Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
What to do about waxing stripes? (using two waxes.)

So, I went to the store and picked up the Maguires NXT tech 2.0. The guy at the store recommended it and said many customers have come in and said they won't use anything else. I've also read good reviews about it. However, it says do not put on vinyl. I have matte black vinyl stripes so I also picked up some turtle ice polish for the stripes, I've read good reviews on that too.

My problem is... I don't know how to go about using them both. The directions for NXT tech 2.0 say do not get it on vinyl, while the directions on ICE say I should use it over the whole car, including vinyl. So here's what I was thinking...

Option 1. Put the ICE only on the stripes and then some will just get on the paint where ever it gets. Then the nxt tech on everything else? It would overlap around edge of the stripes if I did that though.

Option 2. I would just do the whole car in ICE and then do a coat of NXT tech 2.0. If I did that, would the protectant layer of ICE over the vinyl make it safe for my to coat nxt tech 2.0 over it?

Thanks for any help guys.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Ridindirty

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
So, I went to the store and picked up the Maguires NXT tech 2.0. The guy at the store recommended it and said many customers have come in and said they won't use anything else. I've also read good reviews about it. However, it says do not put on vinyl. I have matte black vinyl stripes so I also picked up some turtle ice polish for the stripes, I've read good reviews on that too.

My problem is... I don't know how to go about using them both. The directions for NXT tech 2.0 say do not get it on vinyl, while the directions on ICE say I should use it over the whole car, including vinyl. So here's what I was thinking...

Option 1. Put the ICE only on the stripes and then some will just get on the paint where ever it gets. Then the nxt tech on everything else? It would overlap around edge of the stripes if I did that though.

Option 2. I would just do the whole car in ICE and then do a coat of NXT tech 2.0. If I did that, would the protectant layer of ICE over the vinyl make it safe for my to coat nxt tech 2.0 over it?

Thanks for any help guys.
According to Junkman you should use painters tape to tape off the stripe when you are applying the wax to avoid getting any wax on the stripe. He also recommended Adam's Clear Polish for the vinyl stripe and didn't mention anything about the polish harming the paint.
Ridindirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'd do option one. When you go back with the NXT, tape the edges of the stripes using blue painters tape to give yourself some extra room.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i use all kind of products.i was using nxt on the car and ice on the stripes.two weeks ago i just used ice on the whole car and i loved it.i am not promoting any product and saying one is better than the other,but for me the ice is great because you can use it on anything and it does not leave any wax marks on your car.i show my car every week and the ice is just so easy to use.last week 8 judges looked at my car and i got a perfect score.i think i will continue to use the ice.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote