Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #337
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
So how are the turbos? Power down low? Turbo lag? I'd imagine big v8 have no problem spooling them
Really this is an open ended question? Which turbos? Which housings? What motor/cam/compression? Tune? All that will affect lag/spool/downlow power. Stock motor, s251s spool almost too quick. Tires shredding 700+ft/lbs crazy low end fun. Add bigger a/r housings or step up to the s256s and you will get a bit more lag and a lot more top end ability. Then again the 51s support 900+.

51, 56, 61mm with a variety of housings are available. I'm sure Kevin/Ben could even do something more exotic if a customer wanted to pay the difference (billet compressor dual ball bearing, etc).
Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #338
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adadda View Post
I will stick by my statements,, and I never said it cant be done, I said the 6L80 cant hold any real Power. maybe we have different ideas of what power is ?
Enough power to get a 4300 lb car in the 9s.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #339
Unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
I have no desire to swap transmissions or put a cage in my car. My 417 is 10.3:1 and will run on pump gas, with meth as a possible safety measure. However much boost and timing I can run on pump gas will determine how much power it makes. There are several CTS-Vs in the 9's on stock transmissions. It can be done.
Caddys use 6L90s, not 6L80s so saying caddys can do it doesn't really apply. The 90 is noticeably stronger.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #340
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Caddys use 6L90s, not 6L80s so saying caddys can do it doesn't really apply. The 90 is noticeably stronger.
this
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #341
Adadda

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS. L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
Enough power to get a 4300 lb car in the 9s.

again not saying it cant be done but let me know how long the 6L80 last at the track with over 800rwhp i dont mean 1 or 2 passes beat on and it wont last half a season and thats a long shot ..the 400 is a simple easy swap . can handle 1500 hp all day and drives on the street fine. The good thing about the AGP kit is you are covered, no matter how mild or wild you wanna get this kit can do it
Adadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #342
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
I really like this setup.. but I hate that I would lose my LT Headers to only put Stock manifolds back on.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #343
Unreal

Quote:
again not saying it cant be done but let me know how long the 6L80 last at the track with over 800rwhp i dont mean 1 or 2 passes beat on and it wont last half a season and thats a long shot ..the 400 is a simple easy swap . can handle 1500 hp all day and drives on the street fine. The good thing about the AGP kit is you are covered, no matter how mild or wild you wanna get this kit can do it

Well, if someone wanted to make 450hp then that maybe too mild for it. But 550-1300rwhp, no problem.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #344
Adadda

Quote:
Well, if someone wanted to make 450hp then that maybe too mild for it. But 550-1300rwhp, no problem.
pretty sure someone that only wanted to make 450hp wouldnt spent the coin to buy a turbo kit anyway , dont know what your point is .as I was referring to the post about the 6L80
Old 08-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #345
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
this
What are the actual differences between the 80 and 90? Could an 80 be rebuilt to a 90?

Quote:
I'm not drag racer, so I have no need for it to last a season. I need it to last long enough for me to run a 9.99999 or better, then I'm done. I want to be able to turn the boost down and let my wife drive the car around town, or go on a road trip and still get decent highway mpg. Set the cruise control at 70-75 and get low to mid 20's. Need 6th gear to do that.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #346
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
I really like this setup.. but I hate that I would lose my LT Headers to only put Stock manifolds back on.
It just makes sense to run headers, I wonder if short tube headers would work. Reduce weight, decipate heat faster, and more flow.

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #347
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDM View Post
It just makes sense to run headers, I wonder if short tube headers would work. Reduce weight, decipate heat faster, and more flow.
With turbos, you don't want to dissipate too much heat. The stock LS3 manifolds flow very well.

That being said, you can use custom shorty headers but I am not sure the cost to benefit ratio would be worth it. I don't know if any off the shelf shorty headers will work. Unless you are going for a true max effort turbo build, stock manifolds are more than sufficient for 99.9% of the turbo builds on here.

You could always use your manifolds and then, if you aren't happy with the results, invest in a set of shorties.

I would think that AGP would offer an option of shorties if they thought it was worth it but again, they aren't necessarily marketing this towards the hardcore, every HP must be maximized, every thousandth counts crowd.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #348
Adadda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDM View Post

Not on a turbo car
Old 08-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #349
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
With turbos, you don't want to dissipate too much heat. The stock LS3 manifolds flow very well.

That being said, you can use custom shorty headers but I am not sure the cost to benefit ratio would be worth it. I don't know if any off the shelf shorty headers will work. Unless you are going for a true max effort turbo build, stock manifolds are more than sufficient for 99.9% of the turbo builds on here.

You could always use your manifolds and then, if you aren't happy with the results, invest in a set of shorties.

I would think that AGP would offer an option of shorties if they thought it was worth it but again, they aren't necessarily marketing this towards the hardcore, every HP must be maximized, every thousandth counts crowd.
Thanks Blake, makes sense. I know guys a lot smarter than me have tried and tested all the options.

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #350
Unreal

No reason a shortie wouldn't bolt on, I just wouldn't recommend it. Stock manifolds work great, are reliable, fit great, nice heat shielding, etc. If you get to the 1200+range and decide you want to try for more, then maybe you can swap to a ARH shortie.