Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
smhss

Drives: '11 Silverado, '10 Camaro 2SS...
Send a message via Yahoo to smhss
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Or you could go down to the Ford dealer and take a gander at the new 6.2L.
The problem with Ford is that they make you but the most expensive darn truck they have to get the big engine. Another plus for Chevy when I bought my truck; leather and 6.0 in an LT--translation: I don't have to look at the ridiculous faux wood in the LTZ just to get a couple of perks.

I just came from dealer--the engine is in a BUNCH of pieces. What happened was that a lifter was installed backwards when the engine was built. I got to see it and see how the end of it was all scored/marred up. Pretty damn sloppy, I'd say. It's a wonder the engine made it this many miles. Now they are "waiting for parts".
smhss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
I wouldn't lose faith because of one issue or one vehicle.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
You probably just did get a dud. Trust me, if even 5% of consumers had major engine trouble in 50k miles the reliability ratings of the truck would be dismal. Sometimes one bad part can ruin the whole product. I had a bad fuel pump that caused so many random issues on my old Ford truck that I thought the thing was unreliable. But once the real issue was pinpointed (after several years, and many mechanics) the truck ran perfectly. Too bad it was already 8 years old and I was eying that Camaro. But the new owner of my truck is very happy and even sent a thank you letter (for the condition and reliability) after a few months.

I hope your issue gets resolved, but don't for a second think that this one truck's problems are inherent across all chevy/gm products.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #18
xs29j8
Hemis, Six Packs, & Wings

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8 & Old Mopars
In the last 20 years I have only had experience with Dodge Ram trucks, and all of it was very good. The two that I have right now are a 1990 with over 225,000 miles on the original 318 engine and a 2004 with over 97,000 miles on the original 5.7L Hemi.

Based on discussions with friends that own other makes, they all appear to have a pretty good record for reliability. Like you said, you may have been dealt a dud, lemon, whatever you care to call it.

Based on my great experiences with Dodge (now just "RAM"), there is no doubt that I would buy one if I was in the market for a new truck. Even if I consider them all equally reliable, I would buy the RAM based on styling alone. I am sure many may disagree, but I consider the styling of the current RAM to be far better than it's competition. And the new interiors are fantastic.

So, although I would recommend buying a new RAM, I would not eliminate Chevy based on a single engine failure that is not backed up by a known service life issue...

XS
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs29j8 View Post
In the last 20 years I have only had experience with Dodge Ram trucks, and all of it was very good. The two that I have right now are a 1990 with over 225,000 miles on the original 318 engine and a 2004 with over 97,000 miles on the original 5.7L Hemi.

Based on discussions with friends that own other makes, they all appear to have a pretty good record for reliability. Like you said, you may have been dealt a dud, lemon, whatever you care to call it.

Based on my great experiences with Dodge (now just "RAM"), there is no doubt that I would buy one if I was in the market for a new truck. Even if I consider them all equally reliable, I would buy the RAM based on styling alone. I am sure many may disagree, but I consider the styling of the current RAM to be far better than it's competition. And the new interiors are fantastic.

So, although I would recommend buying a new RAM, I would not eliminate Chevy based on a single engine failure that is not backed up by a known service life issue...

XS
Did I ask you already to sell me your old Barracuda? If not, want to sell it I love the Cudas (1970/1971). They're my favorite muscle car. One day I hope to own one, but by that time it'll probably be about 80 years old!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #20
TahoeCamaro

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS VR, '11 Tahoe LTZ
Probably just got a dud, but so did I with my Tahoe. Transmission has had to be replaced twice and fixed once, lots of technical problems like my automatic lift gate breaking 3 times and currently in need of a repair, 4wd needs to be replaced now, but I know that it's just my car. None of my other GMs, including our 2008 Escalade - basically the same vehicle, have had any problems. Heck, I got a lemon.
I have been and always will be a GM guy. One bad car won't stop me from continuing to buy .
Old 10-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #21
chevys

Drives: 03 Mach 1
I also think you just got a bad one. Can happen with anything. I have owned three Gm trucks in a row. With that said, I am done with them. I have never had a major failure like an engine or transmission. The little stuff has driven me crazy. Rattles, water pumps, alternators(I mean a bunch of these) fit and finish, slave cylinders, AC compressors, rear end leaks, cruise control quits, starters, and I could go on and on. All three nickled and dimed me to death. I never ran any of them hard but they fall apart around the engine.

If I had to chose today it would be Ford for me. My boss replaced his entire fleet starting in 2007 from Gm to Ford. He was pissed about the bailout and he fell out with the local Chevy dealership over some stuff. These trucks get the living hell beat out of them and so far one had an injector replaced under warranty. One of them is run so hard that I have no idea how its held up. These trucks all have about 80K on them and are as tight as they day they were new.

IN order I would chose Ford, Dodge, Gm, and Toyota. I dont think anybody makes a bad truck anymore but you could get a dud with anybody. There are horror stories with every brand of anything but right now I think Ford is really on top of their game especially with the new engines coming for 2011.
chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #22
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Two things, the first a question.

You didn't mention what you took your truck in for. I'm puzzled that they tore the engine down but can't tell you what's wrong. What's wrong is why you took it in. How they will fix it might be the issue.

Second item, anyone who uses Government Motors to describe GM is simply a hater. They wanted GM to fail in the first place. There are lots of reasons for that and almost all of them sad. So I would discount those comments right away.

If you feel you are getting the run around at all PM me with your SR number and I'll see if I can get you some help.

And I'll finish by saying I'm sorry you are having issues. GM is pretty confident on their powertrains, so much so that you have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. If you were driving a Ford you'd have come close to not being covered by their 5 year 60,000 mile warranty. The small block V8 is a very well respected engine or it's performance, reliability and durability.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #23
smhss

Thanks for the reply Number 3. I took the truck in last Thursday because the engine idiot light was on, along with the Stablitrak light. The truck was cruising up the Interstate (literally--on c.c. at 75 mph) when it lost power and started running rough enough to make a milkshake on the dashboard. Never ran hot.

As I said above, the diagnosis is a lifter installed backwards, which of course is also requiring at least a new camshaft. My only other issue with this truck has been the failure of three of the four power door lock actuators, which were fixed under warranty before I passed 36K miles. The fourth failed in the low 40K mile range and the dealer told me "too bad". That was a bit of a pisser.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #24
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhss View Post
Thanks for the reply Number 3. I took the truck in last Thursday because the engine idiot light was on, along with the Stablitrak light. The truck was cruising up the Interstate (literally--on c.c. at 75 mph) when it lost power and started running rough enough to make a milkshake on the dashboard. Never ran hot.

As I said above, the diagnosis is a lifter installed backwards, which of course is also requiring at least a new camshaft. My only other issue with this truck has been the failure of three of the four power door lock actuators, which were fixed under warranty before I passed 36K miles. The fourth failed in the low 40K mile range and the dealer told me "too bad". That was a bit of a pisser.
Oooops, missed your middle post reading the thead. Agreed, not sure how that didn't make itself known a lot earlier.

Hopefully you are back on the road soon.

I've often said a good dealership experience can help soften the blow of a broken vehicle so hopefully they are treating you well during this.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #25
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
1997 Cheyanne Vortec 5700: 140K in HARD miles and finally met it's match in the rear diff towing 1 ton over it's limit of 2.25 tons. Popped and groaned to the point of 'ok how about lets NOT blow up the truck..' but never gave. Next day drove fine. Only issue has been ABS which we just let go. It's also been T-Boned hard and drives like new. I've pondered repairing the rust and driving it when we get a new work truck but unfortunately we're keeping it rather than selling it.

2003 Silverado 2500HD (6.0L) 128K miles: No motor issues. Roadtrip mobile/work truck replacing the Cheyanne. Only replaced the dash (bad electronics), blower motor 4 times, compressor 2 times, switch assemblies for the HVAC 2 times..

Other GM: 1999 GMC Sierra 3500 Cab w/ Jursik Dump. 6.0L Detroit Diesel. No Issues Jursik Dump Bed: No Issues. Allison trans: waiting for it to blow..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #26
smhss

I don't think I can swallow the reduction in horsepower that the Dodge would bring, and pick up trucks should have column shifters, IMO. The console shifter is just a cheapo way to save on knuckles, etc, again, IMO.

Dealer has been "okay" at best. Not very communicative, and the rental HHR is a true pain to work out of. I mentioned it today and the woman said: "they (Enterprise) now have a Suburban available, but it'll cost you an upcharge".

I'll admit it--I think GM should give me a nice break on a NEW truck when this is over. I know, I know, "that's what warranties are for", but geez...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #27
nasty2ss

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss IOM
Had a 2002 chevy 2500 the thing was a piece of junk I'll never buy another chevy truck again.
nasty2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #28
xs29j8
Hemis, Six Packs, & Wings

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8 & Old Mopars
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Did I ask you already to sell me your old Barracuda? If not, want to sell it I love the Cudas (1970/1971). They're my favorite muscle car. One day I hope to own one, but by that time it'll probably be about 80 years old!
Thanks, but Ol' Yeller is one of the three not-for-sale "untouchables" in my collection, the other two being a triple black '68 Charger R/T & a Platinum Silver '69 Road Runner. You can check them out (and some others) in the "My Garage" link...

My favorite old Mopars based on styling are the 1968/69/70 Chargers, followed closely by the 1970/71 Barracuda/`Cuda.

XS