Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
AGLAT

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS Vert M6 1LT
Camaro Convertible -- Designed to support a Hard Tonneau Cover ??

Based on the early pictures we've seen so far, the Camaro design team got many things right in the design of the forthcoming and much anticipated convertible models.

However, some of us have been waiting to find out if this new convertible would integrate a basic design element that has become the norm for all convertibles targeting the "middle aged businessman" group of buyers -- the integrated hard tonneau cover.

Convertibles are already considerably more expensive than their coupe counterparts, and serve a much narrower market niche. It just seems prudent (to me) to design the new Camaro convertible to appeal to the broadest possible range of buyers.

I might not feel so strongly about the need for an integrated hard tonneau cover if not for the fact that I currently have one on my 2002 BMW 330cic, and there is no way that I will buy another convertible without this feature.

After looking at the Camaro pictures a little longer, I have to wonder if the hard tonneau cover might be a future option, perhaps on the Z28 model at least? Take a look at the following pictures and you will see what I mean.

AGLAT
AGLAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I have been wondering the same thing about that seam around the top. The Camaro's convertible top is anchored below the sheet metal though, so if that style is in the future it will require a complete redesign of the rear section of the top, like the BMW or the C6 for that matter.
DaddySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
SS-Eric

Drives: 2012 Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to SS-Eric Send a message via Skype™ to SS-Eric
Thumbs up

The 2LT and 2SS both come w/ a hard foldable tonneau cover. It is an option on the 1LT and 1SS. Check out page 5
SS-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Eric View Post
The 2LT and 2SS both come w/ a hard foldable tonneau cover. It is an option on the 1LT and 1SS. Check out page 5
Thanks Eric, that's excellent detailed information. What we are referring to is the seam that runs around the top - it seems to have no purpose now and we are wondering if there might be future plans. As AGLAT points out - in my C6, it was great to stop at a light and put the top down with the hard tonneau automatically covering it in a matter of seconds. The folding tonneau is an improvement over the 4th gen, and lack of a hard tonneau wouldn't stop me from getting the vert, but it sure would be nice to have a an automatic hard tonneau.
DaddySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
kenredconvert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1Lt RS red convertable
it's been almost trwo years since the last post here. Does anyone have an update on if and when a fiberglass tonneau cover will be offered for the Gen 5 convertable?
kenredconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
I just sent a request to RK Sports since they had a Fiber Glass Tonneau Cover for the 4th Gen. I would like something that you don't have to worry about at all flying off like mine has once and almost again but that time I was doing 126 mph. But it came up on a V so had to pull off the road to fix it. Anybody know?????????? Michael in Virignia
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote