Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Mounting a bat in the trunk

I just got my ashen grey metallic paint matched aluminum 29" bat in the mail, and I've just been told that it may be illegal for me to use the Velcro mounts I bought to mount it in the trunk.

Is this true? Am I really not allowed to keep a bat for show/self defense locked away in my own property? Its a locked compartment...

I want to put it here

2016 1SS 6.2L LT1 Manual 6-Speed, Front Emblem Blackout, Rear Bowtie Delete, Side emblem delete, Phastek Side Marker Tint, GM Black Taillights, $23.57 of Premium Gas this morning

GAHDOOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't know why it would be a problem. You are allowed to keep an unloaded shot gun in your trunk, why would a bat be an issue. Just tell them it's a conversation piece.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHDOOSH View Post
I just got my ashen grey metallic paint matched aluminum 29" bat in the mail, and I've just been told that it may be illegal for me to use the Velcro mounts I bought to mount it in the trunk.

Is this true? Am I really not allowed to keep a bat for show/self defense locked away in my own property? Its a locked compartment...

I want to put it here
I have no idea, but if I lived in an area where I felt it necessary to carry a bat for self-defense, I would move! I can not imagine it is illegal. My friends that still play competitive softball carry bats and balls in their vehicles at all times. though I do not think they chose to display any of them. Best of luck!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I have never heard of a bat being illegal to have in your car. lol if you are ever asked about it, by a cop, tell them you play baseball...
Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I have no idea, but if I lived in an area where I felt it necessary to carry a bat for self-defense, I would move! I can not imagine it is illegal. My friends that still play competitive softball carry bats and balls in their vehicles at all times. though I do not think they chose to display any of them. Best of luck!
i'm not really sure, but I don't think any place on earth is immune to bad people.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
i'm not really sure, but I don't think any place on earth is immune to bad people.
I've lived all up and down the east coast, there's always somebody to ruin your day

2016 1SS 6.2L LT1 Manual 6-Speed, Front Emblem Blackout, Rear Bowtie Delete, Side emblem delete, Phastek Side Marker Tint, GM Black Taillights, $23.57 of Premium Gas this morning

Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 Dual Mode
I would be in deep poo poo most everyday, my son plays baseball and has at least two bats in the car all the time. Not the Camaro usually, maybe they are only illegal in Camaro's....lol

Hurst, Mojave Interior, 20% tint, Dual Mode Exhaust, ZL1 Splitter, ZL1 rockers, Blade spoiler, 3D Carbon rear quarter spats, CAI, Headers, M2W, catch can, apex scoop, LED DRL's, smoke side markers, billet aluminum SS emblems, Street Scene lower grill with scoops, BMR subframe connectors, lowering springs, bushings. Forgeline 20" w Nitto 315/275
HaulnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Call your local sheriffs office....they can tell you the letter of the law....my guess is you could carry it in the passenger compartment if your so inclined...you can carry a firearm in your car in florida .....it just needs to be a 2 step process to access it
hunter1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

I think its the paint and mount that is getting people to tell me its illegal.
Honestly, I paid way too much to paint match this thing to ever hit anything or anyone with it... it's for show.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHDOOSH View Post
I think its the paint and mount that is getting people to tell me its illegal.
Honestly, I paid way too much to paint match this thing to ever hit anything or anyone with it... it's for show.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

Just got off the phone with the sheriffs office, totally legal in South Carolina
I will post photos later in the day

Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
Call your local sheriffs office....they can tell you the letter of the law....my guess is you could carry it in the passenger compartment if your so inclined...you can carry a firearm in your car in florida .....it just needs to be a 2 step process to access it
Has to be in the trunk and not the cabin. I got caught with one in the cabin, and it can be classified the same as a billy and blackjack. It carries a 3rd degree felony, and can get you jail time and/or probation. My lawyer had it reduced to a misdemeanor, disorderly persons. It would also help to go hit a few balls with it, to proved it is used for playing ball and not cracking skulls.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
A bat? What are you in high school?

Hey and if so I usually had somethingn in my ride back then. Then I got to college and didn't give a crap. But if you're 21 and up get a pistol and a concealed weapon permit. Depending on the law in SC. I learned this, apparently SC isn't a reciprocal state with AL. So I don't know, maybe y'all s laws are messed up.

Last edited by 2012-1822; 07-30-2013 at 10:10 AM.
2012-1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
bb040

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS red jewl tintcoat
won't the bat crap all over the inside of you trunk.....lol