Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
RubyCamaro origins & the journey continues

Okay, I pushed some of my clubmates into starting their journals and now some of them are pushing me. I just never thought Ruby was really the sort of show or performance machine worthy of a build thread. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissin' Ruby, I love her, but I am not delusional either. My finances don't allow me to put the mods into her that I'd love to. But Slowly I will get it done.

First, It is necessicary to recall how I ended up with a Camaro at all. I have posted that story before but I will repost it here.

I was looking for a new car as my 2002 Intrepid had 130,000 mi on it. We had looked at a lot of different makes/models of cars & test drove many, but I didn’t like anything I had seen. Then one day my husband, Mike, drove home a Crossfire he had bought just for a toy without talking to me first. I was livid & said “Okay, it is on! I’m getting whatever I want now”. I took a day off determined to test drive everything I ever thought I wanted. My brother-in-law had suggested I should get a Camaro. I was not taken with the initial pics I saw of it. I just thought it looked angry. I drove lot of cars that day including the Camaro. When I drove the Camaro I immediately got this OMG feeling & the permagrin set in. That evening Mike asked me about each car & I told him my likes/dislikes of each. When I talked about the Camaro I was excited & Mike said I just lit up. He said he could tell that if I got anything else I was not going to be happy. I was mad at the sales chick at our local dealership because of the way she treated me. The following Saturday we drove to another dealership where on-line they had one in the color I wanted (the only thing I knew from day 1 I wanted in a new car was the color). It was gone but the dealer was desperate to sell something as interstate construction was taking a big bite out of their sales. The salesguy sat me down with a computer & went through every option asking me exactly what I wanted. They found me one exactly like I wanted & gave me a killer deal so I bought it. They had to go to Michigan to get it. Thursday afternoon I drove Ruby home & have been in love with it ever since.
First a pic of me when I bought Ruby. Then one of the Crossfire that was the reason I got her.

Current mod list:

1) GM body color quarter flares (mud guards)
2) Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
3) Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can
4) Borla Exhaust
5) Convex blind spot mirrors – both sides
6) Drake Muscle Car Machined fluid caps
7) Drake Muscle Car strut tower covers
8) Drake Muscle Car Chrome Camaro door sill plates
9) Camaro license plate frame
10) locking license plate fasteners
11) Huper Optic Nano Fusion Ceramic window tint
12) Lorenzo WL021 Matte Black/Machined wheels custom powdercoated RJT
13) Faulken FK452 Tires
14) Red valve stem caps
15) Wheel locks locking lug nuts
16) Team LLT badges
17) Chrome back-up light surrounds
18) Oracle RJT Side Marker lights
19) Chevrolet/Camaro exec. signatures on shock towers
20) Apex Washer bottle relocation kit & Intake scoop
21) V-Max Ported Throttle Body
22) Black Iceolator
23) Painted Manifold
24) Engine felt cover removed
25) Pedder's rear sub frame bushing inserts, raduis rod bushing inserts
26) Pedder's rear sway bar & end links
27) OEM Halo lights
28) BMR front sway bars & end links
29) American Racing Headers long tube headers, high flow cats & specially designed H-pipe
30) HP dyno tune (by BMR High Performance)
31) BMR lowering Springs
32) Vitesse Throttle Controler.
33) Custom painted ACS hood liner

Mods planned:

Heritage grill or ZL1 grill?
MPD1 spoiler
Special paint job (surprise planned)
interior & under hood lighting
More under hood touches
Attached Images

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 05-28-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: adding mods
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Im glad you started a journal

A new bar to hang out in!

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
RubyCamaro
Jan

Here is one of the Crossfire. It is a practical joke played by my brother-in-law. We liked his joke so well, we re-staged it & took another pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 02-21-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
RubyCamaro
Jan

Here is our fleet as it was at that time, in our back yard (right where our garage sits now!) and pics of Ruby after her first good bath & waxing.
Attached Images

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 02-21-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
RubyCamaro
Jan

The young salesman who helped my find my Ruby also told me about Camaro5 Forum. The two things that have really changed my life and been a great source of support through some pretty rough times. Joining Camaro5 soon led me to connect with Tysen & Music City Camaro club. Here we are at our first car show the 2010 Music City Chevy Show.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

By that time I had already added my first mod, mud guards (or gill chip preventers more accurately).
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
RubyCamaro
Jan

I am sure I will get some of this out of chronological order but I will try. I started helping in planning events for Music City Camaro club. We found out there was going to be a big event at the Bowling Green, Ky Corvette Museum in which they were having a display of Camaros at the museum & activities to go along with it. We planned to have the club converge on the event. The museum ended up cancelling the larger event due to not enough folks pre-registering, but they still had the Camaro display at the museum & the club still went. It was not a huge turnout, but for us, it was the largest up to that point. It was great fun & most of that group is still among the core members of our club. Here are some pics from the event. Can you tell this car was already changing me? I look like a totally different person from when I bought the car.
Attached Images

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 04-07-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
RubyCamaro
Jan

Here are some pics from installing the Elite catch can. They sent the wrong bracket & we did not catch it until I had already cut the tube & I had to drive to work the on Monday. It was a holiday weekend but I was still able to get both Chase & someone from Elite to respond to e-mails & they got the right one sent right out. But we had to rig up a temporary solution until it arrived, then re-did it. Mike did not like small bit of threads of the screw that went through the bracket into the radiator mount so he later rigged up another solution (I'll post those pics when I find them).
Attached Images

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 12-24-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Bout time you started your build thread Ruby, welcome and a job well done on your ride!!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
RubyCamaro
Jan

I think an important part of the story for my Camaro and me is the role this site has played in my automotive education. From the very beginning I discovered that anything I wanted to know/understand, I could learn on C5. I started to read feverishly and what information I could not find by searching, I could ask and someone would always know the answer, and explain it in a way you could understand it without making you feel like an idiot. An early example is seen in this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98413

It still never ceases to amaze me that I learn most any important thing here before anywhere else. Any big news story gets posted here before I see it on TV or other internet sources; any trending video, yep, I'll see it here first; breaking automotive news, again, here first; Any question on any topic whatsoever, ask it here and someone will know the answer; need help with something.................anything, ask here and without a doubt, someone will help you with it...................and at virtually any time of the day or night. You just gotta love C5!

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 02-04-2022 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I took those pics of you and Mike at the Corvette museum

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
guapo
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro LT2/RS
cool build, keep it up. Love the color. What mods have you done, if any, I have a simular color. There are tons of inexpensive mods if you need help let us know.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
laditee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Very nice thread Ruby...I have to agree with the rest...It is about time u joined the "Members Journal"

Tags
rubycamaro