Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #29
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
SRT8..... Not even in close to the same class?
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
^ Correct on the 05-10, It looks like the 2011 has a hitch in the rear pic I posted in post #1
Our township has the lowest population in the region, yet the most roads. Clearing them after a big storm usually takes a while. I have never gotten stuck in a 2WD car with snow tires.

My point about 2WD vs 4WD/AWD is that the real problem is avoiding collisions, be it by swerving or slowing down. Putting power through 4 wheels does absolutely nothing to help you there, except in the extremely rare situations where you see you are about to be rear ended (their fault anyway) and you are stopped with clear road ahead of you. I suppose it would help you then, but I don't think thats why people buy them. Driving an SUV would improve your chances during a collision, driving a car would definitely improve your chances of avoiding it in the first place. Plus, the confidence that AWD instills when accelerating makes the driver more likely to drive at speeds too fast for conditions, which makes it harder to avoid accidents.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #31
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
SRT8, considering that Caddy is still a freaking station wagon
And we have a winner, unless you need an 'in' with the blue-hair crowd (Wagon + Cadillac = wouldn't be prudent).
Old 12-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #32
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
If I have to stick to the wagon and not the two door CTS-V then I would Jeep for sure.

I would take a regular Jeep over a wagon.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #33
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
SRT8 just because I think it is a unique car. Also an amazing sleeper...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #34
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaber99 View Post
SRT8.

Wagons remind me of my grandparents (in the '70s)!! I had to sit in the seats that folded up in the back, some of you know what I'm talking about!!!
I always loved this shot of kids sitting like that in the back of this AMG E class wagon. I think it had over 500 HP too. I wish I could find a bigger photo of it. In the actual October '09 issue of R&T it was bigger! The kid's faces are priceless when the driver is doing a burnout!

Name:  ct_fun-factor_mb-amg_th1.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  11.7 KB
Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #35
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Ummm, DGthe3, AWD does help you turn as well as start in the snow. I'm not sure why you'd think AWD doesn't help you turn?

As far as the workarounds go, ya OK, but wouldn't you rather not need workarounds?

You are right that it has no effect on slowing though. I agree that many get a false sense of confidence as well. Bottom line though, AWD > then 2WD in snow.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #36
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
Ummm, DGthe3, AWD does help you turn as well as start in the snow. I'm not sure why you'd think AWD doesn't help you turn?

As far as the workarounds go, ya OK, but wouldn't you rather not need workarounds?

You are right that it has no effect on slowing though. I agree that many get a false sense of confidence as well. Bottom line though, AWD > then 2WD in snow.
Agreed i have had the "pleasure" of driving my dad's FWD Regal and my patriot in very similar conditions in the last couple weeks. The is far superior and more stable. As for braking, you are correct, it is no help there. I do like the fact that having a manual, I can manually shift down and use engine braking when stopping on the slick stuff
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #37
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I don't know why "AWD doesn't help you brake" comes up in these arguments all the time. When has the drive wheels ever helped you brake?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #38
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I don't care how many or which wheels you have driving the car, if you suck at driving in snow, you'll fail. Simple as that. Reminds me of two winters ago when a 4WD Honda CR-V went flying past me on the highway during a blizzard and slid straight into a guard rail.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #39
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Wagons are ugly no matter what letters are in front of it...even CTS-V! Great power and engine...but it's still a wagon!

SRT8 for me please...and after driving one at the SRT Experience, it's a dang fine sport SUV! I liked it lots!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #40
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Hehe, or last winter, i was in a nearby city with my old '91 Caprice (with winter snow/ice tires). It was during snow storm, and i was at a light with a 4x4 XTerra beside me, and a Ford Fx4 truck behind me. Both had 4x4 on, because you could see there front tires spin, yet the 4x4 systems either didn't have a rear limited slip, or just were plain awful because my car would walk away from them at every light we stopped at. (Not racing, just navigating in the snow.)

2WD isn't bad, you just need a limited slip (and proper tires too) in order to get the job done.
My '10 SRX with Haldex AWD and a torque vectoring Rear differential does wonders in the snow, and is a beaut with the snow/ice tires on!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #41
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And 99% of those who claim they need AWD for the snow, don't. And a lot of them of them end up in the ditch as everyone else drives on by. A 2WD car with snow tires is still better to drive in the snow in the majority of cases. No, it can't accelerate as quickly, but if the roads are shyte why in the world do you want to go fast? And sure, it might have a hard time getting out of deep snow, but there are usually workarounds for that (kitty litter, a mini-shovel, and some skill should work just about every time). In bad weather its far more important to be able to slow down and turn than it is to accelerate and AWD doesn't help in either category. The problem gets compounded when the driver has a false sense of security because they think that AWD=perfect for snow.
Ummmm. While I agree with most of your post, the statement in bold is just ridiculous. Why carry kitty litter, shovel, etc when you can just use a 4wd vehicle and not have to worry about it too much.

We just got 20 inches last saturday. I find it hard to believe that a rear drive or a front drive car would do well in that. I drive a rear wheel drive car for work and if there is more than 4 or 5 inches on the ground, you really aren't going anywhere.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #42
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Oh, and I would take the SRT over the V wagon.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote