Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Any TT builds with cutouts?

I had cutouts on my car last year with headers, cam, and maggie and I LOVED the cutouts.

This year, I'm putting a 427 LSX engine in the car with the IPS TT kit. I'm changing the exhaust to a 3", so I sold my cutouts with my old 2 1/2" exhaust.

So, the questions I have is, will the cutouts actually do me any good in a TT car? I know that the turbos act sort of like mufflers and the cutouts would have to go behind the turbos. So, I think most of the sound may be muffled before it gets a chance to reach the cutouts.

The new exhaust I bought is a 3" Borla S-type and I'd need to get 3" (obviously) cutouts for it. The Borla S-type is a fairly aggressive-sounding exhaust. So I'm not sure the cutouts will add much to that anyway.

I would love to be able to run cutouts again, but only if they'll make a noticeable difference in sound.

Are any of you folks running cutouts on a TT car? If so, what are your recommendations? Video clips would be very helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by Darth_Emma; 03-04-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I know that the turbos act sort of like mufflers and the cutouts would have to go behind the turbos. So, I think most of the sound will be muffled before it gets a chance to reach the turbos.
Don't you mean, "before it gets a chance to reach the MUFFLERS"? My son had a single turbo setup with no muffler. It wasn't near as loud as straight pipes without a turbo. It never really was quiet enough for my tastes at cruise though. You may like the constant exhaust noise though. I think you'll have plenty of exhaust note with cutouts between the turbos and mufflers. Especially at WOT. Dual mode exhausts are the bomb in my book. Quiet when you're not in the mood and screamin' when you are.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Don't you mean, "before it gets a chance to reach the MUFFLERS"? My son had a single turbo setup with no muffler. It wasn't near as loud as straight pipes without a turbo. It never really was quiet enough for my tastes at cruise though. You may like the constant exhaust noise though. I think you'll have plenty of exhaust note with cutouts between the turbos and mufflers. Especially at WOT. Dual mode exhausts are the bomb in my book. Quiet when you're not in the mood and screamin' when you are.
whoops, fixed.

I meant most of the sound will be muffled before it gets a chance to reach the cutouts (due to the turbos). Thanks for pointing out my typo.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
. Dual mode exhausts are the bomb in my book. Quiet when you're not in the mood and screamin' when you are.
I agree 100%

If you can get ZL1 mufflers, it would be great!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
I agree 100%
I agree too. I loved my cutouts on my car with headers and cam.

But my question is for anyone who actually has or has heard a TT car with cutouts. Does is actually make a noticeable difference in sound with the cutouts open?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Boostpatrol

Drives: 2009 G8 Gt Twin turbo
Turbo cars are quiet, i wouldnt waste the money on cutouts. They likely wouldnt make much of a benefit.
Boostpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
The few people I knew just ran the car without mufflers. Sounded very nice. You won't get much louder than that because like you said the turbo already acts as a muffler.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
My buddy has cutouts on his twin turbo g8. And it's noticeable.
blackonblacksls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I agree too. I loved my cutouts on my car with headers and cam.

But my question is for anyone who actually has or has heard a TT car with cutouts. Does is actually make a noticeable difference in sound with the cutouts open?
I have heard a TT with cutouts open and closed on a Corvette. It's VERY noticeable. Even in idle you can notice it as it opens.
Actually at WOT the sound is too harsh. Not only the sound is louder, you can also hear the spooling/spinning of the turbos more clearly. After a short time the owner took them out for some technical difficulties and put back the straight line and mufflers.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
I'm running straight pipes after the turbos with no cats and the car is pretty loud, i drive around all the time with that setup with not being bothered by law enforcement. I have put mufflers on it and the car is deathly quiet. Putting in an aftermarket cam in will make a big difference in sound though!

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
I'm running straight pipes after the turbos with no cats and the car is pretty loud, i drive around all the time with that setup with not being bothered by law enforcement. I have put mufflers on it and the car is deathly quiet. Putting in an aftermarket cam in will make a big difference in sound though!
We are putting a cam with a 427 LSX in it.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Emma,

You heard my car with stock engine and turbos. Car had no cats or mufflers in it. I think cut-offs are waiste of money on turbo set-up's.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
It does make a big diffrence. Like i said before if loud is what you want run open waste gates. If you want to here it just look up 2010 Camaro with 4l80e and open wastegates.
I had to run my car with only the turbos on it for a day and it was almost like when i had open headers.
carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
2K11SS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 11 Camaro SS LSX & 12 Corvette GS
Location: When you get to the middle of nowhere keep going I live past that
PM ITMerc. He has a 427 LSX with TT and cutouts. He should be able to give you some info.
2K11SS is offline   Reply With Quote