Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
GM's commitment to quality.Caution longish post.

I just finished doing timing chains on a 07 CTS with 38k, the timing chains were streched and setting cam timing codes per the TSB.(Not under warranty, salvage title on theft recovery) With my flame suit on, and considering the number of GM employees here, is GM really commited to quality? I would hate to see a replay of the late 80's when GM ran the 4.3 in the Cadillacs that couldn't go 50k without developing a low end knock, Lincoln put out cars only a grandmother would drive, and the imports got their toe in the door for high end cars. Currently, Cadillac is doing some great designs while Lincoln is as exciting as reading a phone book, but is the commitment to improving overall quality being stressed at all levels? I would hate to see the Lexus, Infinity, Acura trio gain more ground.

Last edited by derklug; 12-02-2010 at 11:26 AM.
derklug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I can't speak for a GM employee, but in my opinion the GM of 2010-2011 is in a completely different realm as far as how to run a business compared to the GM of 2006-2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
I can't speak for a GM employee, but in my opinion the GM of 2010-2011 is in a completely different realm as far as how to run a business compared to the GM of 2006-2007.
I will second this!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
I think you're jumping to conclusions based on a car that was wrecked. Besides, if a TSB fixes the problem, I don't really consider it an issue. I don't really get what you're talking about with lincoln either. I think the MKS with the ecoboost is pretty awesome, as well as the MKT and MKX. The MKZ is a great car too.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
we can agree ford and chevy has and is stepping up the quality meanwhile dodge.........
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
we can agree ford and chevy has and is stepping up the quality meanwhile dodge.........
Meanwhile Dodge is in the process of overhauling the vast majority of their models basically focusing on every nitpick of basically every model. Getting shining reviews so far for their new high quality class cometitive or even better interiors, a nw fully modern V6 engine, completely new GC, Charger and Durango that are truly setup to be class leaders, yeah, meanwhile Chrysler indeed........
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
quality....easpecially car quality, is something that can't be proven over just a few years. GM, Ford, blah blah blah....you claim quality and reliability for them 10 - 20 years from now and you have an argument.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Meanwhile Dodge is in the process of overhauling the vast majority of their models basically focusing on every nitpick of basically every model. Getting shining reviews so far for their new high quality class cometitive or even better interiors, a nw fully modern V6 engine, completely new GC, Charger and Durango that are truly setup to be class leaders, yeah, meanwhile Chrysler indeed........
Meanwhile Chrysler redid the Sebring's interior, renamed the car "200," but found out that they forgot to change the Sebring's exterior...
Old 12-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Meanwhile Chrysler redid the Sebring's interior, renamed the car "200," but found out that they forgot to change the Sebring's exterior...
Actually they did what they could. new front fascia, new fenders, revised rear, more would have been senseless since it is to be replaced in the next couple years. Anyways, you missing the true point, it's not about looks but quality of the vehicle and the drive. Along with those exterior changes, you get the 283 HP V6 with a 6 speed auto and 29 MPG highway (all considerably above the Malibu), a totally revised suspension where like 9X percent of the bushings have been replace along with different springs and shocks and a lower ride height. The interior is totally redone with soft much materials and a very upscale looks and feel. I have seen a few pictures of different Sebrings from the LA autoshow and the Chrysler pictures origionally released do NOT do this car justice! Besides you are basically concentrating on one model. Hell, they are even updating the compass so it looks good. The only real one of their refreshed 11s out right now are the Wrangler (MAJOR interior improvements but wait for th 12 model when it gets the Pentastar) and the Patriot, which is heads and tails above earlier models in build quality (and apparently it works because the local dealer sells everyone they are getting in very short order, some as soon as they get them in). Trust me, these refreshed and redesigned cars are going to be up there with GM at least, though I believe the Avnger/200 will have to wait until a complete redesign to be truly competitive with the Fusion.

Doesn't look too bad to me

Last edited by Stew; 12-02-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added pictures of sebring
Old 12-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Now watch as the cars arrive on the showrooms with 'Sebring' badges..

Sergio: "Uh.. you-ah deed not-a see-ah anythin' Heeeere we go~!"
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Now watch as the cars arrive on the showrooms with 'Sebring' badges..

Sergio: "Uh.. you-ah deed not-a see-ah anythin' Heeeere we go~!"
Actually they have already showed the car, complete with "200" badged on it (though the location on the rear pillar is not very good looking).
Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
As a GM employee, I can guaran-damn-tee you that GMs commitment to delivering quality has NEVER been more focussed. It is part of nearly every discussion and our current Quality and Validation leadership have this as priority one.

Now I always caution people on judging quality on a car you don't know the history on. For all you know the car wasn't maintained. Do you know how many oil changes were performed? How the car was driven? Who has worked on it?

Even my own family has bought high mileage used vehicles and had problems with them and told me, "see they just don't make good cars". If you don't know the history it's a crap shoot. That is one reason why buying certified used "can" be an advantage. You get a 1 year warranty and a certified GM inspection. I'm not sure what you get buying a certified salvaged car.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I didn't know you only get 1 year warranty on GM certified pre-owned. ThE GM certified inspection is tricky. If you were buying a used car from
someone, would you really pay or trust that someone to do the inspection on their used car? Just saying, whenever I buy a used car, I take it to a different place for a PPI ( pre-purchase inspection).
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #14
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
I just finished doing timing chains on a 07 CTS with 38k, the timing chains were streched and setting cam timing codes per the TSB.(Not under warranty, salvage title on theft recovery) With my flame suit on, and considering the number of GM employees here, is GM really commited to quality? I would hate to see a replay of the late 80's when GM ran the 4.3 in the Cadillacs that couldn't go 50k without developing a low end knock, Lincoln put out cars only a grandmother would drive, and the imports got their toe in the door for high end cars. Currently, Cadillac is doing some great designs while Lincoln is as exciting as reading a phone book, but is the commitment to improving overall quality being stressed at all levels? I would hate to see the Lexus, Infinity, Acura trio gain more ground.
i'm kinda leery too!..the "general" built a lot of "crap" over the years,and quite frankly,that IS the reason why they got into trouble financially...of course,NO ONE wants to admit to this,but you can bet THAT WAS the reason!..i'll figure i got a good one if i can get past the warranty with NO issues!..keepin' my fingers crossed!...just sayin!"
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote