Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
nickspohn

Drives: 2002 Camaro
Corvette is winning in the battle for me...

Well, I came to this site planning i would get the new Camaro, but for the price and the power I want, I'm going for the corvette now. Then again, I'm not 100% positive. For the money, the camaro is just too much for what i can get of a corvette.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the new Camaro. I have an 02 Camaro myself. But I am a GM fan, and respect and love all Chevy cars.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
We need both a Camaro and a Corvette.

For me, the timing will tell which gets purchased first.

There truly never has been a better time for Vette pricing.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
hey, doesnt hurt my feelings at all if you buy a more expensive car from GM...it makes them more money and helps them stay around
Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
yup. agree with punter.

we've had this discussion (other threads) a few times before.

you cant go wrong with either.

but -- what flavor of vette? new? color? options?

either way you decide, buy something new off the showroom floor. GM needs you to.

If I had some liquidity I already would have bought something like a Cobalt SS to tide me over until I can put my butt in the seat of a new Camaro.

BTW- not many people realize just how well-built, performing, and handling the Cobalt SS is -- it just might be the best sleeper of a mid-priced car in the last 5 or more years.

No kidding.....

kudos to GM on that one. Never saw it coming. it surprised a lot of car nuts lately. (guess that was the whole point).
Old 11-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i actually was planning to get a C5 'til i heard the Camaro got the go-ahead for production. now i've decided to wait a little longer, save more money, & get a new car that's better in most areas
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
The camaro will turn heads on the road for at least a year. The corvettes are in need of a re-design for that since you them everywhere... And the Camaro will have similar power to the base Vette for much less in price stock, and you can make the Camaro as fast with aftermarket upgrades.. More fun in my opinion overall..Camaro should be more comfortable inside as well if it will be a daily driver..
Old 11-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #7
nickspohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
The camaro will turn heads on the road for at least a year. The corvettes are in need of a re-design for that since you them everywhere... And the Camaro will have similar power to the base Vette for much less in price stock, and you can make the Camaro as fast with aftermarket upgrades.. More fun in my opinion overall..Camaro should be more comfortable inside as well if it will be a daily driver..
I don't agree with this. The new camaro will turns heads for about a year, but for it's price, the camaro is the car you will see everywhere eventually. Most corvette owners will say it's just like the mustang. I don't see corvettes everywhere. New corvettes start out almost double the price than the new Camaro (comparing the lowest camaro and the lowest vette).

I still love the camaro though, but if you look at it this way, a 2004 z06 corvette would beat the new top camaro easily, for about $7k cheaper.

I won't get a camaro for it's speed, unless i mod the heck out of it. It's going to sound better than a vette hands down, and have a bigger interior. That is the one thing i am worried about with the corvette, as of course the camaro has 4 seats.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #8
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspohn View Post
I won't get a camaro for it's speed, unless i mod the heck out of it. It's going to sound better than a vette hands down, and have a bigger interior. That is the one thing i am worried about with the corvette, as of course the camaro has 4 seats.
why else do you buy a muscle car? mod or collect. after going from an explorer that i've hauled 10 people in to my regular cab truck, the extra seats are something i really miss. that's another reason i decided on the camaro
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
As long as your staying in the "GM family", you're allowed to consider a Vette.

I'm personally a "Camaro Man", but my brother owns a C6, and I love that car!

I don't think you can go wrong with either car...they're both awesome.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #10
nickspohn

that's true, and either one i get I will mod to an extent.

And yes, I'll always be in the GM family. My whole family is GM, except my Aunt who drives an Explorer still, UGH.

1964 Stringray Corvette
1969 Camaro w/ 890HP engine
4 (Yes, 4) 1969 Novas. Green, Maroon, Orange, Black. 3 are dragsters
couple 3rd gen camaros.
my 2002 camaro.
I'm sure there are others, but that is just the close family. I'm not old enough to have a history of my own cars.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspohn View Post
I don't agree with this. The new camaro will turns heads for about a year, but for it's price, the camaro is the car you will see everywhere eventually. Most corvette owners will say it's just like the mustang. I don't see corvettes everywhere. New corvettes start out almost double the price than the new Camaro (comparing the lowest camaro and the lowest vette).

I still love the camaro though, but if you look at it this way, a 2004 z06 corvette would beat the new top camaro easily, for about $7k cheaper.

I live in Miami and I see dozens of Corvette's everyday while driving to grocery store. I also see dozens of Mustangs and 350z's as well. I've seen one Challenger but that is expected since the SRT8 has had a markup of about $10,000 over MSRP sticker price which has kept sales low after the initial enthusiasts pre-ordered in the same way most of us on this forum did for the Camaro, at MSRP and nothing more..

The Camaro is going to take some time to saturate the roads, that is why I said a year of turning heads, maybe two years depending on how fast it sells. The corvette doesn't turn heads because the design hasn't changed much. However it will if they update the body like this below.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #12
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
That looks like a freakin' Saturn Sky on steriods.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
Sharpe

Drives: White/White '99 Z28 M6 Y3F
^Agreed big time. That concept looks terrible. Gah.
Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #14
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
I wouldn't want a Corvette if I couldn't afford the top of the line model.

With the Camaro I'll have the best I can get.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote