disrespect our "pig." It's a beast, and we like it.

I came off a bit strong perhaps so forgive me for that. I still wont change my opinion on this. The SS should clean my clock all things being equal. I have no doubt about this more than I do taking out a 300 hp v6 camaro. Now, the SS and the 03/04 cobras should be a heck of a race. Probably come down the the driver.

I forgot I was on a GM forum so I understand you feelings. Nothing wrong with the camaro at all in fact I like most of it. I swear I think that mustang and camaro owners are some of the finicky bunch of people out there. That goes for me also. The real enemy is the ricers and sometimes I forget that. Peace out.
chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #188
chevys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
Actually chevy was very tight lipped waiting on what dodge would do and now they have come out with a great product. It's what all smart companies do. DAMMIT FORD WHY NO BOSS ENGINE!!
The 6.2 was only developed as a 2 valve engine and its way to heavy and impractical for the mustang. It will only see duty in the f250 and up from my understanding. The 5.0 will be a much better piece all things considered. Word in the rumor mill is that a version of the 5.0 will go in the f150 as well and during durability testing it was doing far better than the 6.2. Ford cant afford to screw up this engine as there is too much riding on it.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #189
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
The 6.2 was only developed as a 2 valve engine and its way to heavy and impractical for the mustang. It will only see duty in the f250 and up from my understanding. The 5.0 will be a much better piece all things considered. Word in the rumor mill is that a version of the 5.0 will go in the f150 as well and during durability testing it was doing far better than the 6.2. Ford cant afford to screw up this engine as there is too much riding on it.

I understand now.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #190
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
Same goes to the guys trashing the challenger. Btw the challenger will not be supercharged from factory. Unlike other companies they know true muscle is pure engine so that whole SC challenger rumor it is false. 2010 will be a 6.4 or nothing period.
I hope I'm not one of them. I've made a little fun over the weight since it will be the heaviest in its class, but I'm not threatening or challenging drivers that their car is inferior. It's a great car, just a little heavy.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #191
kevin2323

Quote:
I hope I'm not one of them. I've made a little fun over the weight since it will be the heaviest in its class, but I'm not threatening or challenging drivers that their car is inferior. It's a great car, just a little heavy.
I prefer chunky hahaha
Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #192
crippled

Drives: MB clk430 02
wtf i agree with the statement above saying its funny how mustang fans are so worried that the v6 is scaring the gt so bad, i mean even if the car is heavy considering the price range it will still be so much cheaper to get rid of a little extra weight, its not hard,by the way v8 camaro will have like 100hp increase with just a cam swap
crippled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #193
chevys

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippled View Post
wtf i agree with the statement above saying its funny how mustang fans are so worried that the v6 is scaring the gt so bad, i mean even if the car is heavy considering the price range it will still be so much cheaper to get rid of a little extra weight, its not hard,by the way v8 camaro will have like 100hp increase with just a cam swap
I can assure you I am not the least bit worried and Im driving a 6 year old mustang now. Its not a GT but they are close in performance and I would have no problem saying the same if I were driving a 05 and up. The v6 camaro gang better look out for four door camrys and Nissan altimas. These are family cars for goodness sake. Its a nice base package but honestly the weight negates the big gain under the hood. There is no way around physics. Big let down to me.

I think too many people look at peak numbers and dont consider the entire package. I think the Ls3 is a killer engine and love the thing. The caddy v6 is a big step up also. Still, are you going to need to worry about a Gt mustang when your neighbor with a camry may take you out? Its very possible.

Lastly, Im not sure Gm's marketing is going to work when it comes down to sales and that is all anybody in Detroit cares about these days. Its yet to be seen but have they gone too far upscale? You should hear the mustang guys whine about a stick axel but its a forumla that has kept the car alive for a long time. Maybe GM will surprise me with the price but I doubt it just like the weight.

Last edited by chevys; 08-09-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #194
chevys

Quote:
I love the challenger but its too heavy, too thirsty and too expensive for me. Still, I love the looks of that thing. Its bad ass.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #195
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
I love the challenger but its too heavy, too thirsty and too expensive for me. Still, I love the looks of that thing. Its bad ass.
True.
I've been entertaining the idea of getting a Challenger R/T. It'll only have 45 horses less than the SRT-8, but costs about 8k less at sticker. I'll be able to make up those 45 horses and more for WAY less than 8k.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #196
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
The new platform isn't coming until 2014. Ford is serious about fuel economy and weight is a major factor and what they are concentrating on, along with more efficient engines. That's why they killed the 6.2.

The new safety standards:
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/e_i/n...le_7009_en.htm

Overview of new requirements
Mandatory electronic stability control (ESC) systems on new models and commercial vehicles by 2012 and on all new cars by 2014.
Advanced emergency braking (AEBS) on large vehicles from 2013
Lane departure warning (LDW) systems on large vehicles from 2013
Low rolling resistance tyres (LRRT) on new models by 2012 and all new cars by 2014
Tyre-pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) on all new models by 2012 and all new cars by 2014
Wet grip safety requirements

I don't see anything that's going to add a whole hell of a lot of weight and nothing that's required before 2014, when the new Mustang platform is coming out. TPMS is already standard on current Mustangs. Once again, where is all this extra weight coming from that you guys seem to think is going to happen?

found this link Motorvehicleregs.com states side impact changes. This will cause weight to rise
Quote:
June 06, 2008

FMVSS 214 (Side Impact)

On June 9, 2008, NHTSA will publish in the Federal Register a notice responding to petitions for reconsideration of the September 11, 2007 final rule that upgraded FMVSS 214, “Side Impact Protection.” In response to the petitions, the notice makes the following changes to the requirements:

1) it delays the start of the phase-in by on year from Sep. 1, 2009 to Sep. 1, 2010;

2) it modifies the phase-in from:
20%/50%/75%/100%
to
20%/40%/60%/80%/100%.

3) it specifies that, through the end of the phase-in, the test speed for the pole test shall be “26 km/h to 32 km/h” (16 mph to 20 mph). Upon conclusion of the phase-in, vehicles must meet the requirements of the pole test when tested “at any speed up to and including 32 km/h (20 mph)”;
3) it delays the effective date for convertibles until September 1, 2015;

4) it delays the effective date for multi-stage vehicles and alterers until September 1, 2016.

5) it corrects a number of omissions and errors relating to:
· the earning of credits for early compliance,
· the SID-IIs dummy arm positioning,
· the definition of limited line manufacturer, and
· the reinstatement of the seat adjustment procedure for the SID dummy.
ps. I didn't see what you had posted about the standards until today. and what you posted was from the EU. sorry again not trying to argue just trying to clear things up a bit about the standards. and who knows how much weight the mustang will have. but I can almost guarantee it won't be 3500 lbs which it sits right now. still will be a good race.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote