Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
beautiful G-bodies! Monte SS was one of my dreamcars growing up.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
bubsy73

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS
Upflying...Yes I am registered on montecarloss.com....bubsy83 over there (8forJR, 3for SR) lol

I will try to add updates...my motivation comes and goes because this project has been going on for so long...this week I put in the new door lock cylindars, door handles and side mirrors on the doors. I am fighting the electrical gremlins with my lights and signals. I have the Shop Manual for the car as well as the electrical one, and to be honest, I am in over my head with the electrical and I am waiting for my Dad to come help, hopefully this weekend.
I also still have to put in the door lock actuator and window regulators and they are spot welded into the door frame, so I have a weld cutter on its way and a buddy that can weld after I get new ones in place. My goal is to get her street legal at the very least in the next month and drive her and put some break in miles on that brand new 350. I will paint her later when the cashflow improves or I can't take looking at how ugly she is in the sunlight up close lol....might make for a sleeper, lol people might think that ugly car is on her last legs and boom! Rev the motor and give them a heart attack! We shall see I guess!
Thanks for the replies, it's good to see some other Monte's in the group and g-body's. I wished I could have a 2+2 as well, and maybe a GNX....I might consider givng up the Camaro for them, lol jk my husband would kill me...he's a dodge guy
bubsy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
The electrical gremlins is probably related to grounds. Wiggle the wiring and bulb sockets to see f they work.
I replaced my window motors and regulators by drilling out the spot welds and replacing them with rivets. No welding needed.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
bubsy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
The electrical gremlins is probably related to grounds. Wiggle the wiring and bulb sockets to see f they work.
I replaced my window motors and regulators by drilling out the spot welds and replacing them with rivets. No welding needed.
Thanks for the tips! I will keep plugging and let you know how I make out!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Images of proud GM racing heritage and the late, great Dale Earnhardt..

Im sure I'm not the only one who things mid to late '80s NASCARs were some of the BEST looking ever. Granted I'm partial to the Thunderbirds of the era, but they all looked awesome.

None of the crap they drive now.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #20
KARLOR

Drives: '16 Colorado Z71 Trail Boss
GREAT to see this thread growing up my mom had a 1978 Monte and a 1982 Monte she traded-up in 1986 for a Buick Regal(smoother ride). My dream car at 16 in 1989 was a MonteCarlo SS. Never got the dream---- But did get a great 1984 Pontiac Grand Prix LOVED that car. It was two-toned blue with T-tops!!!!! Had some great times in that car!!!Kept it for 5 years--- in the end had to trade it could not afford the repairs and college-----still miss it.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #21
bubsy73

Been a while. The warmer weather had me in the garage checking ground wires for the signal lights. And I found this...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363036423.531820.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  132.1 KB

So I thought, wow this must be my problem! So I put a new connecter on it and put it back where it belonged on the rad support and was sorely disappointed!

Here's what it's doing..

Signal right both back and front work properly.
Signal left and the back is working properly but the right signal on front flashes, not the left.

I guess I could drive her if I only turned right lol

So now I'm back reading schematics in the electrical manual.

I pulled all the bulbs and cleaned the contacts and wiggled the wires like up flying suggested. I'm sure it's right under my nose and I'm determined to beat this little gremlin! :-)
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
techinny

Drives: '18 Sierra Denali '05 GMC 2500HD
I know this may sound stupid but, try swapping the right and left bulbs. My train of thought is that the left hand bulb is bad.

Had: 2010 SS/RS M6 Hurst STS, Noweeds
techinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
bubsy73

I'll do that! Not stupid at all and never thought of that! Thanks for the idea, cause my brain feels overloaded and I've never trouble shot electrical before. So I appreciate any suggestion and Murphy's law usually indicates something simple to fix seems to hide in plain obvious view lol
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
techinny

Drives: '18 Sierra Denali '05 GMC 2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsy73 View Post
I'll do that! Not stupid at all and never thought of that! Thanks for the idea, cause my brain feels overloaded and I've never trouble shot electrical before. So I appreciate any suggestion and Murphy's law usually indicates something simple to fix seems to hide in plain obvious view lol
So I did not have to explain any further. Electrical troubleshooting is a big part of my job, and as far as your statement of hiding in plain sight, I got bit by that very thing a couple weeks ago!!!

Had: 2010 SS/RS M6 Hurst STS, Noweeds
techinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Remember that we have CAI's for the Monte Carlos, not the older style that most of you are posting about, but as early as 2000 we have you covered!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Bubsy, here's a build, and feedback, that might give you an idea or three...

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...oject-SicMonte

Hard to overlook the SFI/intercooled Turbo Regals/Grand Nationals of that era. They were the ultimate terrors of their day.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
bubsy73

I do have an 02 Monte SS but I'm currently working on my 84 before I start messing with the 02. But thanks!

And thanks Lowdown for that link! I'm seriously thinking I've under done my car lol but the spray paint deal would make mine look better in the meantime! I spray painted an old mx-3 (beater car before the 02 Monte) and it looked better than my 84 does now!

I've been contemplating the 200r or 700 r tranny and an 8.5 rear end this entire time! Yet the th350 tranny can take a beating and they're cheap, so I've been told (by my dad). I'd also like to ditch the rear drums and beef up the disc brakes. That thread will definately be a good shopping guide once I get rolling, that's for sure!

I appreciate you sharing that!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
bubsy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinny View Post
I know this may sound stupid but, try swapping the right and left bulbs. My train of thought is that the left hand bulb is bad.
So I switched bulbs and neither front light would signal. So I put the bulb back where it worked on the passenger side and replaced the bulb on drivers side. Passenger side works and drivers side still doesn't. I noticed the original bulb in drivers side was old and passenger side was new and found the other new one and put it in instead.
I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting a brand new wiring harness kit including new fuse box from summit racing for roughly $550 +. And be done with it. The wiring is almost 30 years old and known to become brittle. So time to save some coin, but in the meantime I'll continue to fiddle fart around with the issues I have and see if I learn something's! lol