Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #29
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit_SS View Post
well funny you mention that because GPI is the shop that i am talking about. i keep hearing good things about them. the price just seems over the top
They quoted me $6,000 to cam my l99. Seems very high. Was actually $1,300 higher than one of the quotes i received.

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #30
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I did mine myself, including heads, dod delete and sc. Got my cam and heads from GPI. Something to consider...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #31
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
I did mine myself, including heads, dod delete and sc. Got my cam and heads from GPI. Something to consider...

-Don
Yeah but you're just a freak of nature

I'm already nervous enough to cam my vehicle because of the possibility of a failure is high if the install and tune isn't done right.

I mean you could always make the case with any mod. But with LT Headers + Cold Air Intake you really CAN'T go wrong lol.

With a cam, you're looking at destroying an entire motor because you suck at life.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #32
MRREVINTO7

Drives: 14 1Le --14 chevy ss sedan 07shelby
I bought complete vengeance racing cam kit everything from oil pump c5 r timing set push rods btr springs cam gaskets trunion upgrade 1400 ...install 1500
MRREVINTO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #33
Summit_SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRREVINTO7 View Post
I bought complete vengeance racing cam kit everything from oil pump c5 r timing set push rods btr springs cam gaskets trunion upgrade 1400 ...install 1500
did that install include the tune?
Summit_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #34
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Some shops will not install customer supplied parts. I do but add $25 to the hourly labor rate for each hour.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #35
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
Some shops will not install customer supplied parts. I do but add $25 to the hourly labor rate for each hour.
I bought some of my own parts, but had them drop shipped to the installer from the supplier. There was no increase in install costs for this, but it also ensures standard quality and fitment of parts.

I can understand a markup in some cases, customer bringing in used parts causing fitment issues, leads to delay in install and headaches etc.

If you mark up install costs just because you did not make money on selling the part(s)(I am not saying you do, mean this in general), that is not being very transparent with your pricing and services.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #36
LSX Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I bought some of my own parts, but had them drop shipped to the installer from the supplier. There was no increase in install costs for this, but it also ensures standard quality and fitment of parts.

I can understand a markup in some cases, customer bringing in used parts causing fitment issues, leads to delay in install and headaches etc.

If you mark up install costs just because you did not make money on selling the part(s)(I am not saying you do, mean this in general), that is not being very transparent with your pricing and services.
It's actually very transparent. Try this, make a reservation at a nice restaurant. Bring in your own bottle of wine and steak and tell the waiter how you want it all done. Let me know what they say.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
Old 05-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #37
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
It's actually very transparent. Try this, make a reservation at a nice restaurant. Bring in your own bottle of wine and steak and tell the waiter how you want it all done. Let me know what they say.
I see your point. Since I do all my own work, Ive always looked at parts(and their markup) separate from labor, since I rarely pay for labor anywhere.

I could see some shops quoting their labor for a job based on the assumption they will also get some $$ for the parts. Especially when they could be doing the exact same job on someone else's car who bought parts from them, and make a few hundred dollars more.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #38
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit_SS View Post
ya i would just do it myself but i have never done a cam swap before. its not my daily so it would be fine if it was out of commission for a while also. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but i work on aircraft not cars. i just think id rather have it done by a pro.
If you are an aircraft mechanic, organized, and fairly intelligent, you can do this yourself.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #39
Summit_SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
If you are an aircraft mechanic, organized, and fairly intelligent, you can do this yourself.
I read through the DIY on here last night and yes I'm sure i could figure it out. My dilemma now is whether or not retaining the power train warranty is worth the money to take it to GPI. Since they say that they will warranty their work and the parts they install (I'm sure as long as they are purchased through them) as well as retain the cars power train warranty.
Summit_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #40
Dmpsix

Quote:
Yeah that's definitely not the right comparison at all. The purpose of going to a Restaurant is to eat THEIR food. That is the sole purpose, you don't even have to enjoy it or have fun while you do it, as long as you purchase their food and eat it, then the restaurant has done their main job.

Now when it comes to custom shops, the purpose of these said shops is INSTALLING parts. It doesn't have to be a specific part unless you're dealing with someone like Hennessey or Ligenfelter, then of course you'd look stupid trying to bring in your own parts or a rival competitor to have the work done.

I brought Kooks Long Tube Headers into a local shop here in SATX... they didn't care what brand it was, they went ahead and did it.

Now if a shop tries to give you some BS saying "Oh... well we can't install that part because we didn't buy it" is complete BS.

Personally as a consumer, it gives me a bad vibe and I wouldn't do business with them.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:49 PM   #41
LSX Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Yeah that's definitely not the right comparison at all. The purpose of going to a Restaurant is to eat THEIR food. That is the sole purpose, you don't even have to enjoy it or have fun while you do it, as long as you purchase their food and eat it, then the restaurant has done their main job.

Now when it comes to custom shops, the purpose of these said shops is INSTALLING parts. It doesn't have to be a specific part unless you're dealing with someone like Hennessey or Ligenfelter, then of course you'd look stupid trying to bring in your own parts or a rival competitor to have the work done.

I brought Kooks Long Tube Headers into a local shop here in SATX... they didn't care what brand it was, they went ahead and did it.

Now if a shop tries to give you some BS saying "Oh... well we can't install that part because we didn't buy it" is complete BS.

Personally as a consumer, it gives me a bad vibe and I wouldn't do business with them.
Sorry, you just don't get it.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #42
Dmpsix

Quote:
Sorry, you just don't get it.
I get what you're saying. Shops have every right to turn down aftermarket parts they're not familiar with or that they personally don't deal with. I get that.

But it's the shops that say "Of course you can bring your own parts in, me and my guys will take this project on and try our best!" that make it easier for someone like me to choose.