Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Unhappy Launched the car and driveshaft broke!!!

Hey everyone!!! Well yesterday i took my car to the 1/8 mile drag strip and well here it is... I just did alot of suspension work to my car everything except lowering the car because i have a very steep driveway at home. So yesterday i took my car to the track and i lowered my tire pressure to 28psi (street tires) pulled up to the line and did a burnout! once i stagged i launched the car a little too hard... had wheel hop and boom!!! (not loud but i knew i broke something) after the boom my shifter went off to the side a bit and was shaking like crazy!!! It all happen at the launch!! ( launched, wheel hop,boom, shifter went off to the side a bit and was shaking) When i tryed to put it into gear i felt like the driveshaft had broke because as i did that it felt like something kept going in circles (like the driveshaft) and it went clack, clack, clack, clack so i turned off the car!!!:(. So I called a tow truck to tow me home. The guys at the track gave me some bolts and nuts that broke off my car. i went under the car and noticed that the bolts that connect the driveshaft to the tailshaft of the transmission were the ones that broke off! That was the only thing i could see wrong because my car is too low and still havent had the chance to look under. When i put the car in gear it still rolled. I will be replacing the bolts i broke off, cleaning off the tires and the chunks of burned rubber. Then i will take it to the dealer and let them know that my car has been having a vibration coming from the shifter area and when i checked it it was missing two bolts that connect the tail and driveshafts so i replaced them so i could be able to take the car to the dealer so it can get checked out buy them!!! what do u guys think might be wrong besides that?? why is my shifter off to the side a bit? why does my car still roll in gear? is that a good story to tell dealership!?? of course i wasnt gonna tell them i was racing it!!! Any ideas or suggestions??:(: popcorn:
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Honestly be honest cause they will figure it out. You dont need to say you were at the track but do say that you launched the car and it went kaboom. its a common enough problem and they understand that the rear end is not as sturdy as it probably should.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Ya my dealer told me all about the launch capabilities of our cars. If it does go kaboom I don't think he will hold it against me since he was the one explaining what these cars can do. These are things they expect people to do.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Yeah, I wouldn't mention the "drag strip", but don't try to BS them with what you did. It's a "performance" car....you did a "performance" launch, and it broke....they shouldn't have any problems with that.

Edit: I take that back, I just saw all your suspension mods in your sig....you might be on your own. I wouldn't doubt if the dealership tries to attribute whatever happened to all your suspension mods.

Last edited by blazzin1; 11-04-2011 at 01:42 PM.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
BAWLZ SS

Yup true i guess. Any ideas on what i might have broken? All i know i broke up to know is two bolts that conneect the driveshaft to the transmission. Havent gone under the car to inspect any further damage. I hope thats it!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
Old 11-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
GL and hope the dealer doesnt give you the shaft on this one.

No pun intended.

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
Yup true i guess. Any ideas on what i might have broken? All i know i broke up to know is two bolts that conneect the driveshaft to the transmission. Havent gone under the car to inspect any further damage. I hope thats it!
might be something with the 2piece driveshaft, the cradle bearing i think is what its called cant remember but i dont really know why the shifer is to the side that sounds like tranny problems
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
internal problems
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't mention the "drag strip", but don't try to BS them with what you did. It's a "performance" car....you did a "performance" launch, and it broke....they shouldn't have any problems with that.

Edit: I take that back, I just saw all your suspension mods in your sig....you might be on your own. I wouldn't doubt if the dealership tries to attribute whatever happened to all your suspension mods.
I agree with maybe not using the words "drag strip" and being honest. With the suspension mods, the dealer may try to not cover any of it. Just explain that the mod's shouldn't have anything to do with the drive shaft. Good luck, keep us posted.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Replace teh bolts and hopefully you're good to go. I've got a stock DS laying around here...
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
I posted on your other thread, it may not be your driveshaft, you may have broken your output shaft in the transmission, it is a known problem to GM. It happened to the first 25,000 2010 SS with the 6060 trans, last 5 digits in the vin will tell you what # your car is, I'm in this group too.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121986
Old 11-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
I noticed you stated you burned out on street tires. Did you run through the waterbox? If so you really shouldn't. Street tires do not burn all the water off the tires. You carry it to the line with you. A: It can cause launch issues B: You can also get wheel hop from this causing a failure.

Hope it isn't bad and gets fixed quick for ya.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
BAWLZ SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
I noticed you stated you burned out on street tires. Did you run through the waterbox? If so you really shouldn't. Street tires do not burn all the water off the tires. You carry it to the line with you. A: It can cause launch issues B: You can also get wheel hop from this causing a failure.

Hope it isn't bad and gets fixed quick for ya.
Yeah i did go through the water when i did the burnout. Track was real sticky and with the lower tire pressure, drag alingment and suspension work i still got wheel hop and the broke!!! Will keep that in mind for next time:(
Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
BAWLZ SS

Hey guys i went under the car yesterday and took a look. I broke 3 bolts and bent another 3 that are still on that black rubber piece that connects the tranny and driveshaft which is kinda messed up too! Also the shaft at the end of the tranny has minor damage! My trans mount looks good so i still need to figure out where some other piece of metal broke off of and why my shifter is off to the side. Will keep u guys posted!