Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Dan@showstopper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I'm right next door to you in Oakbrook and I have Pfadt springs on my car. I daily drive my car for the most part from April-November. You have to be a little more careful hitting large bumps and driveways. Sometimes you hit a hard bump, but all in all it works out fine. I wouldn't hesitate in a heart beat to lower my car again.
Dan@showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Churnedrock, I think as other people have stated, lowering springs are a great idea for any Camaro owner interested in attaining a new, low look, and even more importantly; a performance increase. We will disagree with some of the comments already posted about myths of bumpstop cutting. You will not find any loss of OEM ride quality with Pfadt lowering coils, ask anyone. You will find quite the opposite, and most will say the ride is improved upon.

The Pfadt drop coils give you at 1.25" drop, which is lower than others, while still maintaining the OEM ride quality, and performance that delivers when it counts as we have proven. The Pfadt lowering coils are in stock and ready to ship. If you want to get that low look with out sacrificing anything on ride quality or performance for the rough roads you live around, you should at least check them out. Also, our coils a guaranteed to fit just like OEM coils, no matter which model year you have with either of the upper spring isolators that GM has supplied. Take a look at some of the cars that are on Pfadt Lowering Coils, and see for yourself.

Could not agree more with the above. I have the pfadt springs and absolutely love them.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #17
gmag21
gmag21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to gmag21 Send a message via Skype™ to gmag21
I dont know if it's just me but now that my car is lowered I feel like it accelerates faster too. The car feels much more planted and I think it may be due to the lower center of gravity that makes it seem this way.

I absolutley love it. Its similar to a vette

L99 | Billyboat Exhaust, American Racing Headers, Pfadt Springs and Sways, Tune | 350 whp / 371 tq
gmag21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
ScottyB911

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churnedrock View Post
I live in the west suburbs of Chicago, where roads are constantly going under construction, and due to the drastic seasonal weather changes, about 80% of all streets have enormous pot holes where no matter how fast you react your gonna hit a part of it. I'm new to the whole aftermarket car scene (Well the car scene in general actually haha) and am not too sure if this would really work out. I see cars low to the ground everywhere, but usually they're exotic cars on nice streets or on a highway.
I went with the Eibachs 1" up front and 1.3" rear. Never had a rub or bottom out issue and not only does the car look better, it REALLY changed the cars ability to take corners. Im not sure about the other springs offered but the progressive rate on the Eibachs is great because its a smooth & comfortable ride (with no "bouncing" or hitting bump stops) during normal driving, but they hold the car level when driving aggressively.

(lowering the cars seems to make the car feel a bit smaller as well)

Scotty B
ScottyB911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
bigpunn03

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
For all the people that use Pfadt did you time the bushings and did you cut bumpstops?
bigpunn03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpunn03 View Post
For all the people that use Pfadt did you time the bushings and did you cut bumpstops?
Here is a thread with some info.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #21
bigpunn03

Just got the car back today with Pfadt springs. It rides perfect.. Corners perfect... Thanks Pfadt and Apex Chase!!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
thanks bigpunn03!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #23
Steve1968LS2

Drives: 1968 LS2 powered - Bad Penny
We had great luck with our DSE drop springs.. they gave the perfect (to us) stance and improved performance.

The only downside is you're stuck for now with the strock struts, but unless you will be doing heavy track work they are "ok" for the street..

Great bang for the buck if you don't have thousands to spend on coil overs.

1968 Camaro - 461 RHS LS 700hp, various stuff, called Bad Penny
1968 Camaro - In progress, called Track Rat
2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

www.fquick.com/steve1968ls2
Steve1968LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #24
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Just got the car back today with Pfadt springs. It rides perfect.. Corners perfect... Thanks Pfadt and Apex Chase!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
thanks bigpunn03!
+1 We appreciate the shout out!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #25
Failsafe Performance

Drives: 2008 350Z
We have installed the pfadt springs and sways. Definitely made the car handle for the better while not being too low as to cause problems around town.
Failsafe Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #26
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
If you do NOT time the bushes the spring rates on bound and rebound will be uneven. There is no short cut to installing coilovers or lowering coils that will be correct if you fail to time the bushes. This isn't a product specific concept. It is a necessary step.

Rubber bushes do NOT rotate in the control arms. Rubber bushes TWIST in the control arms as the suspension articulates. The bushes offer resistance and want to spring back to their at rest position. The OE engineers calculate the bush resistance into the spring rate. If you alter your vehicles ride height the bushes are either twisted on the bound or on the rebound while sitting at rest depending on if the car was raised or lowered.

The lower rear inner control arm bush on the Camaro is very high in resistance. Given the strength of that particular bush and the number of rubber bushes in the Camaro correctly timing the bushes is mission critical if you change ride height. Aside from the uneven loading and unloading of the bushes which unsettles the ride and handling the bushes will wear out more rapidly.

Cutting a progressive bumpstop is another matter. The bumpstop from the factory was designed to engage smoothly and avoid abrupt reaction. The tip of the stop offers just a bit of resistance and as you further compress the bumpstop the resistance increases. Once the bumpstop is cut, most of the progressive material is removed. When you do fully engage the bumpstop it be more abrupt.

People and companies can have different opinions about a great number of things. Some things are simply not opinion.

The sky is blue.
Water is wet.
Bushes should be timed to ride height.
Removing progressive material from a bumpstop creates a more blunt, a less progressive bumpstop.

This is a chart of Gingerman lap times and it includes the results from the Motor State Pro Touring Challenge Manufactures Class, performance cars and race cars. No suspension company ran a faster lap at Gingeramn than Pedders, not even in purpose built showcase Pro Touring Cars. The Pedders 5th Gen Camaro time is from last fall. We ran faster at the Supercar Shootout but can't print the times until the story hits the news stands

All this information is great for bench racing. When you select coils for your 5th Gen Camaro the best way to make a choice is to get a ride or drive in a Camaro that has the coils you are considering. Then you will KNOW what you are getting before you spend your hard earned mod money.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #27
bigpunn03

ok I've had the car lowered about a week now. Still drives good, but I had some concerns with the rear. It seems like now if I accelerate to fast in a turn it wants to fish tail. I had the shop do the alignment to Pfadt performance setup but the numbers don't match up on the right and left for front and rear. I did notice when hitting certain bumps that it seems to bottom out. Are these characteristics normal?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
ok I've had the car lowered about a week now. Still drives good, but I had some concerns with the rear. It seems like now if I accelerate to fast in a turn it wants to fish tail. I had the shop do the alignment to Pfadt performance setup but the numbers don't match up on the right and left for front and rear. I did notice when hitting certain bumps that it seems to bottom out. Are these characteristics normal?
You may have to go and check the alignment again, it wanting to "fishtail" and bottoming out is not normal whatsoever. Give us a call if you your shop can not diagnose it.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote