Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #155
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
What Kilo-9 said. Just in case this is all new to you, it was to me when I first started this project. I didn't know much about "thread, pitch and how to measure.... so just in case..... Bolts have three measurements. "Diameter", either standard or metric. All the bolts I've replace are metric. "Pitch", thats the number of threads per millimeter and "Length".

You can go to Home D, Ace, etc. By the way, I love Ace! They'll have a board with sockets (see pic below), all you do is screw your bolt to the appropriate socket, this will tell you the diameter and pitch. Example: 6MM X 1.5. ( 6MM is the diameter and the 1.5 is the pitch. On the board, it also has were you can measure for length. To determine the length, you want to measure from the bottom of the head to the tip. So you might have a bolt thats 6MM X 1.5 by 30 MM. Next you can call ARP and have them give you a parts number for that size bolt. With the parts number, I call Summit and get a price. They sell individual and packs of five. If you need three of the same, it might be cheaper to buy the five pack. One thing I like about Summit is that if you have to return something, they include a postage paid return label with each of their orders.

Also, you have the two types of heads, Hex and 12 points, every bolt I've gotten have been 12 points. I think they look nicer.

Hope that helps

Oh, thanks for the compliment. It makes taking the time to post on here gratifying. I appreciate that.

Thanks for taking the time to get me started! Hmm...one of those boards would be awesome hanging in my garage! JK. I do see that you can buy bolt sizing gauges. Might invest in that.

You have inspired me to get started on mine. KILO-9 ... would love to see detailed pics of your work. Do you have these anywhere? I searched.

I spent all day yesterday on the passenger side engine wire harness. I'm close to finishing it and then I'll start on the driver's side. I'll post pics when I am done with the first side. Just sayin...lots of cutting, soldering, and heat-shrinking. I bought the new holley LS valve covers over a month ago that angle the coils. I'll paint up the coil packs later (don't want to scratch them while I'm still doing everything else.) I wish I would have seen the relocation first. Oh well, maybe later.

Also KILO-9...about your LSR strut tower caps...Is there something special required to get them to work with the pedders? I thought that I read somewhere that they had to fabricate a tool or something, but I can't find it again.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #156
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

So I'm looking at relocating the evac solenoid. I'll need a new line from the evac line coming from the tank, and I'll need a new line going to the throttle body, or in my case the supercharger. What did you guys use as far as tubing and fittings? I'm going with the braided covering and want to use black anodized clamps/fittings where possible. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #157
Black1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 Speed
Thanks for all the detailed pics and explanations. It is taking you more time to do this project because of you stopping to ttake pics and writing down your steps here.
Just so you know, we really appreciate the time you have spent to try and help us out. Thank you for everything.
Black1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #158
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1SS View Post
Thanks for all the detailed pics and explanations. It is taking you more time to do this project because of you stopping to ttake pics and writing down your steps here.
Just so you know, we really appreciate the time you have spent to try and help us out. Thank you for everything.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #159
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Definitely a big thanks for doing this thread!

Here is what I did yesterday and finished this morning. The driver's side is still left to do. I have cut and spliced/soldered every wire, used shrink tubing and braided sheathing.

Still need to relocate evac solenoid, paint coil packs, and get new coil pack bolts.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #160
The Stig

looks really good
Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #161
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
looks great....

any chance you have a list of what it would take to reproduce the water line set-up you have in this pics
Attached Images

Last edited by bmbbl be; 01-22-2012 at 06:16 PM.
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #162
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
wow
Old 01-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #163
Black1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 Speed
Looks great
Black1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #164
The Stig

Looking awesome Nathan, question. Whose valve covers are those? I feel like you've already posted this but not sure.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #165
RocTrux

Drives: Summit White 2011 2SS/RS
MTI makes one to..heres a link.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...olant-line.htm
Old 01-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #166
2010abmss

Drives: 2010 ABM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
$300 is absurd
I also perfected powder coating plastic intakes I was in the coating business for 13 years I only charged $175 they are extremely easy to coat but my company grew too big so I really don't do too many car parts anymore
Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #167
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
572HP, nothing special is required to install the LSR strut tower caps with the Pedders. Just swap the rubber ring over from the stock plates and install them as normal. You just can't use the little center caps because of the adjustment knobs.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #168
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtNMyTeeth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
wow
Quote:
Looks great
Thanks again guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Thanks for taking the time to get me started! Hmm...one of those boards would be awesome hanging in my garage! JK. I do see that you can buy bolt sizing gauges. Might invest in that.

You have inspired me to get started on mine. KILO-9 ... would love to see detailed pics of your work. Do you have these anywhere? I searched.

I spent all day yesterday on the passenger side engine wire harness. I'm close to finishing it and then I'll start on the driver's side. I'll post pics when I am done with the first side. Just sayin...lots of cutting, soldering, and heat-shrinking. I bought the new holley LS valve covers over a month ago that angle the coils. I'll paint up the coil packs later (don't want to scratch them while I'm still doing everything else.) I wish I would have seen the relocation first. Oh well, maybe later.

Also KILO-9...about your LSR strut tower caps...Is there something special required to get them to work with the pedders? I thought that I read somewhere that they had to fabricate a tool or something, but I can't find it again.
Shes going to look awesome when your done.

Quote:
Thanks for all the detailed pics and explanations. It is taking you more time to do this project because of you stopping to take pics and writing down your steps here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
My way of paying it forward for all the help I've recieved here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Looking awesome Nathan, question. Whose valve covers are those? I feel like you've already posted this but not sure.
Steiger, they are Katech, design mainly for racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010abmss View Post
I also perfected powder coating plastic intakes I was in the coating business for 13 years I only charged $175 they are extremely easy to coat but my company grew too big so I really don't do too many car parts anymore
Mike only charges $200, not $300.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote