Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
On the market for a ZL1!

Hey everyone, I'm Dave. This is my first post but I've been reading these forums for a long time now...

Long story short, I had a 2008 H2 and it was stolen in March. Insurance was more than fair and since March I've been sitting on the money trying to figure out what I wanted... I went through many cars in my head... CTS, CTS-V, C6, wait to see the C7... I've concluded the ZL1 is exactly what I want. It has the tough look that the Hummer had but it's powerful as hell, which is what I liked about the Vette and the V.

I'm In Ontario, Canada and I'm still keeping my eyes open for one...

I'm a very performance and style kind of guy. I do like cosmetics, quite a bit.

Therefor, that brings me to my questions... Maybe it's because my Hummer had a lot of black plastic trim on the exterior and it was the only thing I hated... But I'm not a huge fan of the black plastic front splitter, rockers and rear diffusor on the ZL1. Obviously not a deal breaker, but I was wondering what my options were with that, aside from painting it.

Is the front splitter attached to the bottom plastic grille? Does anyone make CF splitters, diffusors and rockers for the ZL1?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate all the help.
BATMOB1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
dimitri

Drives: 06 M5/04 350Z
u want to buy my white 2012..under 300 miles on the clock.
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
Davie I was in Ontario the end of Aug. I'm the opposite of you. I like the flat black look over CF. However I have the raw CF insert and just got the Roto-Fab CF no-tune intake(with the no tune 10% crank pulley). Keep looking for CF pieces Davie. Most of what you want I would say could be covered in CF if not already avail.
firecross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Thanks! I did some digging and I have a plan for those pieces...

My only concern now is availability. I'm not going to lie and pretend I'm a Camaro guy who knows it all... I'm a Camaro noob but I know what I look for in a car and the ZL1 has it all.

For you guys that have way more knowledge, what is it like getting one? I know they are limited. Have they been spoken for?

I've been trying to convince myself the 2SS is a great second choice incase I can't get my hands on a Z but I dont know...

What do you 2SS owners think? I can't get the 1LE package because my girlfriend loves Camaros and she needs to be able to drive it... And, I like paddles
BATMOB1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie Dynamite View Post
Thanks! I did some digging and I have a plan for those pieces...

My only concern now is availability. I'm not going to lie and pretend I'm a Camaro guy who knows it all... I'm a Camaro noob but I know what I look for in a car and the ZL1 has it all.

For you guys that have way more knowledge, what is it like getting one? I know they are limited. Have they been spoken for?

I've been trying to convince myself the 2SS is a great second choice incase I can't get my hands on a Z but I dont know...

What do you 2SS owners think? I can't get the 1LE package because my girlfriend loves Camaros and she needs to be able to drive it... And, I like paddles
I guess it depends. I have owned both. Power, and handling are massively improved on the ZL1 vs a stock SS. That being said the SS is a strong car and I loved mine. If you are going to just cruise around town and never push the car a SS could be a good choice. If I was buying a Camaro automatic that was not a ZL1 I would do a SS2 RS with the NPP exhaust.

For me it was between the 1LE and the ZL1 but I wanted a manual.

Either way they are great cars that are fun to drive.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
KD Innovations

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2009 CTS-V
Mine is ready to be sold.
KD Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black, 2015 2LT/RS
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm Dave. This is my first post but I've been reading these forums for a long time now...

Long story short, I had a 2008 H2 and it was stolen in March. Insurance was more than fair and since March I've been sitting on the money trying to figure out what I wanted... I went through many cars in my head... CTS, CTS-V, C6, wait to see the C7... I've concluded the ZL1 is exactly what I want. It has the tough look that the Hummer had but it's powerful as hell, which is what I liked about the Vette and the V.

Therefor, that brings me to my questions... Maybe it's because my Hummer had a lot of black plastic trim on the exterior and it was the only thing I hated... But I'm not a huge fan of the black plastic front splitter, rockers and rear diffusor on the ZL1. Obviously not a deal breaker, but I was wondering what my options were with that, aside from painting it.

Is the front splitter attached to the bottom plastic grille? Does anyone make CF splitters, diffusors and rockers for the ZL1?

PM just sent.
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
c4maroboy
[HOONIGAN]

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1848[The HOONIGAN MOBILE]
i hated the plastic at first...but i think the contrast(i have a black zl1) works on the car well. Ive actually really grown to like it
Old 11-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:

Be aware, this car comes with SUMMER ONLY tires. You will only get to drive it 1/2 the year. Car gets real sideways without trying at ~40-50 degrees out.

If you want a year around car, perhaps a CTS-V isn't a bad choice, fyi.

I do really love mine regardless. next set of tires will be full year tires.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I was on a waiting list for a ZL1 coupe. Couldn't wait and really wanted a car so I went with a 2ss vert. No doubt the ZL1 would have been much more fun but I have no regrets

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
Be aware, this car comes with SUMMER ONLY tires. You will only get to drive it 1/2 the year. Car gets real sideways without trying at ~40-50 degrees out.

If you want a year around car, perhaps a CTS-V isn't a bad choice, fyi.

I do really love mine regardless. next set of tires will be full year tires.
I have to disagree with this comment. I have tracked mine a couple times now at high 40's low 50's and it was fine. Yes there was some noticeable spin/loss of traction vs. 80 degree temp, but I was still able to handle sweepers at 90mph+. Now if your talking extreme cold i.e. teens, 20's then yes. But 40's and up is just fine.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
I have to disagree with this comment. I have tracked mine a couple times now at high 40's low 50's and it was fine. Yes there was some noticeable spin/loss of traction vs. 80 degree temp, but I was still able to handle sweepers at 90mph+. Now if your talking extreme cold i.e. teens, 20's then yes. But 40's and up is just fine.
I've swayed the rear end around several corners from a stop sign, and definitely a slow start, like Chevy Cavalier slow.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote