Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Lmao, you can make this the BIGGEST sticky and you'll get another 2,567,12...4! Threads started by next June!! Lol

And 2,567,125 threads for The best long tubes AND...."Will adding longtubes void my warranty" or "will I get a cel light after Lt's" lol
so true.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
great thread! nice write up Chase!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Very nice.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Sticky this please! Great write up and its great that you added Mr jannetty's testing. For the love of baby Jesus sticky this please.
Thanks. Ted did some great work and that information is important to a lot of people when they are looking for an intake. A sticky would be awesome but even if that doesn't happen at least there is a thread to direct people to for information.

If anyone can think of any other good links that should be added just post them and I'll add them.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
Thank you so much!!! This is the first thing I'm doing after my warranty expires and I've been wondering how to figure out which to go with. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyg1rl View Post
Thank you so much!!! This is the first thing I'm doing after my warranty expires and I've been wondering how to figure out which to go with. Thank you!
Why wait?

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #19
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Why wait?
An air intake will not impact your warranty.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:

I wouldn't worry much about a cold air induction system and your warranty. I've had my car in a few times for powertrain warranty work. I had headers, aftermarket air intake, catch can, and a couple of other things. Each time warranty worked was performed without question. Reason? Nothing added could reasonably been attributed to my mods.

As far as which to choose, good luck. The tests showed numbers that would be useful if you were driving your car...on a DYNO. After trying the top two in that testing, and not being satisified, I took desirable parts from three manufacturers and did this. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=17

Not every intake is going to fit everyones needs. My car is a high mileage daily driver and during the summer it gets pretty hot here. You can imagine what underhood temps, while driving in town, are like. The intake, so far, that I like the most for my needs wasn't even tested. Just to note it wasn't the fault of the tester that it isn't shown on the spreadsheet.

For most people, if you buy an intake you'll probably be perfectly happy with it, no matter the brand.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 12-21-2012 at 07:35 AM.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Why wait?

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
+1, a CAI will have no impact on your vehicles factory warranty, so enjoy the benefits of a CAI now! If you have any questions at all feel free to contact us, we would be more than happy to help you!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I have a feeling we may have been duped into another Docu-mmercial thread j/k.

Chase - I know you are trying to keep it strictly informative.

Watch for the product placement cameos.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #23
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
What makes a MAF sensor "weak" or "strong"?

The simple explanation is that "weak" sensors are not showing the same resistance levels as the "strong" sensors. The MAF sensors that have been identified as "weak" read 1560-1670HZ at idle with the A/C off while a "strong" MAF reads at 1800MHZ. During on road, light throttle input the MHZ are slow and weak in response to throttle changes which is what causes the hesitation and throttle lag. At wide open throttle the "weak" MAF shows 120-170MHZ lower than the 8600MHZ the "strong" MAF sensors will show on the same car. Depending on what intake modifications are made the fuel trim with a "weak" MAF can range from -25% on the high end to -3% with just a simple aftermarket panel replacement filter. Pull the "weak" sensor and install a "strong" sensor and within seconds fuel trim is back to 0% and MHZ are back to 1800+. This will instantly change the personality of a car as was demonstrated in this post on Camaro5.com.

How can I tell if my MAF is "weak" or "strong"?

It is very simple. Remove the MAF sensor from your intake tube and take a look at the code inside the indented window. Any single letter MAF is "weak" and any MAF that features a letter followed by a number like the one in the picture below is "strong".

Setting things straight

There are two points of confusion that seem to constantly come up when this topic is discussed:

1) This is a hardware issue with the MAF sensor and not a tune issue. The "weak" MAF needs to be replaced and the issue can not be corrected with a tune.

2) The "weak" sensors function just fine and are within OEM tolerances when the car remains in the stock configuration. Once additional air flow is introduced due to modifications is when problems arise. Because of that it is not something that GM will replace under warranty.
I've never had the occasion to look for any letter/number in that indented area and can't do so now but will later. IF it turns out I have a "weak" one is there a p/n to reference when trying to insure a replacement will be a "strong" one?
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #24
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
I've never had the occasion to look for any letter/number in that indented area and can't do so now but will later. IF it turns out I have a "weak" one is there a p/n to reference when trying to insure a replacement will be a "strong" one?
We have several vendors that can sell you a OEM MAF that's doesn't have the "weak" number. Unless i'm mistaken, they are pretty much the same price as what the dealer charges.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #25
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
STICKY AT ONCE!!!!!!!
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
this is hogwash...best air intake is a blower. LOL
Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #27
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Hey Chase, nice write up! I have to say that not all cai's are equal (or engines). It took me 4 tries before I found one that I was happy with, and it was (like Indeedss1) not one of the ones that was tested by Ted! Many ppl are happy with brand x or brand y and some not. I think it all depends on the set-up you have, minor characteristics of you engine, and personnal preference. Some like an engine with top end power, others like low end torque. Some like a cai that will deliver driveability over top end and others just the opposite! So, you roll the dice and try what you think best fits your set-up and hope it performs, if not try another!

Chase, you did a great job here explaining the different types of intakes and their respective pros and cons! It will defenatly help anyone who is struggling with deciding which way to go! Good job!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #28
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
We have several vendors that can sell you a OEM MAF that's doesn't have the "weak" number. Unless i'm mistaken, they are pretty much the same price as what the dealer charges.
Give us a shout and we can get you squared away.

Tags
air intake, apex motorsports, best air intake, cai